3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!!

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #1  

Dave52

Tractor
Looking
I had my mind set on a NH TC40DA. But to let my JD dealer friend have a shot at my business and to ease my conscience I stopped down at his dealership yesterday. I test drove both the 3720 and 4120. I confessed to my friend that I was sold on the price the NH dealer had given me and I told him I was aware JD got premium dollar in our area for which I was not willing to spend $$$ on a name. He said he wanted a shot at my business and proceeded to give me one heck of a deal; (20% off MSRP for every thing and anything I would want)
WOW and to think I was going elsewhere; Now the problem is what to buy from him.

The 3720 w/300cx FEL was smooth and quiet with the Yanmar engine and had a lot of power for the size. The 4120 w/400x FEL had the larger frame and the 4 cylinder JD engine but seemed quite a bit louder.
Both tractors will have filled R4 tires and rear valves.

I am leaning toward the 3720 but I want to know if I am making a mistake by not going with the larger frame in the 4120. Also; what options should I get now (20% off) so I won't regret not getting them later?

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #2  
I prefer the larger frame tractors over the smaller. Never have liked the idea of a JD tractor with a yanmar engine. But, I would go with what ever you are comfortable with as far a price goes and your needs for more power. Look into a rotary cutter and maybe a box blade if you might have the need.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #3  
What do you plan on using the tractor to do?

Maybe you don't need to fill the rears on the larger frame?

D.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #4  
TnFarm,

Not trying to get anything started...seriously. But why do you not like the Yanmar engines?

Fig

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!!
I have 100 acres of land of which 60 acres I currently rent out every year for crops. the rest is a mix of old pasture and woods. I plan on building a house and a 40x80 shed. The driveway will be 450' and I will have a 2 acre pond dug to supply the needed fill for all three.

The short term use of the tractor will be for clearing lanes in the wooded areas; planting small food plots, and landscaping the house; shed and pond.

My long term plans are for maintaining the trails and lanes; reseeding food plots; and maybe buying a MMM for open area mowing.

My concern for the 4120 is it to much tractor for my Long term plans ?

Will the 3720 be enough for my short term plans?

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #6  
I have nothing against the Yanmar engines. I just don't like the idea of buying a John Deere tractor with a Yanmar engine. I'm not knocking them in any way. Way to many of them out there for them to be bad.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #7  
What is the price difference between the two? I would base my decision on that. Also it sounds like the box blade will come in handy around the house with the landscaping and drive that will need grading if it is not paved.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!!
The quotes I received were..

3720 -Hydro-R4s; DSCV w/rear SCV $19,950
300cx Loader W/73" Bucket & Delux Hood Guard $3,280

Rebate $500

3720 Total out the door $22,730

4120 Hydro-R4s; DSCV w/rear SCV $20,590
400x Loader w/73" Bucket & Delux Hood Guard $3,590

Rebate $400
Focus Rebate $200

4120 Total out the door $23,580

I think This is very good!!! If not let me know.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #9  
Park them both on either side of a 9000 series tractor. They are both pretty little... You will be surprised how they get smaller after owning them. I would suggest getting the 4120 with the 400x loader. The HPdifference might be small, but you can do a lot more safely with the 400x Its to little difference in price not to take seriously.

/ 3720 or 4120; What to buy!!!! #10  
Is this tractor going to be your only tractor? What about mowing around the house, etc? The reason I ask, I just went through this whole ordeal. I was debating two tractors: 1 for around the house - lawn tractor really and then a larger one for moving dirt, rough cut, etc, etc. I did not want to spend the money and I decided on a 2210. Everybody told me, that would be perfect. Well, it didn't work out that well. It was too big for some items and way to small for others.

So, what did I end up with? I sold the 2210 and got a 4720 with a FEL, box blade, MX-6 for all the big stuff. Then I got a JD 757 zero radius mower. It is an awesome combo. You might want to consider a lawn tractor instead of the dedicated mower, but for my place - it rocks.

I like the larger tractor in the 4000 vs 3000. The 3000 might be closer to be a better all around, but I don't think 1 tractor for everything is a really good combo, especially with the diverse jobs you want to do.

Regards,
D.