JD Extended warranty

/ JD Extended warranty #1  

Jim_n_Motown

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310 Hydro 4WD R4s
I wonder if anyone has used a company called fail-safe for an extended warranty? I am looking to buy a JD 4310 and my dealer offered me a six year warranty for $1000. It supposedly covers everything the original warranty covers and they pick up and deliver for free. They will also get you a loaner while your tractor is in for repair.

Has anyone been offered this or signed up for this extended warranty?
Thanks!

/ JD Extended warranty #2  
If it's not a John Deere Company warranty, I wouldn't buy it.

What if the company goes broke and out of business, you are out a $1,000.00. This has happened numerous times in the auto industry.

/ JD Extended warranty #3  
I agree with froggy. I purchased an extended warranty on a used truck once. I knew the transmission was not really good. They paid, I think, $800 on a $1400 bill. I think I could have talked them down the money for the warranty and been ahead.

/ JD Extended warranty #4  
I was never offered a third party warranty of any kind. If it would have been offered I would have:
1. Been embarrassed for him. Offering a warranty on the best brand (and product) in the CUT industry. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Clearly a money grab.
2. Laughed as I turned it down.
Third party warranties are a huge cash cow for the dealer, whather it's a tractor dealer, auto dealer, appliance dealer, etc. Typically the dealer keeps half of the amount, $500 in your case. In many cases this "bonus" from the warranty sale can exceed the profit the dealer made on the sale (not including dealer holdback and volume incentives). The chances of you having to ever use the warranty are very slim. The warranty period is chosen based on the expected fail rate. In the case of your tractor they're expecting it to go six years with no problems.
If it was me I'd pass and put the money towrds an extra toy (rear blade, extra lighting, automotive style cruise option, etc) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD Extended warranty #5  
It would have to depend on the make, model (therefore, the actuarial expected frequency of breakdown expected for your purchase) as well as the reputation and listed insurer and re-insurer behind the third party service contract company.

Since it is not regulated, there are many uninsured third party service contract companies out there who should be out of business at best and jailed at worst.

On the other hand, if you were purchasing a different make and model that does not have the reputation of JD, and the third part service contract provider was insured by an "A" rated company (and freely provided proof), and had a good reputation and price, it may be worth considering. In the automotive business, it is generally the fool who spends twice as much or more to purchase the "factory" service contract when a quality, often times better insured, third party service contract can provide the same or better service for half of the price of the "factory" contract.

The statements that all third party service contract providers are bad is obviously based upon flawed logic. It is logic going from the general to the specific, which is flawed and not accepted as a prudent or intelligent method of comparison or debate. One can argue from the specific to the general with more chance of success.

By saying that all third party providers are bad because someone had one that was bad, would be like saying that all pickup trucks are bad because I purchased one that is bad.

By arguing specific to general, one shows more logic and intellect. Such as, I purchased a Yugo 4 door sedan and it was bad. Several of my friends have purchased a Yugo 4 door sedan and they were bad. Therefore, it seems that most Yugo 4 door sedans are bad.

However, in that same argument if you simply said that you purchased a car and it was bad. your friends purchased cars and they were bad. Therefore, all cars are bad, that would be flawed and poor logic

To make sense and be credible, you must argue specifics. By the original poster simply saying that they were offered a third party service contract, it is not possible to reasonably argue that it would be a bad decision and that all third party service contract providers are bad. To state such is based upon incomplete and flawed logic. If names, insurance companies, specific incidents, and specific contract variables were given, it may be more possible to argue the merits. Is the contract a named peril contract or an exclusionary contract? We don't know. Is it insured? We don't know. What is the reputation of the selling company? We don't know. Who accepts and will honor whe service contract? We don't know.

Simply put, there is not enough information to make an informed and intelligent reply based upon the information given. Sorry for the lecture, but in debate and business, sooner or later you will get in a compromising position and become the fool by using faulty logic to argue your case. Okay, sorry, my lecture is over. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD Extended warranty #6  
Without intentionaly piling more on to either side of the discussion, there are certainly some situations with a tractor where I would buy an extended warranty or insist on the manufacturer to extend a warranty on a tractor's system or systems. For example, if I had a problem with the hydrostat on a machine that had to be fixed more than once, or the dealer and company refused to acknowledge a problem, I would seriously consider buying an extended warranty if I was confident of a high risk of failure and willing to bet the failure would happen. However, I would first be assertive in requesting the manufacturer extend a warranty on the system(s) as part of the warranty resolution.

On the other hand, if my machine was healthy and reliable for me, as well as for the majority of other owners of the same make and model, I wouldn't place a bet on its failure.

As a person who knows a bit about gambling and gambling regulation, I equate buying an extended warranty with placing a bet that your tractor will fail and the cost to repair it will be greater than the premium for the policy. Essentially, these warranty companies and insurance companies are getting us all to bet that someting will go wrong and it will cost more to fix it than the premium. Of course I recognize that peace-of-mind cannot be priced on an equal level for everyone. Each of you have to put your own price on that factor.

Warranty companies and insurance companies generally take in more money in premiums than they pay out in claims (plus their overhead)--except for hurricane policies the last few years. The only thing we have going for us as consumers is our inside knowledge and experience that something will, or will not, go wrong. My rule is to not let anybody sell me anything based in "fear of loss" that they create with their pitch. Bottom line: rely on your own fear of loss based on real, factual information and experience for your machine, model, and the manufacturer.

/ JD Extended warranty
Thanks for all the great feedback! I guess the reason I am even considering the extended warranty is because this particular dealer is about $500 cheaper on the tractor. However he is about 50 miles away and doesn't have free pickup if I have a problem. So the way I guess I am looking at it is the warranty would cost me $500 instead of a $1000. The dealer closer to me has free pickup but would only come down to within $500 of the price. I am trying to negotiate that the lower priced dealer at least guarantee a couple of free pickups in case something major is wrong.

2 days left to make a decision!!

Has anyone heard if JD is going to extend the low financing?

/ JD Extended warranty #8  
Remember, the price on the service contract is negotiable, no matter what they act like. Secondly, make sure to ask who their warranty company is insured by, and if they will pay any dealer anywhere by credit card to do your warranty work. Most reputable third party service contract (warranty) company will do so. That way, you could actually get your warranty work done at your closer dealership and they will be paid via credit card at full retail prices, just the same as if you were paying the bill. Not many service departments will turn that down. Oh yeah, that is another key item, make sure that the service contract they are offering you will pay full retail for parts and labor for the repairing facility.
I obviously have no vested interest in whether you buy from one dealer or another, or if you purchase a contract to cover it. If you are considering it though, feel free to PM me about any detailed questions you have and some questions you definitely need to ask. Either way, you have to do what you feel is going to be the best deal for you; that's the bottom line. Good luck.

/ JD Extended warranty #9  
I do some work at a car dealership. You can't imagine how many times we had third party waranty companies approve repairs and then never pay us. Whenever a customer has one, now, we require them to pay us for the repairs themselves, and then collect from the warranty company. Buying a few engines and trannies is more customer goodwill than we want to outlay....

That said, we sell the manufacturers warranty at a discount, anyone coming here with a third party one is coming from the sharks in the next county...

/ JD Extended warranty #10  
Very well founded reasoning. If a third party warranty company does not have a policy to pay on the spot with their (the warranty company's) credit card for the repairs, then they are not worth considering for just the reasons you mentioned. Likewise, if the repair shop will not accept payment via credit card, look for a real repair shop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif