4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #1  

Jrrcorp

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4410
One dealer who is quoting me on a new 4410 says I'm better off with the wheel weights than filling the tires with water and anti freeze. My Kubota has had loaded rear tires with calcium and water for 23 years and the only problem has been if you put a stick thru the tire you have to wait for a tire man who can field repair a loaded tire. We got a great guy not to far from us but some day he's going to retire, then what? Anybody got an opinion about which is better?

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #2  
I have mine filled with windshield washer fluid. I then add the ballast box. If ever need more, I would add higher sides to the ballast box (borderline doing that now). Then, if needing more, I would put on the wheel weights. But I don't like the looks of wheel weights. Just an opinion from here.

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #3  
I prefer loaded tire for the lower center of gravity, plus it's more weight than wheel weights AND I can always add wheels weights at a later date myself if I want them. I don't feel like loading tires at a later date, though (or ever /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). My tires are loaded with RimGuard www.rimguard.biz and am very happy with the results. The tractor is very stable when mowing ditches.

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #4  
I think it's a personal preference. After a few decades, you will need to replace your rims because the calcium will eventually eat them. I think wheels look naked without weights on them, but that's just me. One thing for sure, you can get a tire off and on by yourself allot eaiser if they aren't loaded.

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #5  
GreenRules
Weighted tires on and off easier IF you remove the weights first?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #6  
I loaded mine myself with used antifreez, it costed $6 total... That was for the fill adapter, I already had a submersible pump and a garden hose.

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #8  
Other reasons for maybe using wheel weights:

Should you temporairly need a lighter tractor for some reason (mowing when it is wet, transport, driving over a bridge you're worried about) you can remove wheel weights. You can also remove the "downhill" wheel weights if need be for optimal stability on a slope. Not big plusses, but something to think about.

Cliff

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires
Well guys, I went thru the winter with double wheel weights with no problems but then I had the 430 FEL on the front and a 5' snow blower on the rear and I was on the driveway all the time. But now, with the blower off and the box scaper on the rear, I picked up a stump with a lot of dirt clinging to it and lifted the rear end off the ground. I did'nt like that. I really didn't want the extra weight for grass cutting purposes but now I think I should have tubes and Rim Gaurd put in the rear tires which will add about 1000 lbs. The 430 loader can lift more than this 4410 can handle safely without more weight on the rear end and according to JD's loader specs, the rear tires really nead to be loaded. Better safe than dead. I guess I can live with a few marks in the grass.

/ 4410 Wheel weights VS. loaded tires #10  
I have loaded tires with Rim Guard, and personally prefer this. Loaded tires put the weight more directly to the tread surface rather than the rim to sidewall. This allows running a lower air pressure. You also have less rotating mass as while the fluid does take power to move, it does not spin with the tire.

40 gallons per tire in my 43-16-20's for 828#. IIRC, it was $200 to do this. Not sure what cast weights are per #

Rim guard is environmentally safe also.