4000 series?

/ 4000 series? #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

I was talking with my dealer today and the 4000 series tractors were discussed. He said, "Why don't you let me order you one?" I must admit I was tempted. My 3720 is great. I love it. I find no fault with it at all and enjoy using it a lot. As some of you know from my previous postings, I have used about every small and mid frame John Deere. I have owned a 4310 and my current machine (and a 595 previously) and have enjoyed them all. My only complaint about my 4310 is that it struggled to handle the hills of my area; otherwise, it was a great machine and I know why it is so popular among JD enthusiasts. That is the ONLY reason I went to the 3720. My current machine does everything I need it to, and really does well. After almost 80 hours, no complaints. Sometimes I wish for a bit more weight when doing ground engagement tasks, but this is not a major problem. The only advantage I see to the 4000 series is the slightly wider stance, which would be an attribute here in the mountains, and the increased weight. My 3720 pulls my 60" box blade about the same as my 595 pulled the 48", and that's good; I only rarely have traction issues and this is when I am on the steepest parts of my drive and/or property. I wonder, will the 4000 handle a 72" that well, or better? My main questions would be: would a 4000 series offer enough benefits over my 3720 to merit a trade of a machine I like?; Would a 4000 series handle a bigger box blade more easily than my 3720 does now in my terrain (it does well)? and if the answer is "yes" which 4000 series machine would offer the same power/weight and excellent engine performance of my 3720? I must admit, I am a little gun-shy of the Power Tech engines v. the Yanmar, but that may be because I have never actually used one. Interestingly, when I have discussed the mid and large frames in other questions, I have strongly felt that the mid frame was the better option overall in most cases; now, in my case I need some advice. I appreciate all's help. (Please try to talk me out of it.) Kidding.

John M

/ 4000 series? #2  
Go for it. Always can go back to the mid size next year. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4000 series? #3  
Well, your dealer knows he'll get ONE of them back, if he brings another over to try. Or does he? Maybe he's worried you'd keep both!

I don't see what the big deal is... Have him bring you a 4x20 to try some weekend that is good for both of you. Do it in the name of Science and TBN and the American Way!

We EXPECT a full report! But please don't get hurt, we have future missions in mind for you....