large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20?

/ large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20? #1  

seasalt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
large R-4\'s or small R-4\'s for my 3x20?

Does anyone have any experiences to offer on these two? Each has an industrial type tread pattern, but they are both distinctively different. Plus the larger ones look like some HD balloons. Is one pulling ahead for anyone. May be difficult to find someone who has compared the two.

Personally, while the main focus for my primary tasks at hand is off the groomed areas, I dont want to hack up the lawn when I pass through whether once or on multiple cross yard trips.

Also the larger tires I believe have larger and maybe wider fronts to go along. Having stuck a Bota B3030 in a ditch at the dealers largely due to teh fact teh little front wheels turned into anchors in mud and the tractor was too light to get traction and drag them out (turfs - in 4WD lock).

how'd it happen? My wife drove first and stuck it so I had to show her how to cross a muddy ditch - went at it backwards and had it all but done when teh front anchors set in. All it wanted to do from there was tip!!! A real **** puckering event that shyed me away from the lightweight Botas.

May have been flawed thinking but I felt more confident rolling up and down embankments at the JD dealer in a 3x20.

/ large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20? #2  
Re: large R-4\'s or small R-4\'s for my 3x20?

I have the larger and I really like them. They give you the best of both worlds. You have a high flotation tire with a lot of traction. The larger R-4's have a rounded-off shoulder instead of the square shoulder which keeps them in check on the grass. The fronts could be a little wider though. Compared to the rears, they are too narrow. If I have the loader on and drive in the yard, the fronts will pack the grass pretty bad. Without the loader everything is fine. Rides nice and looks cool too. The only other tire I would have considered was the multi tracs, but deere wants $1200 for those- I think not.

/ large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20? #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I have the loader on and drive in the yard, the fronts will pack the grass pretty bad. Without the loader everything is fine. )</font>

If you increase the rear ballast, the front wheels will be lighter with the full loader and this will mitigate your problem. I don't mean adding weight to the rear tires, that is of no use for solving the problem of too much weight on the front tires. You have to use ballast on the back which turns the rears into a fulcrum. Your extra wide rears should be able to distribute the extra weight of the ballast just fine.

Cliff

/ large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20?

Great point Cliff. Something we all need to remember - the difference (and purpose) between loading and counterbalancing.

/ large R-4's or small R-4's for my 3x20? #5  

I'd suggest the larger tires and fill them as well.

The fronts are pretty darn narrow though so you may need to look at something wider. Comparable NH and Allis seem to have wider fronts. Better floatation, but more push when turning...