New 4120 vs 5105

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
I'm a new poster on TBN and have been trying to absorb the collective wisdom of the many folk's who contribute to this site for enough months now that my wife is complaining about "tractor obsession". Nonetheless, I'd like to thank everyone for the kind of knowledge that is usually only available from a handful of neighbor's and/or the school of "hard knocks". Recently, I sallied forth with a folder of estimates from the Deere configurator and a fistfull of posts from TBN to my local dealer to see what kind of deal he might offer on either a 4120 or a 5105. I requested a FEL and a hoe for both models. Since I'm in Alaska, the dealer would only offer a flat 10% on the 4120 and 8% on the 5105. Ok, this is Alaska and it would cost me $2500 to saddle up my Duramax and tow a package home. So the flat rate wasn't great but I could almost abide with that position. The kicker to this was when the salesman tacked on more than a $1,000 to each model for freight ($1,170 for the 5105 and $1,014 for the 4120) and parts. Then he got me with the other foot for $1,200 for setup and delivery (I live 14 miles from the dealer)! Needless to say, I'm pretty convinced that I'm wasting my time with those folk's and I'm REAL interested in the poster who indicated that he got a bid in Washington state for a new 4120 with FEL for 24,800. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Thanks again for all the good news on this site and my chance to vent a bit. AKfish

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #2  
It sounds like the dealer thinks he has a captive audience or he's used to selling to the government.

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #3  
High freight seems perfectly understandable given your location. But even if Alaska tends to have a higher wage/cost-of-doing business than the average lower 48 - the high margins and especially ultra-high set up fees just don't seem acceptable. My setup (albeit no hoe) was a third of that for the tractor, fel, and cutter. Not only was delivery free, but so is warranty pickup/return. Is this guy the only dealer within 800 miles or something? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #4  
Were you thinking of driving down here and picking it up? At any rate the dealer is Barnett in Mount Vernon, WA. He's located on Old Rt 99 right off I5.

/ New 4120 vs 5105
The Deere dealership is part of a four store "chain". In effect, there is no real difference shopping in Anchorage or Fairbanks or Wasilla or Soldotna. It's the same outfit. So, they've got a captive audience all the way to Washington state -- 2,200 miles. I guess a guy could try to deal in Canada but I have no idea how that might work?!? Yup, I'm very serious about trekking downhill to tow a package deal home. Working from the numbers that I've seen on TBN and what the dealer quoted -- he's somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,500 above what I might expect in the lower 48.
AKfish

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #6  
Consider doing business in Canada . Im familiar w/ tractor dealers in the US who do business there. So, I would figure that it could be the other way round too. They should be adept at whats needed to export. If that doesnt work then a road trip isnt your last alternative unless you must have a Deere. When I bought my first tractor I ran into the same situation. The Deere dealer was thousands off and unwilling to deal. So, I wound up w/ a New Holland machine which has worked out nicely.

/ New 4120 vs 5105
I'd like to own a Deere. Growing up in So. Dak. I spent summers mowing, raking, baling, cultivating, etc. I have memories of the quality and rock solid machines that Green is famous for. As well, I have some inclination to buy "American". Although, in this day and age of "Internationalism" that may be a foolish holdover. I've gotten an intial quote from the Kubota dealer on the comparable L series machine -- 4330. He's a couple of hundred dollars less than JD. Not enough that I'd seriously consider going Orange. I'll give him another jingle and see if he really wants to sell me a tractor. As well, I'll try a couple dealerships in WA, OR, etc. and see how that shakes out. Canada would be a last resort. Thanks for the feedback.

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #8  
Ironically, I almost think that some of the Kubotas may be more American than the Deeres... My brother-in-law's Kubota has "made in The USA" stamped all over his loader and hoe. Mine are Deere, but I can't find anything that tells where they came from. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #9  
Out of curiosity, what tractor features will end up deciding it for you (if you go Deere) between the 4120 and the 5105? I really liked the '05's but decided to get the more flexible PR tranny of my 4710 over the extra beef of the 05's. The equivalent in a 5220 was just too much more tractor and $$$ for my needs.

/ New 4120 vs 5105 #10  
I got a quote yesterday in Snohomish, WA for a 4120, Hydro, loader, R1's for $26,500. Here in Moscow, ID I just got this quote: hydro, R4's, 400x loader, hood gaurd, 73" bucket, weight ballast for $25,570. No charge for freight, setup, or delivery to my home, which is 4 miles away.

Can any of you guys tell me if these are good prices? Thanks,