Buying Advice Need advice on model selection

/ Need advice on model selection #1  

JohnP_MI

Tractor
John Deere X595
We currently own a JD LX266 used to mow 1.5 acres in the summer and remove snow in the winter. Our house sits at the top of a hill (>25deg grade in places) and we live on a private dirt road about a quarter mile long.

In the summer, mowing down the hill I point and go on the steepest part. With my foot off the forward pedal, the tractor will continue to roll/slide to the bottom. The tractor is not uncontrollable, but it does tear-up the grass slightly.

In the winter, the tractor is almost useless with the snow thrower. I mount chains and 45# weights on the rear wheels and bolt a 100# weight to the rear hitch. At the bottom of our driveway (~10deg grade) its a crap shoot whether or not it will make it back up. Also I would like to be able to remove snow from the dirt road as our neighbor with the big tractor just moved. The snow thrower does not remove enough in the raised position - lowered it picks up rocks. We get multiple 12" deep snowfalls in Michigan during the winter, but rarely any back to back where we live. Most of the time the accumulated snow will melt down before the next snowfall.

We've owned the LX266 for 3 seasons. I am very pleased with the tractor otherwise, however, I need something that can handle the above situations.

So far I've considered the x595 w/ HDAP tires, 2210, Kubota 2230, and the equivalent NH (forgot the model) outfitted with a 60/62" MMM and a front blade. I'm leaning towards the x595 as I can get the best discount. I do realize these tractors are all overkill for the size of my property, but the hill thing is a big problem.

What does everyone recommend? And in your experiences will any of the tractors I've listed not be able to easily handle what I need?

Thanks for your help.

/ Need advice on model selection #2  
Sounds like you need more traction which is a function of weight and number of driveshafts (ie. 4X4). See if your dealer will let you try various models on your property. Start with the X series in 4X4. That will be a big improvement but may still not be heavy enough. From there the 2210 and others you mentioned. Of course, the bigger you go, the higher the center of gravity and the more prone to tipping on those hills of yours. By the way, where in Michigan?

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Need advice on model selection
The 3 features of the x595 that interest me are the locking diff, 4wd and HDAP tires. I guess the 2210 weighs approx. 400# more than the x595, but I could always hang weight off the back. I'll ask the local dealers if I can try one at the house.

We're located in SE Michigan, about 50 miles NW of Detroit. I don't think we get nearly as much snow as western MI.

/ Need advice on model selection #4  
I'd be willing to bet the X400 will be adequate. But like mentioned earlier, try them if they will let you. I know it will handle the snow if the LX is handling it, although poorly now. I'd also be willing to bet the larger tires, extra weight and size of the X400 would also handle mowing the hill. What I usually do on a steep downhill grade, is mash the pedal all the way down, and that stopped the skidding of the rear tires, and I felt more in control, although moving rather quickly. This you could try with a demo, and not have to even mow with a deck.
With the diff lock and proper weights, I'm confident the tractor will handle the snow with only 2wd. I've been on very steep places with the 47" 2 stage snowblower, and it amazes how well they perform. (actually putting downpressure on the snowblower transfers more weight to the rear tires for even more traction, especially on a hard packed base or blacktop)
If you had time , and the dealer was willing, have him bring a GX with the diff lock also.. although that limits you to a single stage thrower like you have now. (it should fit with the correct attaching parts if you went that way)The new GX's have 24" rear tires now, larger than ever before, but still not quite the 26's that the X series gets.

Good luck!
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Need advice on model selection #5  
John
For the type of money you are looking to spend, you might want to consider a 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer, slope capable mower. I was in a situation similar to yours. I pretty much tried all sorts of stuff. Some things worked well enough to "get by" but really were not ideal.

Of your choices, I would think any of the smaller 4wd JD tractors would "get by" but I also think that a Ventrac 3000 or Steiner 415 would run circles around what you are considering. In fact, my Ventrac 3000 will do circles, figure 8's and U-Turns on slopes that would flip a garden tractor over. I "got by" for about 10 years, then I got the right tool for the job. From personal experience, I can tell you that a Ventrac 3000 will easily handle your 1.5 acres (and several more acres if you buy more land), will push your snow if you want to push it (and will push it uphill if you want to build a snow wall around your house), but will do a mighty job of blowing snow too. And the quality of cut is amazing (which probably explains why Ventracs are used at national monuments and golf courses).

