4210 Enough ?

/ 4210 Enough ? #1  

minkman

hi folks im new here and would appreciate advice on tractor size for my property. I will be gettin green. I have a great dealer close by. here is my scoop, I have 4 acres 1 of which is yard. I have a mower for the yard but want a tractor to brush hog 3 acres plus clean hedge row and variouse loader work as well as snow removal. Is the 4210 ok for this? I have read on other post that this tractor is under powered. Any 4210 owners I would like to hear from you folks as well. Thanks, Mike

/ 4210 Enough ? #2  
I'm not a 4210... but 4310 is pretty close. I think it would certainly be both large enough and powerful enough. I've got two lots, and I've been exclusively working the smaller one since I bought the tractor. I've done what I consider to be an amazing amount of work with the 4310. What it sounds like you intend to do is well within the range of a 4x10 tractor. Have you driven and tried one out yet? One piece of advice, if you get the Front End Loader (FEL) get the heavy duty bucket and possibly a toothbar for it. It will hold up real well, and the toothbar is a great investment.

Good Luck.

/ 4210 Enough ? #3  
I would second what Steve says. I think that model would work well for you.

I did not get the HD bucket nor the Toothbar. In hindsight it would have been money well spent at the time so I could have negotiated that into the price.

Let us know what you get and post pictures!

/ 4210 Enough ? #4  
Welocme to TBN and the JD forums...I have a 4210 E-hydro with 165 hours on it to date. I have 10.5 acres, 5 of which is yard, and I mow ATV trails in the back 5.5 acres. The trails get really overgrown, but the 7-Iron MMM does a great job of rough cutting as well as lawn mowing.

Some people say the 4210 is underpowered but I have only had to use full throttle in low range one time, to drag a 3000 lb. slab of reinforced concrete to the end of my lot. Usually I run out of traction long before I need more power. My tires are non-loaded turfs, which may contribute to the lack of traction, but I am still happy with the tire choice as most of my operating hours are mowing time and they give rather good traction in snow.

I have a few minor gripes about my JD...the parking brake is weak, the factory toolbox is a joke, and I'd like to be able to change the oil and filter with the loader attached. But overall, I am quite pleased with my tractor.

About the FEL available for the 4210--the 420 is a very good loader and has ample power for my needs BUT I wish it had the greater lift height of the 430 FEL. Had I realized how much loader work I would end up doing around here I would have upgraded to the 4310/430 combination. Good luck !!

/ 4210 Enough ?
Thanks for the info, price wise this is what i get from my dealer ( I also priced a 4310/430)

4210 e-hydro 4x4
r4 tires, 420 loader w/heavy bucket
mid pto, ballast box, I-match
lx5 cutter w/slip clutch and safety chains
Total=$20,490.00 (includes tax)
4310 w/same package was $22,114.00

/ 4210 Enough ? #6  
minkman,

The 4210 will certainly do what you need. I don't have a 4210 but I would not call it under powered. Certainly not for doing what you have described. In fact , I had a 20hp JD 755 on 5 acres doing the same stuff you described, plus mowing the lawn, and it did the job.

However.....I suggest you strongly consider the 4310 with the 430 loader. I think the extra cost is worth it. Not so much for the increased HP but the increased hydro pump capacity and lift capacity of the 430 loader. I also think the 4310 may have better resale appeal in the future over the 4210. Absolutely nothing against the 4210, I just feel that the market demand for a used 4310/430 will be stronger than for a 4210/420 given the difference in capabilities and the small difference in price.

I may be biased as I now own (2 weeks) a 4310. I considered the 4210 (heck, I considered the 4115). I also considered the 4410 but all it offers over the 4310 is 3HP. Everything else is the same. At $1800 more in list cost ($600/HP) I knew I would never see the difference for what I'm doing.

If you do a search on the 4310 in the JD buying forum you will find lots of useful tips for what options are worth considering at the time of initial purchase. The advice will apply to the 4210 as well.

Good luck,

Jeff

/ 4210 Enough ? #7  
The 4210 or even the 4115 should be fine. You wouldn't regret the 4310, hey have you looked at the 4410? ( /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) The current 4210s may have better hydraulics than what is listed on the brochures (running change)

you should be able to get a 430 on a 4210...

/ 4210 Enough ? #8  
Personally, I think a 4115 (or even a 4110) will do the job just fine. The only limiter is how much Hydraulic oompf you need. What kind of loader work will you be doing? Digging ponds or hauling mulch, moving wet sand or firewood? If you plan on using tractor hydrulics for a wood splitter or something, you will probably want more hydraulic capability. The reason to go for larger is, you don't always know what your going to do with a tractor until you get it and find out how useful it is. The reason to go smaller is cost and manuverability.

I suspect you will be happy with any of the series.

Cliff

/ 4210 Enough ?
Thanks, my loader work will consist of dirt, snow, some rocks, and other rip rap found in hedge rows and old barn foundation. my cutter will be used to maintain 3 acres that is an old cut corn field now. Future attatchments will be a backhoe (maybe), tiller, and a posthole digger. Mike

/ 4210 Enough ? #10  
with the backhoe and post hole digger as possible options, and the 4210 as where you started, I wouldn't go down from there.

One important thing is that you know (and you already stated that you did) what is available above where you are looking. The 4310/430 us ~1500 more. Is that savings good enough? If it were me, I'd ask the dealer for a little better deal on the 4310, but if he stuck by those number asnd I decided to go with the 4210, I'd be awful pleased with it...