JD 5025 series opinions/experience

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #1  

DK_Farms

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4610 E-hydro 4WD, JD 5525 4WD Cab
It's simply amazing how mowing 28 acres in 96 degree heat and 96% humidity will allow you to effortlessly rationalize buying a tractor with a cab and air conditioning. I currently have a JD4610/loader/MX6/box blade/straight blade/grooming mower (all cat1/2 capable) that I use for general upkeep and improvements. I also hire out occasionally. My grain farming tenants have abandoned me so it looks like I will be doing what I do now Plus making a little hay until beans get back to $15 a bushel. My neighbors will share input costs and bale it for the hay. I will help them cut and rake, using their tools. I was considering upgrading to a JD 5425/loader and the MX10 cutter, 81 HP turbocharged and 65 PTO HP.(cab and air) A neighbor has one he really likes and it seems that alot of the 6000 series features have been ported down to this series for alot less money.(cab and air) I like the additional HP so I can run a hay cutter or baler if needed and it looks like I can maintain my Cat1/2 compatibility and not have to upgrade all the tools I use now, except for the grooming mower which I was planning to replace with a ZTR anyway. Oh, did I mention cab and air? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm looking at Massey, Valtra, and New Hollands as well. Although I bleed green, I am willing to compromise on features versus dollars. All input welcome. Thanks
Ken

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #2  
About two weeks ago ordered a 5425 MFWD tractor. I also ordered an MX8, FEL, and blade. I went w/ MX8 because I do have to get around some tight spots around the corrals and barn. I didn't get the cab, wife didn't want me to be too comfy on that thing. Use it for mostly pasture/cows/mowing etc. You pay a little more for the green paint, but in 30 years you will still be able to get parts. Also considered the Kubota, but there was some things I didn't like about how they put some things together. Rented each for about 8 hrs, and definitely liked the JD best.

Mine isn't due until Oct and have a long list of chores, so will provide a report than.

Good luck with your evaluations...

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #3  
Mpeterson I am also looking to buy a tractor in the 65 to 75 PTO hp range and was comparing the Deere 5425 and Kubota M6800 & M8200 what were the things about the Kubota you didn't like? In my area Kubotas can be bought much cheaper than Deere, but if there are major differences, I'd pay the extra money.

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #4  
DK Farms - You're most likely caught up in the Katrina disaster. I hope all is well with you and family. Up in the northeast people are definitely concerned and following the news closely. I'm a JD 5325 owner and would be glad to add to this thread but only after knowing all is well with you and you are still in need of input....Best Wishes, Gary

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #5  
I am looking into the 5525 w/Cab for the 75 PTO HP... how do you like yours? Any Pros or Cons you can share would be appricated.

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #6  
JD 100 TLB - I have 75 hours on my non-cab 5325. My experience is limited to the projects I have taken on. I have power-reverser transmission, 4WD, and diff lock. The power-reverser, the 5325 weight, and hp have enabled me to make fast work of an overgrown field covered with trees/bushes/vines. The combination of JD clearance, 4WD, and locking diff have gotten me out of several stuck situations in land holes..that has been without the BH49. The frame mounted BH diminishes ground clearance and one needs to be more careful in traversing uneven or rock laden ground. I would rate the BH as adequate but not special. I think the construction JD BHs are stronger and provide faster removal of rocks and stumps. Ergonomics are great and I do have the joystick FEL control which my new incoming grapple will make full use of. The FEL, BH, and 3pt hitch equipment are easy to change over. Build quality is excellent. At the moment I would not trade my JD for any other utility tractor. Any specifics you're interested in?

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience
Thanks for the concern about Katrina. Fortunately, I'm 50 miles west of Baton Rouge so all we received was 40 mph wind gusts and little to no rain. If the storm had shifted another 100 miles west, we'd have been in a world of hurt. The only casualty has been my cell phones. They were registered out of New Orleans so I can't receive any incoming calls now. Guess that's better than living on my roof.

I test drove a 5425 4WD with cab and the ergonomics felt better than the others, but that could be that I'm already familiar with the Deere "cockpit". Although I bleed green, I did look at Kubotas, Masseys, and Valtras. All are popular here and Kubotas and Deere are comparably priced. I won't start a flame thread by posting what I like/didn't like about them. The Deere was overall the best I tested and the quoted price for a 5425/cab/MFWD/PowerReverser/Joystick was 22% off list. So far the Deere has it.

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #8  
I bought a 5525 4wd cab on Friday - it rocks. I really like the 25 series - big, but not too big and enough power.

The ePTO is really cool.

D.

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience
Well, I did it. Ordered a 5525 today.

/ JD 5025 series opinions/experience #10  
Cool deal - what all did you order on it?

I mowed with mine for an hour or so tonight - man, it rocks.

Congrats,
D.