Looking to purchase new John Deere

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #1  

IWANTAJD

Like many others I've seen, my wife and I purchased 57 acres and will begin building our home in July 05. Will maintain and Snowblow a 660ft. driveway, do virtually no mowing but will brush hog sides of drive as well as 5 acre field. Also, will use loader, tiller, post hole auger and would like capability to use as tractor in woods on maintained skidder roads., possibly in future hauling out firewood and skidding logs for timber sale. 4wd is a must. I've been to the JD web site ---lots of info---I like the 990, 4710 or larger and even the 5105.. Will eventually have a front mount snowblower even though the cost is double. Looking for some input from others outthere. Excellent forum from what I've seen so far. I was up way too late for the last several nights reading many, many posts. So glad to have found this site.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #2  
I always recommend people put their rear end into a machine before they decide what they want. The 990 is a good machine, but very different than the 4710. Features, ergonomics, etc. You seem to be in the right size range, but looking them over on the internet and looking them over in person are often 2 different things. See what fits you best, let that be your guide. You can't be safe if you are not comfortable.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #3  
Personally, I like tractors very straightforward and simple. I'd always lean toward gear trannys and the least bells n' whistles as possible (the KISS principle...Keep It Simple, Stupid).

Bells n' Whistles are fine on a vehicle, which one expects to replace in a few years...tractors are normally kept for many years. The less to go bad, the better..

So, I'd be a 990 fan...or, one of the more basic 5xxx series tractors.

But Bob has a good point...sit yourself on that seat first before you make any decisions.

Good luck!

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere
Thanks, input from others is always helpful.. Will def put myself in the seat. Have several JD dealers within20 to 40 miles. I too like the basics like the 990 but trying to consider the Mrs. because she'll want to run it as well. She grew up with standard vehicles so the clutch is no problem.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #5  
I like simple as well but of those three tractors hands down the 4710 is the best all-around tractor in my opinion. It's small enough to do the little stuff you need done and get around yet big enough that you can tackle most any unforeseen job on that 57 acres. I'd buy it with a power reverser and sync transmission. That would be a nice tractor that I highly doubt you would regret buying. 990 in my opinion would too small and the 5105 is a nice tractor but I like the fit, finish, and ergonomics of the 4710 better. It's also cheaper to add loader, backhoe, etc.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere
Sounds like ergonomics is a big item to consider. Others have noted that in many of the other posts. I watched the pwer reverser video on Deere.com and read the info. Appears to be what you need if you are using a loader lots. I'll be armed with lots of informational ammo when I go to test drive these different models. Just hope the dealing goes smoothly.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #7  
My vote/recommendation=4720 (It is what I wish I had)

I know if you spend any time test driving, you'll know what I mean. Especially after you get it home and become accustomed to it. You won't regret it.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #8  
If you are looking at the 5000 series, my dealer in Michigan has a new 5320 with 541 loader and power reverser advertised for $29,990. Lot of machine for very little more than a large 4000 series.

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #9  
All the talk about simple suggests that the hydro isn't. Yeah, it has bells and whistles, but it is also inherently simple in design, does not have reliability issuwes, and is a joy to use, especially with multiple operators.

A buddy of mine bought the I like things simple approach, and it has been simple for him to change out clutches on his machine! But I haven't had anything near the issues with mine....

/ Looking to purchase new John Deere #10  
The temptation to jump in the gear/hydro question is just to much for me so here is my 2 cents.

I am a true believer in the KISS principal. My first JD was a 950, gear, no synchro, no power steering. It was a great tractor.

I now have a 4110 with HST and power steering and I would never, not ever, go back voluntarily. Every task is simpler and easier. I can cut more grass in less time with a smaller mower with HST. I can tread more gently when needed with the HST and trim closer to all those pines and azaleas.

The 30 ton Travelift I ran for 3 years is all hydraulic and stone axe reliable. When all the covers are off you see how simple it really is. Pumps, pipes, valves, motors. All lubricated by default, overload protection built in and infinite control with just a light touch on the levers. Same thing on the big **** excavator I got to play with once.

So to me, hydraulic IS simple.