John Deere 4100 to purchase or not to purchase.

/ John Deere 4100 to purchase or not to purchase. #1  

MikeSimo

Tractor
John Deere 4100
I am looking at a JD 4100 with hydrostatic drive and a 410 bucket. It is coming up for sale from a rental place that is going out of business. The total hours are between 1500 and 1600. Not sure of the year. It is a little beat up but have rented it and it runs well. Any ideas on what this would be worth?

Thanks for any advice/assistance. Just don't want to get ripped off.

/ John Deere 4100 to purchase or not to purchase. #2  
You can be sure that it has not been babied during its life of a rental tractor. But, its built to keep running given reasonable care.

My guess, would be in the $4,000 range. With that many rental hours, I suspect it doesn't owe the agency much.
If you can get the records of any repair beyond normal maintenance.

Is this an auction? Or where the price is named by the seller? Or where the buyer is to make an offer?

Take the serial number and stop at a Deere dealer, and ask for them to look up the record on file in their computer system. You should find the ownership history and purchase date, plus any major warranty fixes and I suspect major repairs, if any. You will want to have a dealer to work with anyway, and this may be a good place to start. You might even find a better (or good as) deal while there in the price range you want to stick to.

/ John Deere 4100 to purchase or not to purchase. #3  
I doubt you'll get it for 4,000. 1,500 hours on a machine that costs what, $14,000 new? They could probably get more from a dealer or ebay where it could be sold without the new user knowing it was a rental machine. Seems to me 8,000 would be more likely. Depends on what state it's in as to whether it's worth that or not.

Cliff

/ John Deere 4100 to purchase or not to purchase. #4  
What year is the 4100?

I would agree that it will go for closer to $8000 than $4000.

1500 hours is not going to be a big deal if maintained.

Much of the "banged up" look is going to be cosmetic. If you care about shiny on the outside, buy a new machine. If you care about shiny on the inside, buy a used machine that has had the oil changed on a regular basis.

A couple of cans of touch up paint can go a long way towards making you happy you saved $thousands compared to a new machine.

Also, don't be afraid to spend a few more bucks replacing anything that is broken or missing. You will still come out thousands ahead of buying new. JD still stocks every part on the 4100 - probably will for years since I think they they had it on the GSA schedule which requires them to sell parts for at least ten years past the last time they sold one to the feds.

Another thing about used is if you decide its not the right tractor for you, or you are done with whatever task you needed it for, when you sell it, it won't have depreciated that much more compared to when you bought it. You will probably be able to get most of your money back out of it again (assuming you payed an OK price when you bought).

- Rick