Ventrac tractor website

Steiner tractor website

Photo of my Ventrac 3000 with the mower deck installed

/ Need advice on model selection #6  
John,

The X series tractors are awesome machines. I had an X485 and an X595, both of which would do the job you need. The 485 or any 400 series would handle the winter chores without much effort. You would likely need chains and maybe either wheel weights or fluid in the rear tires for ballast. The 500 series would not struggle with any task, and would climb hills and do things you would not feel comfortable doing. Bob is correct, the Ventrac and Steiner are good machines, but I personally have not been much on the articulated concept. They do a great job (our hospital here has one), but I do not see that they offer any benefits over a four wheel drive compact or GT for your needs. They are quite stable on hills though. My feeling would be as follows: price an X585 (gas) V. a 485 and a 2210. I would not price a 595. The reason: the 595 is overkill for you, and if looking diesel I think a 2210 could be had more reasonably. The diesel would not offer that many benefits over a gas engined model and I think the four wheel drive would be more important than the diesel. I think a 400 would do the job for you, but for some extra money you could have a hill eating, snow moving machine that would last many years. The only diesel I would consider in your case would be the 2210, because as good as the 595 is, its price likely would be prohibitive v. the 2210. On the other hand, the 585 or even 575 would offer excellent performance and 4wd for less money. They also have engines that will run 1000-2000 hours easily if well-maintained. The weight difference between the 2210 and an X series 4wd is not a major issue. The X will do every bit of what a 2210 would, except it would lack some of the hydraulic functions and potential for multiple attachment use simultaneously, which seems like a secondary issue in your case. I prefer JD products, but the other brands you mention would likely also do well, I just do not know as much about them, and the JD models in question are really good.

John M

/ Need advice on model selection #7  
Deere seems to have some very significant (and unadvertised?) discounts on the X series right now. My dealer has an X495 sitting in his showroom and I think he wants in the low 9's with a 54" deck and mid 9's with the 60". (This is a guy who normally sells the L&G stuff at full MSRP). That's about $2500 off MSRP. He made the statement that "they" have "some great deals on the X's right now". So there may be similar deals happening with the 500's - with that much discount they may offer a little better dollar comparison than typical to the pricing of the 2210.

/ Need advice on model selection #8  
Also there may be some demo or slightly used X500 sitting at the dealers. When I first started looking at the X series the dealer had a X595 with 3pt/PTO for $10000.00 At the time I didn't want the diesel so priced out the 585 instead. When I figured out the diesel was a good buy I went back to put a deposit, it was already sold. I kicked myself for that and ended up spending alot more money on the 585.

/ Need advice on model selection
So my wife and I decided on the x595. We test drove both the 2210 and x595 at the dealer. The 2210 seemed to operate the smoothest compared with the NH Boomer and Kubota BX. However, its ride was considerably "bouncy" when driving around the field behind the dealership. The x595 rode very smooth and quiet.

From everyone's input, it sounds like the x595 will not have any problems pushing a 10" snowfall to clear our driveway and road in the winter. We own the cul-de-sac so we have plenty of area to push the snow. This was the most important reason for considering a 4WD tractor. If I'm out of town on business, I need my wife to have something she can count on.

I decided on the diesel mainly for fuel economy and reduced maintenance. Our LX266 burns 5gal/4hrs. Besides, off-road diesel fuel is less $/gal than gasoline.

So, if anyone knows of someone who is in the market for a good reliable lawn tractor, I have an JD LX266 for sale in the classifieds.

Note: If you're thinking about purchasing a x Series (or LT, LX, SST for that matter) and you're interested in experimental aircraft, John Deere is a sponsor of the Experimental Aircraft Association (www.eaa.org). They routinely offer discounts on different models, 2210 excluded. The cost of membership to the EAA might make sense for somebody considering a JD.