3720 v. 4120 or 4320

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow posters,

A question to the group: I just finished a nice afternoon aboard my 4310 tractor. The was the first time in two weeks I have been able to spend any meaningful tractor time. I had fun and accomplished several loader projects today. The tractor performed well. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have tentatively ordered a 3720 (not obligated yet) to replace the 4310. My only complaint with the current machine is that it lacks the horsepower to negotiate the very steep, long hills in my area quickly. On flat ground, it does well. I like the comfort and can tell I have a good tractor. I must confess I am slightly apprehensive about trading to the brand new model. It has the power I want (but do not necessarily need). I am though concerned that it is so new and that I may be trading a good machine for one that is untested and may not be reliable. Should I have this worry?? For this reason, I am loosely looking at the 4120 or 4320 tractors. They are really too big for my needs, but have been out a while, which makes me feel slightly more at ease. I will be doing also some finishing mowing this spring and do not want something so large it compresses the grass and cuts badly with a RFM. The large frames are also more expensive and would require at least a new loader (currently all my 4310 implements are convertable to a 3720). I suppose my main concern is that I do not want to make an expensive mistake. My current machine is fine, it just lacks in something that would be helpful to me. As one of my surgeon friends once said, "The enemy of good is better," meaning that if one has a good result, he/she should not pursue improving "good". My tractor is good, do the fellow posters feel JD has a good enough track record to pursue a brand new model? Would I be better off looking at the large frames, even though they are more than I need? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John M

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #2  
You have not said what trany you have on that unit. If you have a trany with an abc like hydro, or sync and put it into c and expect instant response you will be disapointed with any horsepower. Can you honestly say that your tractor isn't getting the job done in a? If so, what are you pulling? I have a 4300 with sync and it is amazing in low gear. I have a 4210 with e hydro and I don't like it for loader work. It is unpredictable and unstable when maxing out a load in the front loader(balance). I will take 4 or 5 more hp and sync over the hydro any day of the week. Ok, lets hear you hydro guys kill me for that statement.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #3  
jcmseven,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My only complaint with the current machine is that it lacks the horsepower to negotiate the very steep, long hills in my area quickly. On flat ground, it does well. I like the comfort and can tell I have a good tractor. I must confess I am slightly apprehensive about trading to the brand new model. It has the power I want (but do not necessarily need). I am though concerned that it is so new and that I may be trading a good machine for one that is untested and may not be reliable. Should I have this worry?? For this reason, I am loosely looking at the 4120 or 4320 tractors. )</font>

I've owned a first year tractor (1998 4200) for two years (500 hours). They can be problematic.

My experience with Deere is that they will go the extra mile to make things right. In my case, they gave me a choice of them fixing all the issues or crediting me the cost of the modifications against the tractor of my choice. My dealer added to that by allowing me a very fair trade-in value. When I elected to trade for a 4300 and 430 loader plus 4in1 bucket with a Fasse valve and joystick control, the dealer picked up half the cost of the financing. Your mileage may vary.

How soon do you have to make a decision? Historically, Deere tends to make corrections/improvements during production. The longer the tractor has been in production, the more likely it is to have the in-line improvements.

Have you explored the option of trading for a 4410? This would add horsepower without the first year tractor risks and would allow you to maintain implement compatibility.

Do you feel that you under bought on size as well as power? Maybe what you really need is a bigger tractor with more loader capacity. In other words, fewer trips up the long steep hills.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320
Sticky and Jim,

I appreciate the responses. My tractor is the hydro. For me, where I live and with the type work I do (lots of back and forth, not much ground engaging, and lots of work on hills) the hydro seems to fit my needs better. I personally have not operated an e powerreverser tractor, except in the lot at the dealer. Although I did not mind it, I felt it would not be quite as good for my type tasks, so I did not get it. My dealer, after seeing my property, agreed. I do realize the hydro costs some "power to the ground." I have considered the 4410, but the dealer says they are so rare now locally with the new ones coming, that I should not do this. He also says that the difference between that and mine is too small to trade. Jim, with regard to the large frame tractor, I really would only do it to upgrade power, not necessarily for its size. There have been two or three instances where I wished for a larger machine, but not too many. I do not feel I have the acreage to support such a large machine and mostly it would be for a power upgrade. I do appreciate the help, please keep it coming. With the 3720 tentatively coming in 7-10 days, I would like to be prepared. With regard to my reservations about the reliability, I must also include that my dealer is two hours away, making frequent service/problem trips difficult. Thanks.

