john deere 5103 or 5203

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #1  

whitearrow

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 5203
good evening guys.i am seriously thinking of purchasing a john deere 5103 or 5203.i want a tractor that will be with me for the long haul,many years of trouble free service.whats the word on these tractors?should i be concerned that they are built in india vs usa?is the john deere quality still there? someone please help,this is my first tractor purchase.i just don't want to screw it up.i want to run rhis tractor for many many years.
thank you for all replies.
whitearrow->>>-------------->

/ john deere 5103 or 5203
bobbyjak,they are more expensive and i like the transmissions in the 03 series better.more simple operation is what i am looking for.simple gears for me,i think that they will last longer that the hydros.
whitearrow->>>----------------------->

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #4  
I considered an 03 also. I wanted the 5303 due to the power. Now, a non-turbo model has merit also - less to break. Too bad they are only 2wd. What do you plan on doing with it?

D.

ddivinia,i don't believe that i need a 4wd.i will be mainly straight line bush hogging and some discing of deer plots.i just want a simple reliable well proven tractor.is this one that i am looking at?
whitearrow->>>----------------->

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #6  
I think you are looking at the right one. Some people don't like the European style fenders, but I think they are cool. They are made out of heavy steel and make a perfect mounting platform for all kinds of stuff. In countries like Inida, it is used as primary transportation. It is not unusual to see them with 7 peopel sitting on the fenders, tc.

Now, the 03s are made in India. That really bugs some people. An American made option is the 5105 or 5205. The biggest draw of the 05s to me, is that they are available in 4WD.

Now, the 5303 seems like the deal to me. 64hp for not a lot more money than the 5103 or 5203. Perhaps you don't want a turbo. A turbo would be something else to break, but I think they are pretty well figured ou these days. What altitude would you be using it? High altitudes, I would definelty get a turbo version.

Also, the front end loader is not easily removed from the 03s, but that might not be a big deal.

Good luck,
D.

ddivinia,i will me using the tractor exclusively in east central mississippi.my eye was orgininally on the 5103 but slowly gravitating towards the 5203,you know just a few more horses.my thinking was like you said about the turbo 5303 something else to go wrong.like i originally posted i want this tractor to be simple and to last.also,i dont think that i will ever need a front end loader.
whitearrow->>>--------------->

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #8  
White Arrow,

There is more discussion on the 5103 on July 16 entitled
"5103 is there a better option". I am no whiz on this machine or I would link it for you. I asked the question and got a lot of responses. I am still toying with the 5103 vs 5105 option myself--I wish the 5103 had 4wd. All the posts I have gotten recommend 4wd for FEL use with these compact tractors. I grew up on a farm and only know about farm tractors and we never had 4wd and I really don't want it. But if it takes 4wd to make the FEL work to its full potential, then I guess I better consider it. The 5103 sound like a good bet for little maintenance and according to the posts I mentioned above has adequate power, especially for a flatlander. I never received a post from anyone who has used a 5103 with a FEL describing its limitations, but if the FEL is not an issue, sounds like the 5103 is a good bet and affordable.

I don't know what to think about the India issue. Not sure that matters anymore. Instinctively I had rather send my money to the boys in Georgia than someone in India. The India made tractor may leave money profit in the U.S., who know.

Good hunting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #9  
Here's the link to the previous 5103 discussion.

It appears that cowboydoc gives it his seal of approval, so I wouldn't worry about whether it's a good tractor or not.

/ john deere 5103 or 5203 #10  
They are 100% designed and engineered by Deere. The reason that they are sold in India is because they sell 90% of the 03 series in India. Only 10% of the tractors made there are sold in the US. Also the engine, drive train, wheels, etc. are all made in the US and shipped to India for assembly. The engine is the same one that is used in the much more expensive 25 series. As far as being bulletproof I don't know where you'd find a better tractor for the money. If you like gadgets and modern transmissions and conveniences this tractor is not for you. But if you want a no frills tough as nails tractor like what rolled off the assembly line 30 years ago this is your tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif