John Deere 318

/ John Deere 318 #1  

tphauler

Hello everyone. I am new to your site and found it to be quite interesting. I have no JD background so I thought I'd try to get some. I have a chance to bid on a 318 in what I would consider fair condition. It has a brand new 48 in. power blower deck with baggger. I'm not sure of the year. It has a linmar ? engine. I don't believe it has been started for years. I put some fuel in the carb and it started right up. The hour meter says 1245. I moved it with the hydro and it went fwd and rev. Just looking for thoughts on what this machine may be worth. Also wondering if there are any specific items to check for. Look forward to chatting with the folks in the JD fold. Thanks Jeff

/ John Deere 318 #2  
It's very difficult to start throwing values around without seeing the machine. I can offer that the 318 is a very desirable/collectible garden tractor because it represents Deere's breakthrough with both a hydrostat tranny and power steering. The fact that the tractor you are looking at has a "Linmar" tells me that the engine has been replaced. The machine most likely was delivered with a stock Onan engine. Linmar bought out Onan and still carries both names, but newer blocks will be apparent. My first blush tells me that the Onan was replaced--not necessarily a bad thing. I'm always sniffing for parts for an old Onan I have on a Gravely rider. Not because I need them yet, but because I know OEM parts are nearly impossible to find.

A little more on the engine model and spec, as well as the serial number of the machine will likely clarify your questions. You might also consider taking this to the Lawn and Garden discussion board where you will find a few more expert members on JD GTs. There are also a few "clubs" out there that are dedicated to JD garden tractors. Good luck.

/ John Deere 318 #3  
Jeff,

I bought a 318 not too long ago in fair condition with a motor than needed some work for 1900 bucks. Best body in my area I could find. I saved a lot of money by redoing the motor myself and it's only the second motor I have torn apart in my life. Good 318s will bring up to 3 grand here and in the roughest shape possible not running locked motors will still bring 1 grand.

Pete,
Have you tried to go to a Cummings store to look for Onan parts for your Gravely? I went there since I could not order a component tech man from the JD where I work so I spent 15 bucks at Cummings and had them orded me a tech man for the motor to tell specs and do various jobs like set points. I bet the Cummings store can get you all the parts you need. If not mybe see if the model # of your motor matches up with any Deeres that usd Onan's like the 400, 420, 318 etc. I can still buy every internal part for my 318's motor.

/ John Deere 318 #4  
Welcome to TBN...you came to the right place to ask questions. I have an '89 318 with 1400 hours on it, still has the OEM Onan but that needs a rebuild.

Check the hydro system very carefully, make sure the mower lift works and the PS is operating properly. Hopefully the prior owner changed the fluid and filter frequently.
Repairs to the system would be quite expensive, on my 318 the PS cylinder leaks and that is a $200 replacement part.
The steering should turn smoothly lock to lock with no sticking or catching.

Check for looseness in the front axle kingpins, there should be little play in those if the hour meter is correct.

One of the problems I had with my JD was it frequently needed switches (PTO engagement, ignition, neutral safety) replaced but those are inexpensive items. Other than batteries and two sets of tires, I never had to replace any other parts outside of normal maintenance items.

Around here a clean 318 with 1200 hours normally sells for about $2200-$2500 in good shape. The cost new would have been about $5500 so they hold their value pretty well.

Good luck !!

Bill