The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California

Default Are Deeres really that pricey?

The John Deere web site has a price configurator that allows you to add various upgrades/options to their line of tractors. After trying it out on a 4700 HST, R4's, and remotes, I thought the price was a little on the high side until I realized that it did'nt even include the loader. For over $5000 less, I can get a comparably priced kubota L4610 HST. Any experiences on what a JD dealer will sell a comparably priced tractor versus the JD configurator? Thanks in advance, Rat...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S

Default Re: Are Deeres really that pricey?

My finalists were the JD 4300 and the kubota L3010. New, the Kubota was about $1000 less than an identically equipped JD. I actually liked the Deere just a bit more, but when I found a gently used low-hours L3010 the price dropped almost $3k. The clincher was the cost of parts. I chose five parts that might have needed replacement some day and priced them for both tractors. The Deere parts were about 30% more than the Kubota parts. It might have been the dealer, not JD, but the cost of parts made up my mind in a hurry.

Pete

www.GatewayToVermont.com

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 hydro, loader, chipper, tiller, bush hog, blade, rake

The prices on the John Deere web site are LIST PRICES. Prices would be much less at dealers. When shopping for my JD4400 the price between JD, NH & kubota were all with in a few hundred dollars. I priced several dealers from each brand. I could make several lists of the three brands were each of the 3 would be high, middle or low. It just depends on the dealer.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2410 with turfs

Rat,

I've mentioned this before, but the John Deere dealers in our area put themselves completely out of the running as far as price goes. They were $5K higher for an "equally equipped machine". They just kept telling me that resale was the big issue. Didn't sell me as I plan on keeping my tractor for a long time with no intent to sell. If I do have to sell, I'm pretty sure I'll get a fair price for the kubota. Not worth the extra $5K in my opinion.

Kevin