John Deere H Question

/ John Deere H Question #1  

telephoneman

Tractor
John Deere H,John Deere 650,John Deere x540,International 240 Utility
Are these tractors hard to work on and are they expensive to restore? This would be my first retoration, I picked it because of it's size.

/ John Deere H Question #2  
I'd say you chose wisely.

Even on that size of tractor there are a couple parts that are akward to handle, but really they are the essence of simplicity.

Even at that, I'd say buy a manual [I have mixed opinions of them, but this being your first one, seeing some things apart before you do it could help] and/or make generous use of a video camera or I like a digital still camera [don't have a digital video, but that would really be a good answer too]. These were farm machines, so you'll likely run into fixes or mods that you're not sure whether factory or farmer. Might take some research there.

Also, may want to read a restoration book or two, or browse some old iron magazines or web-sites. I always thought that was the "pansy" way to do things, but I can see lack of thought in so many places on a couple of the first ones I did.

You ask about costs.....well depends whether you just want a "20 foot job" [looks great from 20 feet], show-room, or [most likely] something in-between. The former might cost nothing more than a couple gallons of fresh gas, a $20 gallon of tractor enamal and maybe a set of stencils. The latter can get excrutiating both in time and money.

I'd say you don't have to tear out every gear in the tranny etc., but I would rebuild [new/or oversize rings may be good enough depending on the condition of the pistons and walls] the engine and any other parts that seem worn or too loose. Not always cheap, but you should be able to find a good mix of original and aftermarket parts for that.

I've seen good results using just a pressure washer and wire brush then a coat of enamal [I've been burned by cheap tractor enamle, but actually was satisified once with Rust-Oleum and it's "rust adhering" primer]. On the other end you can bring everything to bare steel [if you have humidity, there's a real narrow window before you need to prime] and go with something recommended for construction equipment [like a tough 2 or 3 part urethane or add hardner to a good quality enamal].

Anyway, it's impossible to give you a dollar figure, but even if you spend more than you intended....standing back while it's idling like music as the sun glistens off your shiney paint job....the $$$ are forgotten fast! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ John Deere H Question #3  
Oh, at the risk of sounding like a thread obsesive-compulsive [a day or two ago, I made a similar recommendation in a cub cadet thread under modifications], you may get better results asking a moderator to move this to vintage (but maybe it does belong here, don't know, just suggesting options). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh.....most important....HAVE FUN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere H Question #4  
My brother used to have one. You can fix just about anything on it with a Crescent wrench and a flat-tip screwdriver. You will be surprised at how many new parts John Deere still carries for it.

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere H Question #5  
You have a classic, and it should be fun to restore.

Only advice I would offer, is to use real John Deere paint. It is quality paint that will hold up better than some 'wanna-be's that are maybe a bit cheaper.

There is a two-cylinder club that you might be interested in looking into, that will provide lots of information to you along the way. http://www.two-cylinder.com/

I saw one two days ago (restored H) and told my dear wife, it is a good thing I don't have more storage room, or there would be a few of the old two-cylinders in there (like an H, LA, G, R, and my old 420U).