Are Deeres really that pricey?

/ Are Deeres really that pricey? #1  

JATO_RaT

Veteran Member
The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California
The John Deere web site has a price configurator that allows you to add various upgrades/options to their line of tractors. After trying it out on a 4700 HST, R4's, and remotes, I thought the price was a little on the high side until I realized that it did'nt even include the loader. For over $5000 less, I can get a comparably priced Kubota L4610 HST. Any experiences on what a JD dealer will sell a comparably priced tractor versus the JD configurator? Thanks in advance, Rat...

/ Are Deeres really that pricey? #2  
My finalists were the JD 4300 and the Kubota L3010. New, the Kubota was about $1000 less than an identically equipped JD. I actually liked the Deere just a bit more, but when I found a gently used low-hours L3010 the price dropped almost $3k. The clincher was the cost of parts. I chose five parts that might have needed replacement some day and priced them for both tractors. The Deere parts were about 30% more than the Kubota parts. It might have been the dealer, not JD, but the cost of parts made up my mind in a hurry.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Are Deeres really that pricey? #3  
The prices on the John Deere web site are LIST PRICES. Prices would be much less at dealers. When shopping for my JD4400 the price between JD, NH & Kubota were all with in a few hundred dollars. I priced several dealers from each brand. I could make several lists of the three brands were each of the 3 would be high, middle or low. It just depends on the dealer.

/ Are Deeres really that pricey? #4  
Rat,

I've mentioned this before, but the John Deere dealers in our area put themselves completely out of the running as far as price goes. They were $5K higher for an "equally equipped machine". They just kept telling me that resale was the big issue. Didn't sell me as I plan on keeping my tractor for a long time with no intent to sell. If I do have to sell, I'm pretty sure I'll get a fair price for the Kubota. Not worth the extra $5K in my opinion.

Kevin