JD 3720 VS 4320

/ JD 3720 VS 4320 #1  

tilemanct

Have been looking for over a year now for a CUT. I'm building a house and will have plenty of work for it. I have been through all the colors and I think Green is the winner. I used to have a 2355 JD. Bought it new. Best **** tractor I ever had. It was like loosing a member of the family the day I sold it. I like the new series of JD CUT. I'm now torn between the 3720 and the 4320. I'm also concerned about re-sale value. Landscaping and loader work will be the main duties. Which one would you suggest and why. Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD 3720 VS 4320 #2  
I would base the decision (if mine to make) primarily on the two different frame sizes. I like the medium frame of the 3720, for moving around the woods and property, including the area I have to park it in the shed. If I had room for the larger frame, I think I still would like the handiness of the medium size, and the horsepower it has for its size.

However, that said, the 4320 has the 4cyl Deere engine. That really looks like a winner.

Alas, if I move on trading, it will be for the 3520 (waiting for some quotes now).

/ JD 3720 VS 4320 #3  
Obviously the smaller frame will fit into places the bigger frame won't and you'll be surprised at how much you'll be able to do with it. But if you have fields that are somewhat rough and you want to keep them mowed, get the bigger tractor. It will have a better ride at mowing speeds across pastures and be able to more easily handle dirt work chores.

/ JD 3720 VS 4320 #4  
I don't know if it is ok to say this in this forum but if I was going with 3720 I would look at the Kubota 3830 or the 4330. They are smaller than the 4320 and have greater fel lift of the 4320. I am in this same boat.....decisions, decisions.

Good Luck

/ JD 3720 VS 4320 #5  
Tilemanct,

I obviously like the 3720 since I bought one, but each machine would have its pluses and minuses. My opinion is as follows: I think the 3720 is a great tractor. It, in essence, is a "hot rod" of a tractor. So far, I have found it very manuverable for its size, extremely comfortable and stable. It also does strong work with the loader. It easily outdoes the 4310 I traded, even in things where not expected, such as low speed loader work, etc. If you are working in tight quarters or on soft ground, it would be your better choice. Although not small, it is smaller than the 4320. With the high horsepower, you could, if you wanted, weight it down really well with fluid filled tires and wheel weights, and have a package that weighes as much as the 4320, but in a smaller package, if heavy work is your desire. The main advantage to the 4320 is that its larger physical size allows it to handle larger attachments, which is a plus if you have a lot of land to maintain. It may compress grass more when mowing, but would still cut well, and it should offer good loader performance (but there is not 400cx loader, yet). The biggest issue I hear from those using these machines is that they ride better than the mid frames. Now that the mid frames offer an air ride seat, this may be less an issue, but the wider stance and larger tires of the 4320 may give it an edge here. I also think the 4000 series would be more stable on hills or ridges because they are wider and seemingly more "low slung". With regard to engines, the PowerTech engines in the large frames have a good reputation, just not as good as the Yanmar diesels in the mid frames. Although they are excellent, the edge may go to the mid frames here. In short, my thinking was the advantage went to the mid frame 3720 in every category other than stability and the ability to use some larger attachments, which was a secondary issue to me. Unless you have specific desires to do so, I would suggest strongly considering the mid frame 3720. I am not so sure that it is not the best tractor on the market in its size (or maybe even not in its specific size). That's how good it is.

John M