Are John Deere owners too naive?

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #1  

18KwPower

Are John Deere owners too naive?

Take for instance this poor guy... He bought a 445 JD from a dealer as a low hour tractor... The tractor came straight from JD Horicon to the dealer...
But, the tractor wasn't a low hour tractor... From what I can see reading the web page, the engine serial number didn't match what it was built with, the transaxle s/n didn't match either, and the radiator was built after the tractor was built.

http://www.deeretesttractor.com

Why didn't he just make the dealer refund his money, and go get something else? He mentions a new manager on the page, so their must have been a management change at the dealer ( because of the tractor?).

Comments? Thoughts?

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #2  
Someone swept the floor of the experimental department and assembled a tractor with the parts. Probably paid junk price. I suspect Horicon plant would come a bit unglued if they found out who. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But likely someone made some good money, or else bought at a very low price and then found out they had a bad deal. I didn't follow the whole thread, as it was not well written for understanding.
I'd chalk it up as nothing to do with "John Deere owners being naive", and am not sure what your implication was with the title. But it renders out to being similar to the kinds of media headlines we see coming from the Katrina and Rita hurricanes. Hard to find the truth or the intent therein. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
No offence to you, as I think you meant well to point something out.
But if I am naive as a John Deere owner, I am a happy 'naive' owner. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #3  
You posted this in the wrong forum. Kioti is down the page a bit...

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #4  
I would have kept it and bought a different tractor. It may be worth a lot of money to a collector some day.

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #5  
<font color="blue"> </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are John Deere owners too naive? )</font> </font>

I have had a John Deere tractor for 5 years....I am not as naive as I was before I bought the tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #6  
Well, all tractors are a collection of parts. Biggest difference here is where they were assembled, isn't it?

Rather inane thread, I think...

/ Are John Deere owners too naive?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would have kept it and bought a different tractor. It may be worth a lot of money to a collector some day. )</font>

Hmm... I've heard the same comment from some other JD owners. But, given the tractor was assembled out of a pile of parts... It seemed to me that it was more like going to a car dealer then finding that the car you bought was a car made from junk yard parts. Or, possibly like buying a car that the odometer was rolled back on.

Just trying to generate some discussion with the title... I don't actually think the person involved was very naive. It took some persistance on his part to figure out what the tractor was... Then to make the dealer do something to make things right.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You posted this in the wrong forum. Kioti is down the page a bit... )</font>
What's a Kioti? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Are John Deere owners too naive? #10  
I am amazed. I own a small JD lawn/garden tractor (a GT235) and am extremely impressed by the quality of the unit compared to the other riders that I have owned (this was a couple of years before JD got into the horsepower wars and started selling their low-end Sabers at Home Depot under the Scotts/JD name). Everything from the controls to the transmission are top notch (I bought it because of the heavier duty transmission - the other 18 HP rider I owned could not pull my Hasty-Vac up hills).
My point is that a company that justifies its high prices on a well engineered, high quality product that is backed by a first class service and support network should have done whatever they could to resolve the situation without the hassles that this person obviously ran into.
Once they became aware of the situation - JD should have bought the unit back from the customer and immediately sent it to the crusher to avoid a repeat. The reason the unit should have been destroyed (even if functional) is because the hodge-podge of parts made it in a practical sense - unserviceable (and therefore a future blemish on JDs service and support reputation).

BTW - I still think they make some of the best "complete systems" on the market - just too expensive for my blood.

Joe