Which mower…

/ Which mower… #1  

FingerLakes

Tractor
Looking
I’ve been looking at the JD 2210 for months and waiting for the announcement of its replacement. Thanks to the TBN members, I now have the preliminary information on the new JD 2305. It looks great! Now I need to select the appropriate mower for my application and would appreciate input.

I plan to mow 3-5 acres of meadow grasses just to keep it looking clean but not highly manicured. My real question is “Do I buy a Mid Mount Mower or a 261 Rear-Mount Rotary Mower”.

My impressions are the MMM is more maneuverable, but the RMM is easier to attach and remove as needed (i-Match?). I’ll be mulching around the trees so I don’t need to make sharp turns or mow in a tight radius. Bottom line is… I’m leaning toward the RMM because I could drop it off after mowing and attach a rake or ballast box or what ever much easier than the MMM (my assumption).

Any recommendations?

/ Which mower… #2  
I own the 261 RFM and have been quite happy with it. For pasture mowing, I think a RFM is the way to go. I have gone back and forth over the years on RFM versus MMM and have decided for me it is best to have a bigger tractor (i.e. a CUT) with a RFM for field work and have a small lawn tractor with a MMM for around the house, rather than have a CUT with a MMM and try to use it for both. Best of luck to you /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which mower… #3  
FingerLakes

I would go with the 62C MMM because it's really not to hard to remove the deck, I can do it in under 2 minutes. Goes like this

Pull the deck up to the install point on the dial. Turn all 4 gauge wheels 90 degrees, lower the deck, pull the 2 pins on the rear of the deck, pull the front bracket, remove the gear box drive shaft, pull deck out from under the tractor. Sounds like a lot but if you do it several time it gets easy. This way you don't have the RMM swinging out behind the tractor.

Just my humble opinion.

Malvern /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which mower… #4  
Had a 261 on my my old 650 it's a nice mower if your not going to cut around trees & beds. Have the 62c on my 2210
and it's been great not having to turn around to see if I'm going to clear thing with the rear mower. If you go with the 261 on the 2305 better use front ballast if you don't have a load. It's a pretty heavy mower. Also the 261 is more money!

/ Which mower… #5  
Can't speak for the RFM option as I've never used one, but to me that thing hanging out back would be a recipe for me to forget it was there and catch it on something. As for removing the MMM, and as already mentioned, it is a piece of cake. After a few times, I think you would find it takes even less than two minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Which mower… #6  
The mower sticks out a good 6' and when you turn you always have to make sure you not going to swing it into something.My old 650 I had a 67 loader so I had to do double duty watching front and back not to hit something. On long straight runs it's great. Also doesn't cut as nice as 62c if you don't have the optional chain stops. This keeps the mower level front to back.

/ Which mower… #7  
....not sure what you mean about chain stops....I have the rear wheel height adjusted perfectly with the draft height and the mower is perfectly level

/ Which mower… #8  
the 62" mower will cut nicely,, even in rough areas.
I don't care for the 261, it's a side discharge, way out behind you on the 3ph.. If you were to go that way I'd recommend a rear discharge RFM.
But, the MMM does go on and off very easily, and is well built, and the best visibility.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Which mower… #9  
It's basically two chains that go on the 3pt hitch to the front of the mower that keeps the front of the mower level.

Attachments

• 705964-Chains.jpg
    705964-Chains.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 143
   / Which mower… #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( two chains that go on the 3pt hitch to the front of the mower that keeps the front of the mower level )</font>

level? or do the chains keep the 3pt arms from dropping below a certain point, thus not having to worry about lowering too far and scalping? Possibly you mean 'level' in reference to the rear of the deck, and not 'level' as in height above ground right to left.