Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #1  

john_in_va

I am ready to purchase a 3120 with the loader. Price I am quoted is 19K, 15.9 for the tractor and 3.1 for the loader. I was going with a MMM, but at $3500. thought I could get a great riding mower for the price, and only take the big tractor out for the tough jobs.

I have eleven acres, five in paddocks and five in hay. The land is pretty level, I have some trees to cut around, hence the riding mower for the lawn. The tractor is for taking care of the horses, building the ring, bush hogging etc.

My questions:

Does this make sense or is a tractor like this overkill for me?

How does the price look?

I have also driven the Kubotas, just didnt like them, and the price of the JD just being a little higher has got me leaning towards green.

Thanks in advance for all replies

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #2  
I was also considering the 3120. Seems like a great tractor. I went with the Kubota B3030 fel, 6ft 3pt mower and 5ft box blade. I paid 19500 for the package. It s great so far and I am happy with my choice. I would have spent at least 3000-4000 more for the 3120.

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #3  
John,

That price seems pretty good. The 3120 would do what you want it to. I cannot speak to "overkill" as I have a 4520 for my 4.5 acres, although I do a lot of work for my parents who have 12. If the number of trees is not prohibitive, why not get a nice Frontier or equivalent RFM for 1800.00 and pull it behind the tractor? They cut great, and you would not have to buy a second machine, unless you just wanted to. I find that in most instances, with practice, one can weave between trees and do a fine job of mowing, and the mowers are a snap to attach and detach. You might even get one cheaper if you figured it with the deal. I personally think John Deere mid frames are more ergonomic than the Kubotas, but I do not slight the orange ones in the least. I just feel the green machines have an edge in most machines in the compact lineup.

John M

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am ready to purchase a 3120 with the loader. Price I am quoted is 19K, 15.9 for the tractor and 3.1 for the loader. I was going with a MMM, but at $3500. thought I could get a great riding mower for the price, and only take the big tractor out for the tough jobs.

I have eleven acres, five in paddocks and five in hay. The land is pretty level, I have some trees to cut around, hence the riding mower for the lawn. The tractor is for taking care of the horses, building the ring, bush hogging etc.

My questions:

Does this make sense or is a tractor like this overkill for me?

How does the price look?

I have also driven the Kubotas, just didnt like them, and the price of the JD just being a little higher has got me leaning towards green.

Thanks in advance for all replies )</font>

If you were only mowing I'd say the 3120 would be adequate, but since you're saving it for the heavy jobs then I'd estimate it to be a bit light in the horsepower department. I'd suggest you move up one notch to the 3320 or even better, the 3520. These have much more torque to pull various plows, rakes, and box blades; partucularly the 3520. More money, yes, but more tractor in the same dimensional size as the 3120.

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #5  
I am going with the 3320 with 300X and 7-iron MMM for 21K OTD used with 50 hours. Check around and you might be able to get what you really want for the right price.

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120
I can get the 3320 for $800 more. I know there is only a 2 hp difference, I was wondering what the torque for each tractor is? I was not able to find it on the website.

I considered a rear mount mower, but I was concerned about the maneuvering around trees, and maybe knocking into a fence post or two.

Any opinions on the riding mower? I figure I have about two acres of Bermuda that I will have to mow regularly with the riding mower. I have looked at the JD line, I was wondering if there were other brands out there that are as well built and are less expensive.

I now realize why JDs are green, it is the color of my money!!

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I can get the 3320 for $800 more. I know there is only a 2 hp difference, I was wondering what the torque for each tractor is? I was not able to find it on the website.

I considered a rear mount mower, but I was concerned about the maneuvering around trees, and maybe knocking into a fence post or two.

Any opinions on the riding mower? I figure I have about two acres of Bermuda that I will have to mow regularly with the riding mower. I have looked at the JD line, I was wondering if there were other brands out there that are as well built and are less expensive.

I now realize why JDs are green, it is the color of my money!! )</font>

It's a three horsepower difference.

Horsepower = torque x RPM divided by 5252. Since we know that the horsepower of the 3320 is 32.5 at 2600 RPM, we can calculate torque. If my algebra is correct, torque is 63.6 ft.lbs. at 2600 RPM. What I can't calculate is what the torque figure woould be at less than max engine speed. The 3120 torque figure is 59.6 ft.lbs, about a 7% difference, it would be feelable when operating an implement that requires pulling power. If you go to a 3520, torque jumps to 74.7 ft.lbs., a very meaningful increase.

/ Ready to buy, need some opinions on 3120 #8  
John,

The other posters make good points. The difference of $800.00 between a 3120 and a 3320 is I think worth spending. In my previous post, I suppose I was under the thought that you wanted to know if a 3120 was TOO MUCH for your needs. I think not and feel it would be a good machine for you. My previous thoughts though on the 3120 are pretty well known in this forum, as I think they have too little engine power for their size. That said the 3120 is a more powerful machine than the old 4210, and would do a good job, particularly on flat ground. The 3320 machines are more popular, mainly because they have more power in the size and are only a little more pricey. The turbo machines are a major step up in performance, but are also a major step up in price, so one would have to really debate about the worth of that. With regard to the rear mounted mower, I still feel that should be considered. I was a dedicated MMM fan, until I used a rear mount. In some cases it IS more balky and tough to manuver, but in most, it is just as good. Also, it can be better for trimming under trees and fencing due to its position. I think you would have a tough time finding a REALLY good mower for your mentioned price range, unless used. I think highly of the John Deere 300 series and X465 and X475, and the new Kubota, but all of those are more than twice the price of your goal.

John M