Buying Advice I some advice about tractor?

/ I some advice about tractor? #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

I have written a couple of posts regarding the little field test that was done on the 4520 my friend and business partner was contemplating. As I noted in those posts, I secretly was hoping he would not want it. My friend has decided to keep his tried and true Massey another year. He really liked the John Deere, but did not want to spend for it just yet. This leaves me in some quandry. The local dealer, who I know and like--but who is not my regular dealer-- is selling this machine for invoice. The reason is that the machine was ordered for a customer who decided at the last minute not to take it (I think due to price, not the machine). It has 5.2 hours on it, including the 2.3 hours we put on it this weekend. It is an ehydro model. I currently have a 3720 with 82 hours on it, which I really like. The dealer has offered the following: Tractor= $21,972 (invoice) + loader $3250 + 72" Frontier Boxblade 635.00 for a total of 25,857 plus tax. He also offered 36 month financing??? at 0% APR (I guess this is a John Deere promo). He offered to change over the cruise and air ride seat from my machine at no charge as well as let me keep my I match hitch. I own my 3720, and have never financed anything through the John Deere program. It does, though seem if I were to trade, I could potentially invest this money and use the program. The dealer offered to put my tractor on the lot and sell it for me. 3720's are hard to find around here and he feels it will sell. If I buy a tractor from them, he would not charge commission. I have a few questions: first, even though I was initially looking at a 4720 (if anything) this 4520 came available. It seems like a good deal and a chance to move up in size, which I really do not need, but could use fine (it is much bigger than my current needs). Is the deal a good one? Second, what is this program the dealer is mentioning and is it worth doing? (I.E. can someone explain it to me). Finally, what would a 3720 with R4 tires and loader and box blade be priced with the above hours and would it likely sell quickly, and is this a scenario I should, or should not take advantage of? I appreciate all replies. I will say that I am not enamoured with the idea of trading, but I would ultimately like a large frame, and if this is the time to get a good price on a good machine, I would do it. I love my 3720 though, decisions, decisions....

John M

/ I some advice about tractor? #2  
I can't find a 3720 for sale and none of the used equipment appraisal links I use have your model listed. Like Tim the toolman says ("Big is Better...ruh, ruh, ruh).... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck!

/ I some advice about tractor? #3  
Hi Doc John are you still beating yourself up over that large frame? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it was me and I had A 3720 free and clear and was thinking of A trade I would go straight for the 4720. Im sure your dealer friend wont mind, he could easily sell the 4520. The tractor itself is no bigger but you get the extra umph. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The next post we want to read from you Doc is the specs and price for your 4720. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Adios , Mike

/ I some advice about tractor? #4  
First I want a real good explanation for the title of this thread. Lets just say I thought it was by a different poster...

Did you get to try the tractor on your place? I really think that is the most important thing. If you have, and like it, I don't think you would lose.

/ I some advice about tractor? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I will say that I am not enamoured with the idea of trading, but I would ultimately like a large frame, and if this is the time to get a good price on a good machine, I would do it. I love my 3720 though, decisions, decisions....
)</font>

Ahhh, to upgrade, or not to upgrade. That is the question. I have no crystal ball answer for you.

Sounds like the dealer is doing everthing possible including bending over backwards to convince you. Most dealers would want a little to sell your tractor for you. The price is great. What would the difference be between the 4520 and the 4720 in price? Would the dealer be so eager to make a deal on a 4720? Would you miss the extra HP if you bought the 4520? These are all questions only you can answer.

You pretty much have narrowed it down to mid size vs. a bigger frame.

I would love a 3720 over my 4310 but I can't swallow the upgrade difference in price (and we have a 5420 for big jobs). Plus, I want to stay in Club 4310. The dues are very reasonable for what you get... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I some advice about tractor?
Mike,

Ah yes!!; I follow your line of thought. I neglected to put the "need" in there. I did not use the tractor at my place but I did drive it to the nooks and crannies to see if it would fit. My 3720 does not fit everywhere I want it to, but the 4520 went everywhere the smaller machine would. My current machine will do everything I need it to, so I have no doubts the 4520 will. My biggest desire out of any machine I use is to be able to blast up and down hills, and pull attachments or with heavy loads, etc. without struggling on difficult terrain. My initial thought is that the 4520 was as strong going up and down hills, even in high range, as my current machine, but I had no attachments mounted. Both the front and rear tires were loaded though. I doubt I will see a deal this good come along again, so if the chance to upgrade exists and the difference between the 4520 and a 4720 is small (which it seems to be on paper) would I be well-advised to proceed. My initial thoughts are "yes" but I just do not want to make an expensive mistake. What are the panel's thoughts about the likelihood of my dealer being able to move my current machine. It seems as though it would be popular, but I am not sure how well used mid frame's move in general (it looks like new).

John M

/ I some advice about tractor? #7  
The 'only' drawback that comes to mind is that some folks haven't been enamoured with the Deere engine vs. the Yanmar. But again, you have tried it, and will probably at least get a few days before your 3720 would sell. I doubt it would take long, though!

/ I some advice about tractor?
Mike,

That is certainly the case with me too. I have heard some rare problem stories with the Deere engine. I have always been partial to the Yanmar, but I must admit, the Deere engine feels pretty torquey. I do not know about longevity, but I doubt I will put enough hours on the machine in its lifetime to wear it out. When I compare torque numbers and weights, the 4520 and the 3720 seem pretty close, but my seat of the pants impression was that the 4520 had more top end grunt than did my 3720. Mid range, though, I could not tell any real difference. Of course, this was comprised of running as hard as I could with both machines up and down the steepest hill I could find in top gear. Who knows what other venues/tasks would do. One other nice thing I noted is that the large frame machine does not tend to slide as much on steep slopes as does the mid frame I have. This is a small point, but often when I come down my very steep gravel drive, I will slide with my machine if I let off on the hydro pedal. This did not happen with the larger machine. Must be the 1000 or so pounds of liquid ballast in the tires. The dealer says they are filled with methanol, not ethylene glycol or Rimguard. I have never heard of that, is that standard procedure? My 3720 has Rimguard currently, which I changed to from anti-freeze.

John M