john deere 770

/ john deere 770 #1  

jerry45

I am looking at making a bid on a JD 770 (1989) . It has 1022 hrs. on it and all it has ever done is cut grass with a 5 ft. finishing mower. However , it has been setting up for 2 / 3 years but it is being cranked every few months. I need advice on how much it may be worth and if it could be hurt from sitting up so long. The outside is in great shape but needs a new seat. It has been kept in a shed. It has turf tires and weights on the front, no equipment. Any additional advice on this tractor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Mississippi

/ john deere 770 #2  
The 770 has 24 engine HP (Gross) and 20 HP at the PTO.

The 770 is the predecessor to the current 790. It shares many...almost all components except for the engine, wheels and tires. Parts shouldn't be a problem. I doubt if you'll need many though.

If it's been setting that long, I'd suggest an immediate change of all fluids (oil, hydraulic fluid, and coolant).

These are tough and robust little tractors. The hours aren't excessive, considering the age of the machine.

If the machine is 4WD, I'd offer $8000. If it's 2WD, probably $6K maximum.

What are your intended uses? If just mowing, it'll be a great machine.

Work other then mowing, I'd look elsewhere if this machine is 2WD.

If you intend to add a loader, I suggest you buy a 4WD machine with a loader, rather then this one.

/ john deere 770 #3  
Last winter I was quoted $7,000 with 4wd and 700 hours. The 870 was only $1,000 more and a substantially better machine. Both machines were used exclusively for towing vegetable wagons. JD customer service can provide the specs for their used machines.

/ john deere 770 #4  
I picked up my 1989 (830 hrs) 770 with FEL, 4wd, 5 ft Bush Hog, 5 ft JD mower, 3ph scraper blade, carry all, and snow plow for a little under $7000. But maintenance was questionable, loader has a lot of slop in it, had to rebuild the bucket, needs to be re-wired, and the home-made cab had to be removed due to rot.

This was not a dealer sale, but rather an old friend of the family. If you get dealer support, maintained and checked by them, you would be paying more.

/ john deere 770 #5  
I agree completely with Roy Jackson, except for the price he is suggesting. I bought a 4 wheel drive 1998 770 with 223 hrs two years ago and it had an FEL, Box Blade and several old but servicable other implements from a private party for $11,250. This was also garage kept. Keeping in mind that everything here in California tends to be pricey. Mine was a good deal at the time. $8,000.00 sound high to me, especially since it hasn't been used for a couple of years and may have some issues.

They are indeed capable, tought, economical to operate tractors.

Good Luck