John M.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #5  
Opinion time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The new 3X20 Series should be a pretty safe bet as they are right now. They are not the quantum leap that the 00 Series was. The motor in the 3X20 Series is still the time tested Yanmar that has been in other applications for a while (boats and gensets), and the OS for the eHydro is a newer, more refined level, not a totally new application. As an added benefit, all your implements swap right over. If you're changing I would get the 3720.
The 4X20 is a new animal, using Deere's own Mexican built motors. From my perspective in the auto industry, Mexican stuff is never very good and the first couple of years it can be awful. Ford builds SuperDuty trucks in Kentucky and Mexico. The Kentucky trucks are better. Dodge builds Rams in Detroit and Mexico; the Detroit trucks are better and that's with the line speed running faster. GM has the same scenarios as well. In each case the assembly lines are idenical, built by the same suppliers using the same tooling. The only difference is the workforce pulling the triggers.
Back to the topic /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Would your dealer be open to a on site demo? He's going to order the 3720 anyway, slip him a little cash to bring it out and run it a little up the same steep hill. It's going to have the FEL mounts already on it so swapping the loader over will take 10 minutes. That's probably the only way to be totally safe with your decision (wallet) before you pull the trigger.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #6  
Jcmseven,

If you are making long fast runs, make sure your tractor is in 2wd.

Are you having the lack of power in A? What attatchments are you experiencing a lack of power with?

You may need to change your fuel filter and buy fuel at different place.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #7  
Try to get some seat time on the 4000-20 if you can. I've been using a 4310 Ehydro and 4710 PRT in the snow and woods for the past few weekends. The power of the 4710 is great, and like you I felt the 4310 to be a bit flat.

I used the 4310 first weekend, and then was offered and took the 4710 for the second weekend as they had just traded it in. Both have similar hours on them.

Yesterday I took the 4310 again. I liked the size for maneuverability etc. The large frame are bigger/stronger, but also bulkier. I wanted something larger than the 4000-10 series, but smaller than the 4000-20 so I went with the larger tires on my 3720.

As for new model concerns, this appears to be primarily a refined body work and a few other refinements to the 4000-10 series. Some cost cutting/simplification, but nothing really negative that I can see.

dmp's comments about the engine mfg plant also turned me away from the 4000-20 as well as the Stanadyne fuel system. Just not something I'd put a lot of faith in.

Still waiting for my loader. Until then I'll play with the dealer's toys...

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #8  
Well, you want a tractor that gets you "work" done sooner, so you can have less seat time... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the 4410, You are right, don't get one, they are great, but not a big enough upgrade to justify the expense of upgrading.

The 3720 is probably the best choice if you must upgrade. I would not worry about the design. I found the 3TNV84 engine over a year ago, it is not something that has been rushed to market.

I do not understand the advice on running in 2WD. MFWD gives you ~40% more power to the ground, The only times that it needs to be off is on hard pavement and if you want to keep from marking the turf. I have only owned two 4wd tractors, but I don't need a light to tell me when it is off. I can tell right away!

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #9  
Rockyridge,
I believe jcmseven never said he had a traction problem.

What he said is "It lacks the horsepower to negotiate the very steep LONG hills in my area QUICKLY. On flat ground it does whell"

I keep my tractor in 4wd all the time except when I am going on a long run and I want to go fast. I can hear the differential hum in 4wd, full out, and in C and it doesn' in 2wd and has more pickup.

Take your tractor to a steep hill that you have good traction (maybe a road for the test)and put the trany in C and excellerate as fast as you can in 2wd then in 4wd. Let me know if you have 40% more hp in 4wd.

Turning 2 differentials is going to eat up some engine power and there is no doubt you will have way better traction in 4wd. Using the pto in 4wd isn't going to increase your engines horsepower eather.

/ 3720 v. 4120 or 4320 #10  
First off, don't take any of this as an arguement.

I was picturing going up those wills with a loaded bucket, or, a hay bale on the rear; in either case, I can tell if MFWD is off within seconds!

Going up my steep hills in "C" range isn't something I would normally even try. But I will, in the name of Science and TBN. I have to warn you, I have some pretty steep ones! I am usually more interested in Survival over Speed with many of mine....