Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs?

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
Where\'s the detail/accuracy in the specs?

Pretty frustrating trying to learn about the Deere via brochures. Whether it is tractor or attachments, the specs are lacking.

Take dimensions for example. There is no decent dimension for width of the machine with various tires. Heck it only lists the various tread patterns avail, not the tire specs.. So how does a guy know how wide the front or rear width is with his tire choice? All the web site lists is the sizes of the standard R1 tires. The only place a guy can even learn that there are 2 R4 tire size options appears to be the "Build your own" section.

Then the web says the 4310 has a smaller engine than the 4410, yet the brochure says they are same.

The web site also says 3120, 3520, and 3720 have the same displacement, yet the 3320 has a larger displacement spec.

Good thing I had a tape rule, and visited multiple dealers before I ordered. I picked up a tidbit here, and a tidbit there helping me to arrive at my decision. Many of the trips and questions could have been avoided had the specs been available and accurate...

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #2  
Re: Where\'s the detail/accuracy in the specs?

kennedy,

My experience as well. Some of the early literature (late 80's and early 90's) listed more dimensions. But I can't tell you how many times I visited my dealer with a tape measure in hand. Oh yeah, and how many times I forgot to measure twice, purchase once. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #3  

KennedyDiesel,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pretty frustrating trying to learn about the Deere via brochures. Whether it is tractor or attachments, the specs are lacking. )</font>

The on-line owner's manuals usually have pretty good specs. I haven't seen them for the three thousand twenty series yet but I expect that they'll be available before long.

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #4  

Good Point!

You're in luck! They've been up since about mid January...

Dimensions
NOTE: Height and width dimensions can vary due to dimensional growth of tires.

Wheelbase 1.7 m (68 in.)

Overall Length w/ 3-Point Hitch 3.1 m (120.2 in.)

Overall Width w/ R1 Tires (Minimum) 1.3 m (52.4 in.)

Overall Width w/ R1 Tires (Maximum) 1.7 m (68.4 in.)

Overall Width w/ R3 Tires (Minimum) 1.4 m (53.9 in.)

Overall Width w/ R3 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (59.1 in.)

Overall Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.5 m (58.1 in.)

Overall Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (59.7 in.)

Overall Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.4 m (57.3 in.)

Overall Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.5 m (58.9 in.)

Overall Width w/ Golf Tires (Minimum) 1.5 m (59.5 in.)

Overall Width w/ Golf Tires (Maximum) 1.6 m (64.7 in.)

Inside Width w/ R1 Tires (Minimum) 1.03 m (40.6 in.)

Inside Width w/ R1 Tires (Maximum) 1.4 m (56.6 in.)

Inside Width w/ R3 Tires (Minimum) 1.02 m (40.4 in.)

Inside Width w/ R3 Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (45.6 in.)

Inside Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.1 m (42 in.)

Inside Width w/ 43 x 16.00-20 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.1 m (43.7 in.)

Inside Width w/ Golf Tires (Minimum) 1.02 m (40.3 in.)

Inside Width w/ Golf Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (45.5 in.)

Inside Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Minimum) 1.1 m (42 in.)

Inside Width w/ 15.00-19.5 R4 Tires (Maximum) 1.2 m (43.7 in.)

Height From Ground (with standard R1 tires)
To Top of Hood 1.4 m (57 in.)

To Top of Folding ROPS 2.4 m (93.3 in.)

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs?

THANKS! Kinda goofy that you have to go to the operators manual for the details. FWIW, the minimum width spec is 50" in the literature with no other width specs. The 4310 is curiously slightly lower to the top of the ROPS than the 4210, and spes 6" shorter than the 4410 at 90"

Still trying to track down the engine details. For all intents and purposes, it looks as though there are 3 basic engines. Excluding the letters, the 82, 84, and 88 designations are used. Looks like the 4210, 4310, and 4410 used them in ascending order (book must be misprint) and the 3120 used the 82, the 3320 used the larger 88, and the 35, and 3720 turbocharged the middle sized 84. The 88 in the 3320 is down 2.5HP from the 88 in the 4410 which may be an emissions thing...

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs?

Oh yeah, funny how the larger R4 rears have less ply and capacity, but the larger fronts have more capacity and are 6 ply like the smaller ones.

Wasn't there a big hydraulic filter under the LH floorboard of the 4000-10's, or was that the 20's?

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #7  

KennedyDiesel,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( THANKS! Kinda goofy that you have to go to the operators manual for the details. )</font>

I suspect that the sales literature is created by marketing. Their proof reading on some of the pieces leaves a lot to be desired.

The owner's and technical manuals, however, are usually very detailed and carefully proofed. They appear to have an engineer's level of detail and accuracy.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Still trying to track down the engine details. For all intents and purposes, it looks as though there are 3 basic engines. Excluding the letters, the 82, 84, and 88 designations are used. Looks like the 4210, 4310, and 4410 used them in ascending order (book must be misprint) and the 3120 used the 82, the 3320 used the larger 88, and the 35, and 3720 turbocharged the middle sized 84. The 88 in the 3320 is down 2.5HP from the 88 in the 4410 which may be an emissions thing... )</font>

From the specs in the manual, it appears that the only tractor using the 88mm bore is the 3320. The others use the 84mm bore with various combinations of aspiration and fuel delivery.

Yanmar ordinarily uses the number of cylinders and the bore (in millimeters) in their engine designations. In the case of the three thousand twenty series, the manual shows only two bores, 84mm and 88mm. The differences appear to be that a turbocharger (T) has been added to the 84mm bore engines used in the 3520 and 3720. The 3720 also has an H in the engine designation. High output?

According to an early spec sheet that has been posted here in pdf format, the 3720 engine has an intercooler. Probably to compensate for additional fuel being delivered by the pump. After visiting your web site, I expect that you'll know more about the how's and why's of intercooling than I do.

It appears to me that Deere has eliminated the 4200/4210 tractor with it's smaller hydraulic pump, smaller tires, smaller engine, and shorter chassis (educated guess on the chassis - the short wheelbase of the 42xx was problematic when using a 72 mid mount mower and could allow the right front tire to contact the hoses plugged in to the DSCV hydraulic outlets) in favor of a single chassis with four engine options.

Attached is the spec sheet that was posted here.

Attachments

• 590809-specs.pdf
    21.7 KB · Views: 356
   / Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #8  

KennedyDiesel,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh yeah, funny how the larger R4 rears have less ply and capacity, but the larger fronts have more capacity and are 6 ply like the smaller ones. )</font>

Might be an availability issue. 6 ply on the fronts is probably a blessing if you are using the loader.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wasn't there a big hydraulic filter under the LH floorboard of the 4000-10's, or was that the 20's? )</font>

On the mid chassis four thousand series, the hydraulic filter is in the middle of the tractor between the frame rails. Easy to get to and out of harms way. I seem to remember that the four thousand ten series (at least the prototypes) used the same location.

/ Where's the detail/accuracy in the specs? #10  

<font color="green"> According to an early spec sheet that has been posted here in pdf format, the 3720 engine has an intercooler. Probably to compensate for additional fuel being delivered by the pump. </font>

The intercooler keeps the intake air cool. With turbo engines, the intake air tends to be heated, which robs power from the engine. Cooler air raises the power.