2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #1  

Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
If you've been following my "saga" recently, you know that I have now narrowed down my choices of tractors to the Kubota B2910 & the JD 4200. Well, today I went & rode them both again & climbed in & out of the seat a bunch of times. I am clearly zeroing in on a decision. Here's how I see the 2 competitors stacking up for me ... you might be surprised as you read ...

PRICE

The quoted prices I received from the dealers have the Kubota costing $800 less (with the same implements). In addition, the Kubota dealer has made it clear that he can drop the price a little more. The JD dealer told me today that he had already given me their rock-bottom price.

So I'm assuming that I can squeeze another $500 out of the Kubota dealer, making the JD $1,300 more than the Kubota. Now, I'm all for saving $13,00 whenever I can, but given the size of this purchase, this is not enough money to make the difference. Nonetheless, the Kubota gets the win in this category.

Winner: Kubota B2910

POWER

The Kubota has more gross horsepower than the JD (30 vs 26.3), but the PTO horsepower is virtually identical (22 vs. 21.5). On the other hand, the JD has more hydraulic power. But, since much of my work will be mowing & moving snow, I give the nod to the Kubota B2910.

DEALERS

Both of the dealers are very nice & the people there were very helpful. The Kubota dealer is about 7 miles from where we'll be living & the JD dealer is about 27 miles away. The Kubota dealer has an enormous, professional-looking service department. The JD dealer has an average-looking service department. Furthermore, the Kubota dealer said that they like to do repeairs at the customer's location whenever possible. The JD dealer likes to bring the tractor to the shop whenever possible.

Winner: JD 4200

[Now things get interesting ...]

ERGONOMICS

The primary reason I wanted to drive both tractors was to double check the ergonomics & the ride. After today it is cloear to me that the JD is much better fit for my body type. I felt as if I had lots more room, especially for my feet (due to the platform design). While I don't care for the placement of the JD gear range selector, the pedals are in a much better place, as far as I'm concerned. The Kubota felt cramped after I had driven the JD.

Winner: JD 4200

RIDE

I really felt that there was no contest here. The ride of the JD was FAR superior to the Kubota. It just felt much smoother & soild & was much less noisy. This may seem like a minor issue, but I actually climbed off of the Kubota thinking that it felt kind of tinny & unsubstantial.

BOTTOM LINE

Right now I have to admit that I'm leaning strongly to the JD 4200, despite the price, power & dealer differences. I feel like I would have a hard time ignoring he better ergnonomics (for me) & the superior ride & substantial feel of the JD.

Comments?

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #2  
Unless you are planning to change your body type/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif the ergonomics have to be pretty important. I would suggest that comfort, usability and satisfaction with the construction will be remembered long after the price difference is forgotten.

As you said, the HP difference isn't significant. The hydraulic power advantage, assuming it _is_ significant, would make the JD more flexible should you decide that you have to do some serious FEL, backhoe or other hydraulic intensive work.

The dealer situation sounds equal in terms of the human relations, but the service provided isn't. Having warranty work done at your location will be more convenient for you and perhaps less expensive. I have an eight year old JD 870 and a tractor service station less than a mile from my house. I can walk there for minor parts, if I need to.

I suspect that my comments won't help you out very much, but there they are.

Matthew

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200
Poster: mlmartin
Subject: Re: 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

> Unless you are planning to change your body type

Well, I am trying to lose weight :)

> the ergonomics have to be pretty important. I would
> suggest that comfort, usability and satisfaction with the
> construction will be remembered long after the price
> difference is forgotten.

Agreed.

> As you said, the HP difference isn't significant. The
> hydraulic power advantage, assuming it _is_ significant,

The difference IS significant (12 vs 9, approximately).

> would make the JD more flexible should you decide that
> you have to do some serious FEL, backhoe or other
> hydraulic intensive work.

> The dealer situation sounds equal in terms of the human
> relations, but the service provided isn't. Having warranty
> work done at your location will be more convenient for you
> and perhaps less expensive. I have an eight year old JD
. 870 and a tractor service station less than a mile from my
> house. I can walk there for minor parts, if I need to.

