Deere 4x10 Electronics

/ Deere 4x10 Electronics #1  

ArkCivEngr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT, John Deere X495
I'm sure there are lots of folks around who can tell me about the electronic operating system on the Deere 4x10 series. I looked at a 4310 recently and everything was fine until I got to the back of the machine, just below and behind the seat, and saw a large cluster of wires running "hither and thither." This sight made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Besides this, there's the control panel sitting on top of the right fender, which makes me wonder what happens when a stick or root gets caught in the tire tread. It just seems like asking for lots of trouble. But then again, I keep thinking that Deere wouldn't risk who-knows-how-much warranty work (not to mention hits on their reputation) putting out something that wouldn't work.

Any 4x10 owners out there willing to share their thoughts/experiences about the electronics, I'm all ears.

/ Deere 4x10 Electronics #2  
Well, I have a 4410 and absolutely love it. At 40 hours I had a root grab a hold of the wires that run to the PTO & MFWD solenoids and rip them out. Cost me $50 to replace them. It will be another $300 to put skid plates on the tractor (Deere should put these on standard). These solenoids sit on the side of the transmission beside the right rear wheel.

Deere could have done a MUCH better job with the wiring. But I wouldn't trade it for any other tractor. With the hydo drive on one side and the brakes on the other was one of the biggest selling points for me and the E-Hydro is awesome.

/ Deere 4x10 Electronics #3  
I agree with PsRumors - I have "injured" my electronics once from brush damage on the underside, it was an easy repair that I made myself. With that said - In day to day work the electronics really do help. You have adjustments for braking and throttle input (motionmatch) - (loadmatch) which keeps the tractor from stalling, I've NEVER stalled this machine regardless of the load I throw at it. Cruise control - easy 4WD engagement, no clutch... Heck, I can go on, but they have designed a nice tractor with great features.

It could be improved by better isolation of the wiring. When I 1st got the tractor I would go over anything until I learned my lesson messing around with the wiring. and once damaging my hydraulics. These things are tough, but not indestructible.

/ Deere 4x10 Electronics #4  
Ditto on all the above. I have snagged my wires, and should get the skid plates. As to the electonic contols in the fender, that is the least of your worries. If you tear that up, you will really be tearing things up! They are well protected there...

Now, think of the options.

Non ergonomics and reduced features. Climb on a Jinma, the shift is between your thighs and levers are asily within reach (if you walk on your knuckles..) Not saying they are bad but there are no ergonomics... Steve is right about the usefulness of the electronics. It was such a shock when we stalled ours recently... Turned loadmatch back on and its a whole 'nuther animal...

Mechanical linkages. Yikes, get a stick caught in there! Bend one, and you may never get thing right again... Not to mention being complicated to work on...

SO, Deere has a great design. Too bad they didn't do a better job covering the area under the deck right behind the hst pedals. That seems to be the one thing that get into trouble the most.