3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide?

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #1  

Doug_Norman

Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
First let me say thanks to all who post here. I am looking to buy a tractor and have learned a lot by poking around on this forum.

I'm not sure how to start this long winded question(s). I've looked at Mahindra, Kubota, and John Deere. I'm not too interested in the Mahindra, but today I drove the Kubota GL3130 and the JD 3320. I really want to love the JD, but I have to admit the Kubota was nice. After reading the thread here about how the 3x20 JD FEL won't dump and lift at the same time I had to test it. I tested the 3320 with a 300X and I can tell you that it is true. When I moved the control to the lower right corner, it would not lift until the slowly moving dump was complete. This particular sales guy (not where I would buy - just happened to be next door to the Kubota dealer) didn't have a clue. Tomorrow I'm going to visit my local JD dealer. Getting back to the Kubota, the FEL could perform any combination with no problem. Of course I didn't really work either tractor - this was all under no load.

Okay, so if I can get past this FEL issue, can anyone help me pick which 3000 twenty series to buy. Here is my gut feeling after talking to my local dealer a bit:

I don't want the 3120, because let's face it, it's not really a tractor (I've been told) unless you're sitting on top of at least thirty horses. Maybe these were out of stock.

I want the 3320 because it's over 30 HP, and of course they have them in stock.

I don't know much about the 3520 and 3720 except they are both turbo, differ by 7HP, yet have the same size engine displacement. That makes me wonder what they do to get the extra HP.

Also, any thoughts on the 3320 engine maybe lasting longer. It is actually a larger displacement than the 3520 and 3720. Could that mean the turbo engines are having to work harder?

To give you a clue of how I would use it. I have 12 acres in the Texas hill country, and would be using this tractor for mowing (LX5), loading (300X or 300CX), tilling, post holes, blade work, and chipping (Bear Cat 70554).

What I have in mind right now is the 3320 with a 300X, eHydro, and R4 tires. But I'd appreciate any opinions.

One more thing. My local dealer explained the LoadMatch system to me. Have y'all found this useful? It seems like it could be a real fuel saver having the engine rev up as needed.

Please sell me on a John Deere, I don't know any Kubota songs to sing when I'm plowing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #2  
Doug,

I feel your pain brother. after all the studying and tests I thought I wanted a Kubota 3030 then it was suggested I look at the L series - wanted more features and felt the JD was a cleaner more well equipped machine overall - didnt want to go to a grand L. landed on the 3x20 frames and found my niche. figured the 3120 was fine, but ran into the same thing you did. local dealer didnt stock since it was the smallest one, resale, no one wants one, 1/2 hp under 30, etc. fine. give me the 3320 and lets be done. plenty of grunt and I dont figure I need the extra hp or a turbo (not for my needs), just pass the 30+ mark and make sure it is strong enough for its frame size. yup. then I read about this loader issue. got crossed up on that one for a while but finally released it to the "who cares" category (at least for me). beat the price down to 15,900 incl e hydro and opted for the 300cx loader due to extra capabilities. one note: one of the dealers I was working with said he wont order any standard "material buckets" - only HD due to bending issues and complaints from customers. ok fine - sounds good to me, give me the HD. he said the price diff was +500!! worked it with another dealer who gave it to me for +98.

generally I am totally stunned at how the dealers knowledge can be so narrow as to only carry this or only sell that equipped with one of these, or you dont need that. Most I found cant answer basic questions beyond color, hp and tires. totally unimpressed with such a lack of sales knowledge, skill or tactics.

my favorite is"...for that little tractor you dont need anything more than..."

buddy if you think I am going to give you $20k for a tractor and a few implements, you'd better not call it little. some words just dont go together (ex: any tractor I am paying for and the words "little" or "cute")!!

found another dealer pronto - sorry Mr., but 2900# even before a 1000# FEL is not little in my book.

I'd take the 3320 and call it macaroni, unless you need the biggest baddest turbo kicker they can jam in the frame - then have at it. no biggie either way for me, (just dont let em sucker you into one of those anemic 3120's - they are surely too weak).

not! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #3  
The 3320 is the same HP as my old 4300. The power was fine. The only time it came up short was running the 72" MMM in heavy spring grass. No biggie. Aside from that, the tractor was great.

I now own a 3720 because I didn't want to bog down in thick grass anymore.
It's a little, no a lot of power overkill, but you never have enough ponies under the hood.
Personally, if $$ is an issue, I would still spend a few more bucks and move up to the 3520. The amount of torque difference with the turbo is something you will never regret. Turbochargers last forever as long as the user allows proper cool down time before shutting the machine off. Synthetic oils will also insure turbocharger longevedy IMHO.

