3320 or 4115?

/ 3320 or 4115? #1  

ted5487

Tractor
I am trying to decide between the 4115 and 3320. I realize that they are different frame sizes. I need a FEL, MMM, and post hole digger. I am currently building a barn on the two acres that I own, and would use the tractor to spread material, mow the 1.5 acres of lawn, and construct a fence. I recently sold my x485 because I wanted something with more capability and options. I realize that both of these machines are above and beyond what I require, but I really enjoy doing projects with nice equipment and my father, who is in his seventies, was always looking for something to do with the x485, and now he is really looking forward to the new purchase. I looked at the 4110 but really liked the looks of the 4115 more. I wish there was a tractor sized between the 4115 and 3320. I also looked at the 790 but really want the hydrostatic. I also do not want to buy anything other than John Deere. I am the type of person who frequently trades up within 2-3 years as I have done with the x485. Price for the 4115, 410FEL, 60MMM is $18,600. Price for the 3320, 300CX, 60MMM is $22,200. Am I foolish not to spend the extra $3600 for the 3320? Would the 3320 retain a greater percentage of it's value in 3 years since it appears the 4115 is nearing the end? I have read on this site where many 4115 owners are very happy with their tractors, and since the 3320 is relatively new I have not read as much. Does it appear to owners of the 3000 twenty's that Deere has gotten it right with the new design? Do the engines in the 3000 twenty's emit less, I remember reading somewhere that the engines meet a more stringent regulation. Any help woud be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

/ 3320 or 4115? #2  
Here's my take. The difference is weight is like 1200 lbs, which is considerable. Can your lawn handle a tractor that weighs almost 3000 lbs ? Considering the terrain of your property, can you effectively mow with the 3320 ? If you can, I would spend the extra money and get the bigger machine. You might spend 20% more money, but you are getting more than 20% more tractor.

Seeing as how you like to trade equipment often, if the tractor is just too big, then you go down to something that will be replacing the 4115. You should get better resale on a 3320 which is at the beginning of it's product cycle, versus the 4115 which seems to be near the end.

Good luck and let us know when you decide.

/ 3320 or 4115? #3  
Ted,

I would not consider the 4115. It is a nice machine, but as I have said in some earlier posts to others, go sit on both, drive both and look at both with the numbers you mention. If you buy the 4115 after that, we need to talk. You get twice as much machine with the 3000 series for really a pittance extra. Of course, money is money, but this is an investment in yourself and your property, and if you can swing it, do so. I was in the same boat and am glad I looked larger than I thought I needed. There are so many projects I now tackle for myself and others that I did not realize I would. You will "grow into" a larger machine---to a point. Also, when you look at the two side by side, the 4115 is almost as long and wide as is the 3000 series. The 3000's appear larger mainly due to their height. Also, they are heavier, but not so much so that they are TOO weighty to tread lightly. I have not divoted any grass yet with my mid frame. They are excellent machines and their resale value will likely reflect this. Our local dealers have a hard time moving NEW 4115's, here, moving a used one would be most difficult. This may not hold true for all locales.

John M

/ 3320 or 4115? #4  
<font color="blue"> I looked at the 4110 but really liked the looks of the 4115 more. </font>

I think if you can get past that thought (which I had, too) you will find the 4110 is the sweet spot for the uses you describe.

You might ask yourself a few question: Will I be putting up a fence once or twice in the life of the tractor, or maintaining a few miles of fence on a larger property on a regular basis? Will I be shuffling construction materials continuously, or completing a couple of major projects in the life of the tractor? When I am not doing those things, how much time will I spend mowing? ...spreading fertilizer? ... spraying? If you are like me, those big things happen a couple of times a year and I end up in a materials handling situation for one or two projects each year. Based on the limited info I have, I think you would be happy saving $2,500 and buying the 4110. I loved the 4115 and the fact that it had a nice HP-to-weight ratio, but the price and the longer turning radius didn't make sense to me.

If you REALLY need something bigger, go all the way. If not, spend that extra $2,500+ on attachments and get the 4110. I love mine. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ 3320 or 4115? #5  
I just spoke to my dealer yesterday as I was checking on the delivery of my new 4110 w/fel. I told him I was considering upgrading to a 4115. He said that with not much price differance the 3000 series was a much smarter way to go over the 4115. Maybe that's why my tractor is taking so long, I keep upgrading ! Anyway, he said the 4110 will be more than enough for my current needs, and might even be delivered today. Fingers crossed!