Upgrading-Which would you do?

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #1  

DJLX

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Purchased a X585 in June and it has 35 hours on it. Bought a Johnny Bucket Sr. and have used it alot. There has been times when it would be nice it would be to lift higher than the JB Sr can. A 3 pt would be nice also. The cost of adding a loader and PTO/3pt. to the X585 would be around
FEL/weight $3300
PTO $715
3pt. $465

Total $4480

I went to a gealer to see if trading for a 2210 w/FEL would be less expensive. This is what he quoted
2210 w/FEL $14700
X trade-in - $8500

Total $6200

This doesn't include the money already spent for the Johnny Bucket which may have some resale value. Most important it doesn't take into consideration the depreciation loss of $2500.00 on the X /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I would like to have a tiller eventually for garden and also for some landscaping.
If adding attachments to the X585 weren't so high this would be a moot point. Whadda think?

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #2  
Sell the x585 yourself, and buy the 2210 with FEL outright, at a lower cost than what was quoted, I would think. That is too much a difference, IMO. $4500 seems more like what I would expect.

A depreciation of about $1500 per year (one year old) on the x585, and add $3000 for the FEL on the 2210 for a total of $4500. I'm not a dealer, but have traded up my 400's for several years.

What did you pay new for the X585?

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #3  
Have them sharpen the pencil on the 2210. I got one in July for 12,200...2210/62MMM/54"FEL/ Ballast Box/Grille Gaurd

/ Upgrading-Which would you do?
Not sure of the top of my head was around 11k plus, probably too much. The dealers around here seem to quote list. Maybe if I were't using JD credit it would be cheaper?

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe if I were't using JD credit it would be cheaper? )</font>

JD dealer doesn't care if you use JD credit or not. Has no affect on them, even if it's 0%, that
according to my dealer.

Cliff

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #6  
Trade in bites. Taking all the depreciation on the first year is the hard part. I was recently talking about trading my 2210 in to go to a 4110. Bought it new last May, now has 176 hours. I went with the zero down deal and have made $3800 in payments. They were going to add $1800 to the price of the 4110. So it cost me little over $5600 to use the 2210 for 15 months.

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #7  
I am guessing that the dealer is really padding their margin on the 2210 to make it seem like your not loosing as much on the x595. The market for used garden tractors is terrible and there is no question your going to loose your shirt.

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #8  
I also have the x585 (150hrs), but with the FEL. It's been great, never ceases to amaze me what that little thing is capable of. But now I find myself needing a backhoe (I posted under a previous x595 thread) for some larger projects.

Visiting my dealer for the same discussion today. He has trouble getting 2000 series machines but always has 4000's on the lot. He tends to 10% off list for on-the-lot gear, less flexible if he has to order it. He has a 4110 with FEL & backhoe, HST transmission, a quick back-of-the-napkin chat and he's talking $22k for it - I'll learn the trade-in value of my 585 today and post later.

-Norm

/ Upgrading-Which would you do?
egnots
It sounds like you have used the FEL alot. I know what the specs say but do you know how much weight it really can carry.
Anything you dislike about it?
Can you take off the MMM with the FEL on?
Did you you get the Regenerative Bucket Kit?

Thanks

/ Upgrading-Which would you do? #10  
I don't know how much weight exactly but I use a utility trailer w/wood staked sides to move stuff around my property. The bucket, heaping full of crushed stone or gravel, has no problem clearing the 3 1/2 ft side of the trailer. I've also loaded the bucket by hand as full as I can get with field stone and slate. It will come off the ground about a foot before it starts groaning, this gives me plenty of clearance to move around the yard to where I need it - as long as I'm just dumping on the ground.

The FEL doesn't raise, tilt or dump rocket fast but it's perfectly fine for what I've needed. If you get one, maybe have the dealer weld on tow or chain hooks to the bucket. I could've used them a bunch and will have it done next time I have the whole rig in for service. I need to be in 4WD when using the FEL, it's a gas hog like this, maybe a gallon/hr of use or more.

If you leave the FEL attached you can attach/remove the MMM as usual. However, if the FEL is removed you need to remove the MMM before you can re-attach the FEL due to the way the various brackets attach to the front frame. The FEL comes on and off in less than 5 minutes; 4 hydraulic connections and unsnap the FEL handle from the seat and back-up; you're done. I use a ballast box with the quick-tatch pins, this too goes on and off in a flash. I find myself adding and removing the FEL and MMM a couple of times over the course of the weekend depending on what projects I'm doing. Not a pain unless you're the impatient type.

I don't know what the regen bucket kit is you mention...doesn't mean my dealer didn't install it but it wasn't listed on the invoice.

I got a good deal (I think) on the 585 & 62C deck for $10,300, it was the dealer demo with 25 hours on it & full warranty with the 50hr service free. I then paid list for the FEL, he doesn't normally carry them.

On a trade-up to a 4110 he'll give me what I paid for the 585 set-up and do 8% off list on the new unit. Ends-up being a little over $10k to get the backhoe...about the same price as contractors want to do the various projects I need done. Here in Vermont he doesn't come across many used CUTs, people just keep them forever. Used mowers (like the 585) however, are easier to find and therefore less valuable to him. Decisions, decisions.

-Norm