Deere 9620

/ Deere 9620 #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
Guys, I have a true Frankenstein on my hands. I have found a 2004 9620 (500hp) at a large cattle operation just a few miles from me. They used it to disc fields and to pack and push silage. It caught fire about a month ago with 437 hours on the clock. It still runs (according to owner) but the entire cab and insides were destroyed. Two of the back tires were blown out from the fire also. The owner would like to get 85k for it. I know these things new are about 200k or more. The damage is pretty extensive but mainly confined to the cab. I have restored several cars and tractors (mostly 8Ns) in my time but never something of this magnitude or size. Anyone have any advice? Or should I leave this giant be?

/ Deere 9620 #2  
Man, parts could kill you on that. You really need to make sure you can buy it right. I would get a bid from a dealer to fix it and go from there. Did he buy it from his insurance company?

D.

/ Deere 9620
not real sure if he bought it from the insurance co., i have never operated on of these nor do i need one. I was going to redo it and sell it.

/ Deere 9620 #4  
You can get prices for parts online. However, I'm sure the list is long and $$$.

Figure out how much a cab would be. The new GPS electonics are high too.

Maybe labor would be cheap but can you replace the 2 huge tires? Do you have a crane available? I know it would be way, way far out of my league. You might end up with $200K in it after your done.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Deere 9620 #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Guys, I have a true Frankenstein on my hands. I have found a 2004 9620 (500hp) at a large cattle operation just a few miles from me. They used it to disc fields and to pack and push silage. It caught fire about a month ago with 437 hours on the clock. It still runs (according to owner) but the entire cab and insides were destroyed. Two of the back tires were blown out from the fire also. The owner would like to get 85k for it. I know these things new are about 200k or more. The damage is pretty extensive but mainly confined to the cab. I have restored several cars and tractors (mostly 8Ns) in my time but never something of this magnitude or size. Anyone have any advice? Or should I leave this giant be? )</font>

I suspect this whole thing is a bit like cars, the bottom line without all the spitting and weeping is the tractor is more likely worth more in parts than as a rebuild.

Then the question becomes, Can you sell $85,000 worth of tractor parts in, say, a year? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Deere 9620 #6  
Most of the parts aren't specific to just that tractor and many are already available in salvage yards. Most cab parts from a 9100 on up to the 9620 will fit and I *think* the wiring harneses on the 8000 series are the same on many of the components.

The severity of the cab rebuild would be the main issue. How hot was the fire, enough to take the temper out of the steel? Windows all intact?

Interior padding kits aren't too expensive or tough to install.

The tire shops generally mount the tires for free, and even if you mounted them yourself, it's not too bad, just use plenty of soap and pay attention to the mounting recesses.

Where it get's touchy is under the dash, but if it starts and shuts off with the key and they aren't doing some gymnastics starting it from the outside or the key wires aren't patched up ,then the damage in that area can't be too extensive.

I've done most of the jobs you'd have to do and it isn't that tough. And, if you don't get in a hurry, it can be relatively inexpensive.

Not having seen the tractor, I'd say it's extremely doable but my question would be , why isn't the owner doing the project? Doesn't sound like so much damage that the insurance company would total it. So from that standpoint, be careful, there could be some hinky dealings going on.

/ Deere 9620 #7  
Dealers typically run away from fire-damaged tractors...let alone the potential buyers. My guess this fact is due to the high cost of labor and the unknowns of the rebuild.

I wouldn't touch it. The stakes are too high for me. I am scared off by a project that requires assets approaching my net worth.

Remember that the 9620 is the biggest tractor that Deere builds, thus a limited market.

/ Deere 9620 #8  
By the way, any idea why or how the tractor caught fire? Sometimes there are good reasons why things catch fire...a towed implement had a bearing overheat, a welder throws a spark or something else was on fire near it. Other times the fire is a mystery like electrical shorts or other bizarre circumstances.

/ Deere 9620
he said it caught fire while they were doing a control burn an he was pushing fire lines.....i talked it over with the fellow yesterday and he said he would like to sell it for parts b/c the insurance adjuster totaled it. Whats funny is it starts with a key! The cab windows are gone and the cab is really warped. Anything plastic or fabric melted away. The steering wheel forward is not awful but would need to be fixed. From the operators seat back is a total loss. He figured it would take close to 60k to get it back right. I think this thing is a little out of my league. There are a bunch of these in my area so maybe someone will buy it for parts. I just do not think I have the equipment to handle a job of this magnitude. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the input!