Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor?

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #1  

jtfx6552

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
On May 2nd I ordered a 4120/X400 loader/LX6 mower.

it won't be in for a few weeks so I can probably change my order.

I used a friends 4310, which i understand is now discontinued, with a 300x loader,

It seemed like all the tractor I'd really need. I need to primarily mow about 7 acres (divided into 3 fields and a paddock), second clear snow from a 560 ft 15% grade driveway, maybe spread some manure, clear and maintain some trails through about 10 acres of woods..

As far as the driveway snow clearing, I'm in southeast PA so it doesn't really snow deep often.

Anyway, what is now the equivilent of what the 4310 was? Would it be the 3320?

The 4120 with R4 tires was written for 20,100, i wonder what the 3320 would be?

Any thoughts appreciated.

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #2  
I'd have those thoughts with my dealer/salesman. He will want you happy with what you have.
I personnaly like the frame size of the 4310, which is what the 3x20 series matches. I can't say you won't like the larger frame size of the 4x20 series, but sounds like your doubts are sneaking in so maybe time to check in with the dealer.
Depending on his 'deals' that he has going, it may work out good for both of you, and now is the time. No one knows better than the dealer, IMO.
Good luck.

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #3  
If you plan on cleaning your woods, I would definitely re-order a 3000 X 20 series.

I mow roughly 6 acres, and I also clean and rake my pride and joy, which is my groomed 2 acre wooded area. In order to go in and around trees, the smaller tractor is necessary. I currently own a 4300, and the tractor is the PERFECT size for these jobs.
Along with the loader, I carry a 6' rake. With this package, I can maneuver rather easily, rake and pile, and anything larger would make it impossible without hitting trees.

The 4300 has really been all the power I have needed, except for when mowing wet, thick grass.
I have to think the 3120 is plenty, and all the sizes above that just adds more smiles to the operators face.
I should be taking delivery of my new 3720 next week if the dealer delivery schedule holds true, and I just can't wait to see what she's got!

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #4  
On May 5th I ordered a 4120 with 12/12 Poer Reverser, 400X FEL, and cab. For an excellent summary of specs for the new 4000 series check out this link:

Stoneham's, Inc

I just recently registered for this site. You have a lot of good info here.

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #5  
jtfx552,

Quite listening to your wife and start counting the days till that sweet machine comes in.

You won't regret it for a minute. The smaller machine will only save about a thousand dollars. You will get more than that back in enjoyment when mowing at the higher speeds with the extra hp. As far as size, a six foot cutter will stick past the wheels on eather machine and be 6 foot you have to manuver on eather machines threw tree so it doesn't matter.

"you never can have too much horsepower and money" Unfortunately one always cuts into the other.

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #6  
I just got my 3520 and its Awesome /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I pull a 6 foot finish mower on it and cut my knee deep pasture for the first time 1 inch tall and let me lell you the turbo make all the power !!
You will love the smaller frame

Harl

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #7  
Funny I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 3520 and keep thinking the 4120 might be a better choice. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #8  
I would strongly consider doing the 3000 series. It is more manuverable and not quite as heavy, which in your case, may be an advantage. I like the 4000 series tractors, they are very nice. I do not see though that they offer an advantage over the new 3000 series except when dealing with large acreage and heavy implements. The difference in price may not be that much, but you could put the extra money toward an investment or nice extra attachment, but if you do this, I would look no lower in HP than a 3520. That is a really nice machine and would perform substantially better than a 4310 in the same sized package. To me, I would not change my order for a 3320. You should be able to deal on the 3520 for between 18K and 19K for the tractor, if not better.

John M

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #9  
Unless you think you will be on your lawn a lot - or you really think you'll stay within the five foot class of implements - I'd vote for leaving things alone and stay with the 4120. There's not much downside.

Pros-

Much heavier duty axles and diff. Dig deep into the specs and you'll find the differences. Chances are a mid-frame is plenty strong enough for you, but the large frame is only stronger. Cast iron instead of aluminum diff?

Stronger loader. The 300CX narrows the gap a little but the 400X is still a lot stronger. More oomph when you need it, more reserve beef for general conditions.

Wider front track. CUTs do not have much, if any, adjustment on the front axle tread setting. The large frame axle is considerably wider - therefore probably more stable on slopes.

Due to the longer wheelbase, heavier frame, and slightly higher ratings - the large frame has the abilty to handle heavier implements more easily.

Cons -

It is bigger, and it is heavier. However - there isn't that much difference in manuverability - you need to spend some time driving them back to back at your dealer. From what I've seen around our place, *most* of the time when our large frame is a bull in a china shop - chances are a medium frame would be as well. I'd have to have a sub-cut or at least a small frame to make a big difference (i.e. ruts in the lawn when the grounds wet and soft.)

/ Buyers remorse, did I buy too much tractor? #10  
What you say is indeed true, but his decision needs to be made by considering what he needs to do on his property.

There is no way that a 4000 X 20 series could compete with the 3000 X 20 series on my property or in my woods. The extra width would not allow the machine to do the type of cleaning "I" do in my woods. I can whip around with my 4300 and rake and clean fast and efficiently, all without finding myself in between a "tree and a hard place"...
While mowing, I would think the smaller chassis would cut circles around the larger chassis, especially when trimming around obsticles like trees and shrubs.
Power is a moot point because the 3000 series has that covered.

If his mowing is wide open, and his woods sparse, I would think the larger mower would be the way to go, but if his property is anything like mine, the larger tractor would be very frustrating.
JMHO.