Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #1  

ionic

Last week the John Deere dealer dropped off a 2210 with a 54" mid-mount deck for us to try. We've not yet purchased it, but after spending the summer looking at all the competitors, we thought the JD was the most comfortable and well designed. We're interested in using it primarily for finish mowing a wide variety of terrain around a 37 acre farm, and we need a vacuum (or material collection system as JD calls it) to remove grass and leaf debris from the lawns. John Deere does not make a vacuum collection system to fit the 2210, which we prefer to the larger size 4000 series tractors for mowing in tight spaces.

The dealer thought he could make a collection system to fit by using the collection bag unit from the 4000 series and the PowerFlow mechanism that fits on the mower deck of JD Lawn and Garden tractors. The system he cobbled together clogs continually due to an incompatible chute design, so it's not going to work. We'd prefer not to use an auxiliary gasoline engine (which the 4000 tractors use) after having numerous problems with that engine on the previous collection system we had. Both Kubota and New Holland make rear PTO-driven collection systems to fit their subcompact tractors, which seems like an excellent idea.

Does anyone have experience with or recommendations on vacuum collection systems that fit the 2210? Will JD come out with a system to fit the 2210 in the near future? Anyone know of other manufacturers that make 3-point hitch, PTO driven systems that will fit the John Deere mid mower deck?

Thanks.

Andrew

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #2  
Check out HastyVac.com, Proteroinc.com Pro-Vac 18, and Trac-Vac.com. As far as I am aware, they all have units that will fit up. HastVac is pto driven, Protero has a "powerflow" like, deck driven blower, and I believe Trac-Vac has a PTO driven unit.

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #3  
ionic,

Can't speak for the collection system, but I would highly recommend the 62" MMM on the 2210. IMO it actually makes the tractor more maneuverable as the overhang is wider than the wheel to wheel width. I measured the uncut circle with the 62C and it was 36". The ROPS is really the issue getting around trees etc. I used to have a 755 and JD made a collection system that used the 3PH hydraulics to dump the leaves/grass. Don't see why they can't make one for the 2210. What about a pull behind like a trac-vac?

Good luck in your decisions.

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #4  
Andrew,
Trac-Vac does make a unit with an auxiliary gas engine blower for vacuum. The one I am most familiar with is the one that utilizes 2 large plastic garbage pails for collection, that is harnessed to the back of the tractor. It does not use the PTO, since it has the gasoline motor/blower. The setup works well, but is not the easiest unit to put on and take off, due to the linkages needed to lift the mower deck. I believe they also make the tow behind cart type, which will have higher capacity.

here's the link:
http://www.trac-vac.com/662.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #5  
<font color="green"> I know the original poster isn't interested in a vacuum material collection system that is not PTO driven but for the sake of others interested in this thread there is an auxiliary engine powered

Trac Vac for the 2210 on eBay right now.

Mike </font>

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #6  
hello ionic I tried out the vacuum system on the bx2230 and had numerous problems with plugging and shearing pins, The kubota dealer took it back and couldn't get it to work either. (Bagging grass not just leaves.) I ended buying a x595 with 62c MMM and blower/bagger and couldn't be happier. I see some of the new kubotas are using the side blower now (GR2100) Good luck.

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #7  
Piedmont Equipment JD dealer in Charlottesville, Va has a 2210 with a vacuum system mounted on its 3 pt, connected to the discharge of the MMM.

Does JD not make a mulching mower? Why do you have to collect the grass? You'll save lots on fertilizer by letting the grass stay. I've been using mulching mowers for years. Think it's Titus 3:42 that says, "Thou shalt not collect grass from lawns." It's similar to Philemon 4:05 that says, "Thou shalt not rake leaves. Mulch them up in place."

Been stealing leaves all week from town people who just collect them and put them out in bags. Really stupid people.

Ralph

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #8  
Ionic,

May want to check out Hasty-Vac.
www.hastyvac.com <font color="blue"> </font>
They have both PTO and Gas driven models. They have a real nice hopper set-up if you don't mind stoping more frequently.
I don't personally have one, but they were recommended and I will be considering it in the spring.

Good Luck!

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210
Thanks for the suggestions on the material collection system. We've since purchased the tractor and deck, but not the collector, so I'm still researching that. The mower is working well, but the tractor is out of commission for a couple days while the dealer fills the rear tires with fluid (free of charge) as preparation for future front attachments.

We're looking to avoid the extra gas engine after having replaced the engine three times over about 15 years on the previous vacuum we had. Those frequent and expensive replacements and the extra maintenance of the engine are things I'm hoping to avoid.

The 54" deck is a better fit for us in tight areas between trees and flower beds, etc., so that's the primary reason for selecting that deck. I had not frankly anticipated how wide the tractor would become with the Powerflow, but it was still managable.

We compost the grass and leaves for mulch and ammendments to use on our organic gardens. Since a lot of the acreage near the house is semi-wooded, having a collector for the leaves is particularly essential. Not having one currently means we've spent hours and hours cleaning up this fall.

Ralph, was the system at Piedmont Equip. a JD or another brand? Do you know if it used a gas engine? We're not too far from Charlottesville, so I may call there and see what the setup is. The dealer in Harrisonburg (Whitesel Bros.) was quoting about $2300 for a JD system with a gas engine, which seemed ridiculously expensive compared to other brands (Trac-Vac, etc.) with more features. The system he rigged with the PowerFlow was about $1700.

Thanks for the help guys.

Andrew

/ Vacuum Material Collection Sys for John Deere 2210 #10  
Ionic,

Funny you should ask this question just now, as I was about to post my latest creation. I previously owned a 445 with the PowerFlow system and the MC519 Material Collection dump cart. I loved the way it worked, and made Fall leaves effortless.

Fast forward. Moved. Bigger house. Bigger lot. Need bigger tractor. Upgraded to 2210 after a year of research. I really struggled between the X-series that can use the collection system, the 2210 with the new X-series deck, but no collection system and a 4110 with the old deck. Betting on the fact I could make it work, I bought the 2210 with the 62” MMM and the Powerflow head and MC519 spec-ed for an X-series.

Just this fall I designed and welded up a bolt on hitch that makes the MC519 cart I-match and 3pt compatible. Works just as great as it did on the 445, but now I can lift it 3ft in the air and dump on previous piles of clippings. You could not do this with the normal setup. I generally end up carrying the cart about 6 inches off the ground while mowing. The 2210 doesn’t mind, and its not as hard on the cart. It does go up and down with the MMM, but that has not been an issue. I plan on designing an independent hydraulic cylinder to replace the push rod off the left 3pt lift arm which lifts the MMM. I would use one of the circuits off the loader control to lift the MMM, and the 3pt would be independent.

Anyhow, check out the photos and let me know what you think. Maybe for the right price, I could make you one too. I have been using it only with the 3pt links and not the I-match as it pushes the cart back another 4” and the chute is a little short, falling off when dumping. Genuine JD parts and no- clog performance, plus no bags to dump!

Attachments

• 527777-Cart Dump 2.JPG
    527777-Cart Dump 2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,674