Which LT?

/ Which LT? #1  

mrfritz44

Just bought my first real house with my first real yard and now I've got some real work to do. To cut my 1.5 acres of relatively flat and obstacle strewn grass, I've tentatively chosen an LT180.

However, I can't decide on my mower deck bagger configuration. The previous owner kept a beautiful lawn that I want to keep up too.

What should I get? My options, of course, are the mulching deck, the 42" with non-blown bagger, or the 48" with the option to get a blowing bagger that I can't afford right now. I'm leaning towards the mulcher, but I'm hesitant not having ever used one. I hear they can be troublesome. The 42" with bag seems nice, but how often am I going to have to unload over 1.5 acres and a typical eastern PA weeks worth of growth? I'd hate to spend the $450 only to find the interruptions too troublesome.

Any advice from you veteran mowers?

Thanks,

Fritz

/ Which LT? #2  
I currently own a LT160 and love it. Great little tractor that can take a beating. If the primary function is going to be mowing grass and maybe pulling a cart for brush, etc. on flat ground, I don't think you will need much more than the LT180, and would even suggest the relatively new 100 series that they have at THD or the dealer, although they will be redesigned next year. Either the L120 or L130. They are a fine tractor, and if you take care of it, it should last you just as long. And it will save you some money. Some say that the L100s are a Scott's lawn tractor painted green, but this is not true. It is a more robust lawn tractor.

I would go with the the mulching deck, and maybe the 48", depending on how quickly you wish to mow. If you enjoy mowing your lawn, then there is no need to get the 48". The 42" on a 1.5 acre lot saves you at most 15 minutes [again, at most, as I'm assuming the 1.5 acres doesn't factor in the space on your lot taken up by the house]. Also, I think bagging is overrated, and with today's cutter's, is hardly necessary, plus a big pain in the butt to empty, like you say.

If you are brand loyal and set on a Deere, great, welcome to the team, but Cub Cadet also makes a very nice product, in their 1000 series and also the 2180, I believe, is a very nice little tractor for the money. Generally, Cub Cadet [MTD] and the Sears Craftsman have tried to out-do the Deere L100 series by offering superior specs [namely, hp, deck size, and engine brand] for about $200 to $300 less.

/ Which LT?
If I'm leaning towards a mulching mower, can I get a list of pros and cons regarding the mulcher that woul dbe on the LT180?

I like the idea of grinding everything to a pulp, but I hear the mulchers may pose more problems than they're worth.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Fritz

/ Which LT?
Also.........forgot to ask. When they say 48" convertable mower deck......what do they mean? Convertable to what?

/ Which LT? #5  
means-converts to mulching with an expensive plastic attachment. It cost $110 from JD. It is a s shaped peice of plastic that bolts up under the deck and comes with high lift blades. I bought a set for my 48C deck and only used them acouple of times before I traded the tractor in. I still have it collecting dust in my garage as it won't fit my 54C.

/ Which LT?
Ok, so which deck would be better suited to mulching and not leave clumps, the 42" Freedom or the 48C converted to do mulching?

I'm leaning towards the 48C, but I don't want to have to run around raking up grass balls or have to wait until the grass is bone dry to cut. I live in a valley and the morning dew can get pretty thick.

Thanks,

Fritz

/ Which LT? #7  
Hi,

I don't have any Deere products just some thoughts in general. At a previous house I used a bagger. I personnally don't want to do that again because of the constant emptying of the bagger. Also you'll need to plan on how to dispose of the clippings. No big deal just some extra steps.

I currently mow just about an acre. I have a Craftsman with the 42" mulching deck. My next mower will be at least a 48" deck. Not so much to save time but to allow me to get closer to trees and landscaping. The deck on mine is only maybe an inch or so past the tires. To get the deck close to something means you almost have to tun over it. A bigger deck means you face is farther away from the tree branch. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as mulching, if you mow once a week, you shouldn't have any problems. You may want to wait until the real heavy dew burns off a little but I don't have any problems with it. If I do get any clumping, after I'm done I just run over the thick stuff again.

Good luck with the new house.

Rodger

/ Which LT? #8  
The 48C with the Tri-cycler kit will provide you with the best options. As previously mentioned, you will need to cut on a consistent and more frequent schedule. I have been mulching with the larger JD decks for over 5 years now--same principles, though. You will need to commit to cleaning the deck of the big chunks more often along with the commitment to more frequent mowing. It is definately worth it. My lawn needs less fertilizer and stays greener and healthier than my neighbors' lawns during tough weather patterns. See attachements:

vantagepoint05.jpg

vantagepoint06.jpg

/ Which LT? #10  
I routinely mow 3/4 of an acre, some of which is flat, some hilly with obstacles. I live here in the northwest which, contrary to what some believe, requires me to mow under wetter than ideal conditions. I have a JD LT160 with 42" freedom deck. I am completely satisfied with my JD and glad I didn't spend more money for the LT180. The extra hp is only necessary if you want to pull ground-engaging implements (like an aerator). My LT pulls a cart filled with firewood, boulders, kids, etc effortlessly.

I am not sure what problems you have been talking about with regard to the freedom deck. If the deck is clean and conditions are right (grass not excessively long and wet) than you will not see the clippings. If it has rained several inches over the past few days and the lawn has not been mowed in 11 days, than you will get some clumps, which can be removed by mowing over them. Note that the clippings are good for the lawn and bad for other parts of your garden if you discard them in piles. Why would you want to exert effort to do that?

Just my $0.02. See attached photo of the corner of my yard. More rain due in tonight!

Bonehead

Attachments

• 657209-DSCN7169v2.jpg
    657209-DSCN7169v2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 184