5103 or is there a better option?

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #1  

unreconstructed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325 JD 5203 JD 2320 LT 133
I have 100 acres in the Texas hill country and another 20 on the Texas caprock. I will mow the 20 acres but only parts of the 100 in any single year (its mostly oak/mesquite and as of now prickly pears). On the 100 I will be doing a lot of loader work loading the pears on a pickup dump and also moving rocks to be stacked. The loading will not be continuous but will involve getting off the tractor to load the bucket in both cases. I will be doing some road work on both places. I might do some commercial work when I retire, but I do not think it will be significant.

I want a tractor that will have the least maintenance as I get older and poorer--I am 55 now. My idea is to get the 50 horse
4700 lb 5103 since it has no 4 wheel drive and does not have a hydrostat both of which I consider to be recipes for more expense down the road.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you all.

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #2  
Why did you choose the 03 rather than the 05? Do you think the 03 is better build or will have lower maintenance?

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #3  
The 5103 is a really nice basic tractor. My brother bought one last year and is really pleased with it. He does not have a loader though. The loader Deere makes for it is non-detachable. My brother said he is just waiting for Woods to make one to fit.

/ 5103 or is there a better option?
I did not realize the loader was nondetachable. Thanks for that insight. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #5  
As far as maintenance and reliability goes you probably won't find any better. These tractors have none of the electronic frills, bulletproof non-synchro trannies, wet disc brakes and clutch for long life, and a true JD motor that should go thousands of hours with no major repairs at all. The fenders are very strong metal, the front end is stout and very thick, it's basically a throw back to the tractors of yesterday. Not much frills but a very solid basic tractor that if you had to isn't going to require a phd in engineering and mechanics to work on. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

on edit- the loader is detachable it's just not quick attach. You have to undo four bolts on each side.

The JD salesman here recommended the 03 for one thing. I notice on the specs that the 03 is heavier than the 05 and about 3k cheaper. The JD site shows the 03 made in India and the 05 made in USA. I gave him 15K my price range and I guess that and I perceived the weight a plus.

Thanks for the info. Looks like what I am looking for. Also, the 4 bolts on the loader I can handle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #8  
Cowboydoc:

How would you compare the 03 versus 05 series in term of long term reliability?

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #9  
Just received my 5103 last Saturday w/fel. Easy to use and plenty of power. 0% financing for 60 months was a nice enough incentive. Bucket comes off and on easily with just 2 pins.

/ 5103 or is there a better option? #10  
I would compare the 03 and 05 the same. They are both basic tractors without alot of frills. Depending on the configuration you can get more bells and whistles with the 05 but the drivetrain is going to be same with the exception of a synchro and possibly power reverser.