Yes, this is the one issue that is holding me back from committing to the JD right now. I just don't know how much weight to give this issue.

> I suspect that my comments won't help you out very
> much, but there they are.

They were helpful, as they made me realize that the dealer service issue is the one item I have to resolve to make my choice.

> Matthew

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #4  
Doing warranty work in the field sounds great but is, exept in rare occations, impractical. Unless you break an obvious part, how is the serviceperson going to know what parts to bring without looking at it? I'd ask the dealers about their loaner policy. I've done field work and it's a PITA. There has been a time or two that I spent more time fixing my screwups once I hauled it back to the shop than the original repair required due to adverse working conditions.

Poster: bgott

> Doing warranty work in the field sounds great but is,
> except in rare occations, impractical. Unless you break an
> obvious part, how is the serviceperson going to know
> what parts to bring without looking at it? I'd ask the
> dealers about their loaner policy. I've done field work
> and it's a PITA. There has been a time or two that I
> spent more time fixing my screwups once I hauled it back
> to the shop than the original repair required due to adverse
> working conditions.

Interesting. So I'm curious ... does anyone have any other negative (or positive) first-hand experiende with on-site service work?

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #6  
Hook, on site service is quite common around here on the larger farm equipment; sometimes successful; sometimes not. A lot depends on what service is needed, what kind of service truck the mechanic has; some carry a lot more equipment than others, but obviously cannot carry everything. Flat repair, oil & filter changes, etc. are pretty easy. A lot of other things get repaired on site, too, but a second trip is sometimes necessary to get the right tools and parts. With a compact tractor, I would expect them to be able to do the simple things, adjustments and such, on site, but to take the tractor to the shop for other things. After all, it doesn't take an 18-wheeler to haul one like some of these big tractors require.

Bird

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #7  
In your power comparison, you say you are going to mostly mow and remove snow. If that is really the use for your tractor then the Kubota 2910 will probably outmow the Deere 4200, but the Deere will do much better in the snow because it is heavier. I have plowed through 12-16 inches of snow with my 4200 w/o chains and had no trouble at all pushing it around. Also when you decide to expand your uses as every tractor enthusiast eventually does then the heavier Deere will provide better traction for ground engaging implements. The tractor types you are looking will do an amazing amount of work beside grass and snow. I personally would never buy anything except a Deere, but, I recommend to anyone else to buy the color you like because they are all great machines each with their respective advantages. The green, orange, or blue ones anyway. imho, traction is almost always more important than power.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #8  
I went throught the same exercise a few months ago and decided on the B2910. I am a city boy married to a farmer's daughter and she checked out the B2910 and the 4200 on decision day and we bought a 4300. She has had problems with her right ankle and the B2910 was very difficult for her to run. They are both good machines but go with the one that is the most comfortable. We both are very happy with the 4300 and it is easy to run for both of us.

Poster: TimSullivan

> I went throught the same exercise a few months ago
> and decided on the B2910. I am a city boy married to a
> farmer's daughter

Are you a travelling salesman :)?

> and she checked out the B2910 and the 4200 on decision
> day and we bought a 4300.

What made you take the step up to the 4300?

> She has had problems with her right ankle and the B2910
> was very difficult for her to run. They are both good
> machines but go with the one that is the most comfortable.
> We both are very happy with the 4300 and it is easy to run
> for both of us.

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #10  
If you like the Deere 4200 better than the 2910, get the Deere. But consider getting the 4300 instead. I think the 4200 is underpowered for its size and weight. This may be one reason Deere is increasing its hp by 2 in the new series. The 4300 will have more power and weight than the 2910 and will have the Deere ergonomics that you apparently like. The 2910 is, however, in my opinion, a better lawn mower than either Deere machine because it is lighter, more maneuverable, and its 72" deck is much easier to remove and install. Tradeoffs.