5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #1  

LittleBear

Bronze Member
I am considering the purchase of a John Deere 5205 (or 5325) with 4WD. I have read many comments that this is an economical tractor. However, my primary concern is “quality.” Is the 5205 a well-built tractor? If I step up to the 5025 series, is the build quality higher, or am I just paying for extra bells and whistles that I don’t really want or need.

My neighbor has a John Deere 6400 and a 1070. Both of these tractors are Cadillacs! My general impression is that John Deere has increased their market share in recent years by moving from well-built tractors to marginally built tractors which can be sold at lower prices. I hope I am wrong about this, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise. I’m looking for a new, high quality, 50-65 pto hp tractor that I can take care of and keep for many years (a Cadillac). Price is not a consideration. Please give me your thoughts on these matters.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #2  
I really don't think Deere could afford to build low quality machines or they wouldn't be in business long.

The 990 in the "economy" line is the 1070 in new clothes. Either the 05 or the 25 series would serve the purpose well. The main difference besides wheelbase, is the bells and doodads included. The 25s have a power shuttle option as the 05 is only sync shift.
The loader mounted on the 25s will pick up more by the specs, likely due to the wheelbase.

On the other hand, the 05s have almost a foot shorter wheelbase so it's likely be more nimble in tight spaces. The visiblity is very good compared to the 25s IMO, nothing to get in the way. The fuel tank is a nice feature as it can be easily filled on either side.

I'd have a hard time choosing between an 05 vs a small 25 if I had money for either.
I suggest kickin the tires and testing them out.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #3  
I don't know that anyone around here has had enough time on the 2 different machines to give you a good evaluation. We have a 5420 with all the bells and whistles but no cab. I also have a hydrostatic 4310. When I get on the 4310 after driving the bigger 5420, I find myself reaching for the power reverser lever to back up. We have the isolated platform which is really nice (cadillac) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I think the loader is supposed to be more easily removed on the 5425 than the 5205. I also think John Deere came out with a cost comparable machine to attract buyers that are looking at foreign tractors (yes I know the 5205 is foreign too). Go test drive both for as long as you can and report back. Personally, I like it when people buy American made products as much as possible.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #4  
I'll chime in since it seems no one else is. I just came back from Case training yesterday and spent probably about 45 minutes talking with a guy who is an engineer. Some of the new 5000 series is an indian designed and built tractors thats been painted green. Its not a Deere spec tractor being built by someone else. If you look closely you will see thats its not up to par with Deere's previous products. This is 2nd hand information and a class of tractor that I am no expert on... but thats the word on the steet. It probably warrents further investigation.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality
Which tractor (5005 or 5025) is not built in the USA? If they are assembled in the USA, what country were the parts manufactured in?

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #6  
The 5100 series is built by Deere in India. Deere uis a global company, but genearrly owns their own plants and does their own engineering.

Messick is - um - well - not an authority on Deere. A Kubota Dealer getting info on them at a Fiat meeting, an expert doesn't make. But he's trying.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #7  
The 5000-Three series are the Indian-built value units. I had heard that they were a Deere design and used Deere tooling - albeit an older design. Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere, nor can I speak to fit and finish. Perhaps Cowboydoc can chime in - I believe he looked them over.

The 5000-Fives are built in North America - with at least some Mexican sub-assembly happening, perhaps also the final assembly. The 5000-Fives I've looked at seemed to be built to the same fit and finish level as all 'normal' series Deeres.

The 5000-Twenty-Fives are also North American, 'assembled' in Georgia, haven't seen any solid info on the source of the actual parts/sub-assemblies.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Messick is - um - well - not an authority on Deere. A Kubota Dealer getting info on them at a Fiat meeting, an expert doesn't make. But he's trying. )</font>

I'm trying /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You guys are often my best source of information.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality
Thanks for your input guys. I'll test drive each unit and report my observations back to you.

/ 5005 vs 5025 Series Build Quality #10  
All of Deere's tractors are top of the line in regards to quality and the materials used. The difference comes in the options available and the ablities of each tractor and creature comforts. It's like comparing a car or pickup. The base pickup is the same but then you have the middle line based on the base pickup and the luxury. With Ford you have XL, XLT, Lariat, and King Ranch. They are all the same base truck but you can get more options the higher up the model you go. Same with Deere.

Contrary to some opinion the 500x value series from Deere, 5103, 5203, and 5303, is not a "cheap" low value materials tractor. The drive train is the same one that is used on the top of the line 25 series. The difference is in the options, VERY FEW. It is only available in a non-synchro tranny, it does not have quick attach loader, no mfwd option, no platform, etc. What this does is let Deere build tractors quicker because they are all the same. The options are put on at the dealer. With the 25 series most of the options are built in at the factory and you have 10 pages of options. Slower production time. But rest assured that even though these tractors are built in India they are held to the strictest Deere standards. They are built to Deere specs and inspected by Deere.

The reason this tractor is built in India is because they sell 15 to every 1 sold here there. The fenders are metal and very heavy beacuse in India they also use their tractors as cars and have MANY people that ride on the fenders. If you can live with simple features it's an excellent tractor.