Engine size difference is a non issue. The differenct in cubic inches is less than .1L. My guess is that they couldn't squeeze the 3320 target HP out of the 1.5L and still meet tier II emissions.
As far as the FEL goes, my 300CX runs slower than my old 430, but when you have the RPMs cranked a little, it moves fast enough for me.
Good luck with your choices, make sure their green!

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #4  
"I don't want the 3120, because let's face it, it's not really a tractor (I've been told) unless you're sitting on top of at least thirty horses"

Why on earth would you say something like that?

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #5  
Doug,

My weigh in on this is that you would be happy with any of the machines, except maybe the 3120. I have never driven the 3520, but I am sure it is a nice machine. I personally went with the 3720 because where I live it is exceptionally hilly and I wanted good mid range performance, which I now have. I felt the 4310 (pretty equivalent to the 3320) that I traded just did not have enough power with the hydro tranny to negotiate the hills here well. Having traveled to the hill country, I can say it is not that hilly by comparison, and I think a 3320 would do fine. I would steer away from the 3120, as it can barely pull itself, much less with a heavy load. Patience is a virtue with that machine. As far as longevity goes, the turbos' will last as long, if not longer, than the naturally aspirated engines mainly because they are not taxed very much to do the job. I would bet a 3120 would give up the ghost long before a 3520 would, but both engines will last many, many hours. My thought is to get the most power you can and not sacrifice the 300cx loader (for sure) and maybe even upgrading to the MX5 cutter. I would rather have a 3320 with a 300cx than a 3520 and a 300x for example. The other thought is to consider which transmission you want. There are a lot of ehydro's out there, and they are nice, but one could get a power-reverser less expensively and get a bit more useable power and at a bit better price. I just saw a 3520 with a PR on my dealer's lot, which is unusual. The final thing is to get something you could sell if your needs changed. The 3320 will be popular always because it has enough power to get the job done, but is several thousand less than the turbo models. I believe the clientele for those machines would be less, as not as many folks will want to spring for the extra money, although those that do know it right away. The same would apply to the 3120. My dealer has TWO on his lot and has been trying to trade with even the other dealers, none of which want them!!! This does not spell well for consumer resale. Oh...by the way, maybe I have an anomaly, but my FEL will dump and lift simultaneously.

John M

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide?
Hi Roy,

About the 3120 not being a real tractor. I was kidding - my point was that the dealer made it sound that way.

Thanks,
Doug

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide?
Thanks for everyone's input. I just got back from the dealer. This guy is very knowledgeable, but he still couldn't really explain the lift / dump issue. The funny part is I don't even know if I need the feature, but it seems it should work. I have the JD 2005 COMMERCIAL & CONSUMER EQUIPMENT PURCHASING GUIDE and on page 44 for the 300 series loaders it reads </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Loader boom and bucket functions operate through the tractor hydraulic system. The control is integrated into the tractor operator platform for easy operation. Allows simultaneous boom/bucket function using the loader control.)</font>

This makes me think something is wrong. I think I'll hold out buying until JD somehow addresses this issue.

When I do buy, I think y'all have talked into the 300CX, possibly the 3520, and probably the MX5 cutter.

One thing I couldn't really test at the dealer was the LoadMatch system. Anyone have an opinion about it? I'm trying to figure out if it actually revs the engine if needed, or how it actually works.

Thanks again,
Doug

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #8  
that is what he was told to think, not what he thinks. might want to re-read the sentence you cut and paseted for your own post.

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( that is what he was told to think, not what he thinks. might want to re-read the sentence you cut and paseted for your own post. )</font>

I read it right...just thought it was a rather curious thing to say...

/ 3120, 3320, 3520, 3720 - how to decide? #10  
I just brought home my 3520/300x loader and I'll have to say that I do not regret one bit not going with a 3720/300cx. These tractors are identical except for horsepower and lift capacity. Yeah there will always be an instance where you need to lift more or have more horsepower. That will never change. I looked at it this way. Up till this year, the 4410 was probably JD's most popular tractor and anything over the 3320 I consider to be an upgrade from the 4410. More power and more lift capacity for essentially the same price. 3720's and 300cx's are great, but it all comes at a price. I don't plan on doing any open pit mining with mine or mowing 3 foot tall grass at 15 mph, so I didn't see a real need to go any bigger. That's why JD makes more than one model and they all sell eventually. It all depends on what your going to do with it. As long as its green and yellow, your already ahead of most people. Good luck

Attachments

• 709030-3520.jpg
    709030-3520.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 487