Wider tires for a 4720

/ Wider tires for a 4720 #1  

Turkeyman

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4720 and 5075M
I am working on some details with my dealer on a 4720 but want wider R1 tires. The web site only lists 8-16 -6 PR fronts and 13.6 -28 4PR rears. The old 4700 had optional tires of a 16.9 x24 rear w/8-16 front.

Has anyone got bigger R1's for their new 4X20's? I need the floatation, tracton and height of a bigger tire. I would like R1W's if it would not void the warrenty?

/ Wider tires for a 4720 #2  
My 4710 (which had to be sourced from another dealer out of state) showed up with the 16.9x24's. I was expecting the 13.6x28's but since the bigger donuts were already on and my dealer didn't charge me anything extra - I stayed with the fat tires. So far they seem to be a mixed blessing.

They are six ply - so they do have a considerably higher load rating over the 4-ply 13.6's.

They are fat. That means for any given tread setting - you've got less clearance between the tires (raised beds or windrows).

They are fat. That means it is a bit trickier to pick a plow size/bottom count to work well with the tire width and offsets.

They are fat. That means they hold a LOT of fluid (if you're filling). I've got 650 lbs of Rimguard in each.

They are heavy. Besides the Rimguard I think they're something like 100 lbs heavier (I forget if that was each or for both) over the 13.6's. As a result I'd guess I've got a something in the ballpark of a 5000 lb 4710 (without loader) with around 3500-3600 lbs on the ground at the rear.

As a result of that and soft ground - I leave a nice chevron or more everywhere I drive. Forget crossing the lawn very often.

Despite all the weight - I've still spun all four (in MFWD with the diff locked) before I've bogged the engine. She will dig, though with the toothbar on the bucket. Only sometimes the rear tires dig as much hole as the FEL! (I'm getting better at it.)

Attachments

• 605038-Fat Tires.jpg
    605038-Fat Tires.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 204
   / Wider tires for a 4720 #3  
<font color="green"> She will dig, though with the toothbar on the bucket. Only sometimes the rear tires dig as much hole as the FEL! (I'm getting better at it.) </font>

At what? Digging with the rears?!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wider tires for a 4720 #4  
Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif