Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match?

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #1  

BluRidgDav

I'm a little bit curious/confused by John Deere's choice of materials when it comes to it's different models of tractors.

I started looking at the X-series which have both plastic hoods and plastic fenders. Very modern styled machines.

Then I looked at the 2210. Modern plastic fenders, but with a classic, blocky shaped, steel hood.

When the 2305 was introduced with a more sloped hood profile, I expected (hoped?) that it would be made out of plastic, to go with it's 2210-like plastic fenders. But, it's hood is still made out of steel.

Now, I'm looking at 4110's & 4115's, and actually starting to appreciate their classic styling with steel fenders, and blocky shaped hoods. Imagine my surprise, when I found out that their hoods are made out of plastic!

Is there any rhyme or reason behind Deere's mix & match philosophy?

Thanx, Dave.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #2  
You are looking at t a mix of machines that are built by John Deere or custom manufactured for Deere by Yanmar. My guess is the metal hoods are Yanmar. Deere loves using the polymer. i love owning it.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #3  
Dave, It is explained in two words, outsourcing and vendors. JD is getting more like Craftsman, just take something someone else made and stick your label on it.

Ben

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #4  
i noticed my 5103 has the new composite stuff....i have mixed feelings about it. On the upside, paint will stay glossier longer and it is much lighter than metal therefore easier to work with and also no rust. The down side is it seems to take away from the body strength of the tractor. The stuff is not too bad.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #5  
Wow, you can post anything. where do you figure that? Deere owns almost every plant that produces their products, and has had a very long standing exclusive relationship with Yanmar.

Outsourcingeverything and sticking their name on things, gimme a break.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #6  
Wow, you can post anything. where do you figure that? Deere owns almost every plant that produces their products, and has had a very long standing exclusive relationship with Yanmar.

Outsourcingeverything and sticking their name on things, gimme a break.

Ya' it is outsourcing parts with their name pinned to it and you know it. Like the entire Engine Yanmar makes not JD... It's just amazing how blind the green makes people.

I have no use for the plastic hood/fenders, its actually just another way they make money down the road from those who keep their tractor looking decent. As it ages the molecules break down from the suns ozone and these poly parts become more brittle and split/crumble with every little bump they get. It may be ok on a cheap MTD lawnmower but it will never meet higher standards expected from a quality built tractor. Embarrass's the **** of an owner every time its mentioned making us stand up for Deere's quality. But' I stopped doing it for them yrs ago and I simply state the real fact how Deere don't give a crap about their tractors quality. Today's JD tractors quality compared to what they once built for us is not even close. Maybe' I'm not as blinded by the green as others seem to be though? The fact everyone keeps defending JD when we know quality has been slipping away over a decade now allows them to continue degrading our tractors. Keep that up and we might as well buy an off brand because the quality will in fact be equal on them.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #7  
Ya' it is outsourcing parts with their name pinned to it and you know it. Like the entire Engine Yanmar makes not JD... It's just amazing how blind the green makes people.

I have no use for the plastic hood/fenders, its actually just another way they make money down the road from those who keep their tractor looking decent. As it ages the molecules break down from the suns ozone and these poly parts become more brittle and split/crumble with every little bump they get. It may be ok on a cheap MTD lawnmower but it will never meet higher standards expected from a quality built tractor. Embarrass's the **** of an owner every time its mentioned making us stand up for Deere's quality. But' I stopped doing it for them yrs ago and I simply state the real fact how Deere don't give a crap about their tractors quality. Today's JD tractors quality compared to what they once built for us is not even close. Maybe' I'm not as blinded by the green as others seem to be though? The fact everyone keeps defending JD when we know quality has been slipping away over a decade now allows them to continue degrading our tractors. Keep that up and we might as well buy an off brand because the quality will in fact be equal on them.

Guess you don't have any issues with your 4 legged tractor.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #8  
First time poster on a 15 year old thread.

/ Hoods & Fenders, Plastic & Steel, Mix & Match? #10  
First time poster on a 15 year old thread.

Probably the life expectancy of a plastic fender. :laughing:

Man, I wonder how people come across these 15 year old threads, then decide to join just to poke a tiger? I mean, yes, I'll occasionally pull up an oldy to bump it for a part number reference, or repair reference, but not to grind an axe.