All your John Deere are belong to us

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #1  

jeepinator

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520, JD X739
I got a quote from a local dealer for a 3520 w/ R4s, 300CX (61" bucket, HD status unknown), MX5 cutter, and 5' box scraper (brand unknown).
$24,487
I live in the Portland OR, metro area.
The salesman was great. No BS, plenty of help, lots of downselling, working with me after closing, etc. I've had my JD riding mower serviced there and happy about it. I will be buying from this place.
I just want to be sure this price is not full-on out of control.
I forgot to have him add a tiller, but I'll want one of them.

I have been lurking on this board for a few months. Really apreciate the content here. Helped me speak intelligently to sales rep and get down to business sooner.
If/when this deal is done I intend to provide feedback for anyone in the area to use.

My only other question is: What do I need to buy to make this tractor work as best as possible as an earth mover? Please understand, I am aware that no tractor can do the job of a cat... but I do need to level/smooth/finish/grade what I would call large lawn area. I'd like to try and do this part myself, with my new tractor. My thinking, based on no experience at all (previous city slicker I am), I was thinking to till it good and the level it. It's fairly level now, but I want that paper flat look before I seed. If not possible, I am OK with it. Just need to know now so I have proper expectations.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

(if the thread title totally baffles you, that is OK /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #2  
Welcome To TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Like the tractor you have on order. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
<font color="blue"> What do I need to buy to make this tractor work as best as possible as an earth mover? </font>
First item would be a tooth bar for FEL Bucket. Here is a current thread on the subject. Click Here
You may want to add a Landscape Rake with gage wheels. Here is a thread. Click Here
Buying or renting a Harley Rake would be the best tool for lawn leveling. Click Here
The price for buying a Harley Rake is over $5000. Your dealer may have one he rents.

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #3  
I think you did good. I personally would have had a 73" HD Bucket in the front. Unless you have an issue with trying to drive inbetween two narrow objects. The Light Duty buckets often bend and warp. Take a look on ebay, and you will see a lot of the used equipment with the distorted light duty buckets. The HD bucket is really a solid bucket. Mine is not bent or deformed in anyway, and I have 3 welded lift hooks attached to the top foil of the bucket. I also like it because it covers the whole width of the rear of the machine. Which yours will too, going in a straight line. But if you had to turn with the bucket it wouldn't. It's only a few hundred dollars difference in price, but I think it is worth it. But you may have your reasons why you have to go with a narrow bucket.

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #4  
Is that tax and all? It is better if you break down the pricing to the individual items.

A 3520 can pull a 72" box blade which covers your tracks. For fresh earth removal, use the box blade and pull instead of push. Once the dirt is ripped up, you can use your FEL to scoop and move it. These size machines don't have the mass to just dig into fresh earth with the FEL easily.

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #5  
Your post title seems so familiar, please refresh me on the internet version of it.

Just an example of when to rent or buy. We had an old barn and sheds we wanted to tear down. We had to rip off roofs and pick out equipment. My brother rented a telehandler to do the job. Did we think about buying a telehandler just to get one job done? No.

As a property owner you have to gauge the routine things that will happen. Mowing grass and moving things around. So a mower and loader I find useful. I used to like to do a vegetable garden, and always wanted a rotary tiller. After buying one I wasn't happy with the results. It sure didn't look like the pictures. Maybe my tractor was underpowered for it.

I guess buy something you use routinely and with so many rental places out there rent specialty stuff when you need it.

Right now I'm thinking a cabbed compact tractor with FEL and mower is all I need for routine work. If I were gung ho on doing a lot of property maintenance and landscaping the Toolcat, although pricey, is what I would seriously consider.

And as I get older, the Toolcat seems a comfortable and easy way to keep active without climbing up things. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I was talking to my local JD dealer about a compact tractor. Just bring up the Toolcat as being a cool thing, and see what they say. You'll find out.

/ All your John Deere are belong to us #7  
I purchased a smiliar setup about 3 months ago, only I got the 3320, a grapple (all associated hydraulics), skid steer mount and a construction bucket (with replaceable cutting edge and toothbar), a JD trailer (3 cu ft) MX5, Frontier 6' box blade and air suspension seat for just under 25k. I purchased from Stark Street in Sherwood (great place - Tim was the sales man)

Look them up, you won't be sorry.

Derek

/ All your John Deere are belong to us
WOW, you people are the hardcore when it comes to giving good advice!

ronjhall, those links are going to be very helpful when I do my lawn. Basically, right now it is "natural" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's just grass, but it is silly rough and very uneven. There used to be trees quite a few years ago. Then the stumps were removed in 2002 I think. What is left is a weed/grass combo that looks like an ancient moonscape. It needs a lot of work I think. I was going to have a cat finish grade it and then I do the rest.

JasonMac, I didn't even think about the bucket width. Thanks for that advice. I'll probably stick with the 61" as I do indeed have quite a few obstacles around here, but I'll definately be sure I get the HD version.

Kyle_in_Tex, here's the line item version of the quote:
3520 w/R4 - 18,712
300CX w/61" bucket - 3,450
MX5 - 1,725
5' box scraper - 600

I like your idea about the wider box blade/scraper. It totally makes sense to get something that covers the tire tracks. I'll inquire about that for sure.

kude, the All Your Base Internet phenomena happened in 2001 I think? Anyways, a google search will make it all come back. Basically, a Japanese video game got REALLY poorly translated for the US market and someone posted it on a forum. Then a flood of funny edited pictures were posted. And it spread like wildfire. For those who are not into the Internet much the entire thing seems quite dumb (and indeed it may be).
I hear you about buying things that make sense to buy and renting the rest. Truth be told, I probably shouldn't be buying even the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I am not someone familiar with tractors AT ALL. I have not yet ever even driven one. But I can afford it and I want one really bad. We moved out into the country and this place has so much potential and is really run down (it might be more accurate to say "never improved"). I love being outside and I am not afraid to work my **** off. It will be a good life experience. The spousal unit has signed off so here we go...
I can't wait.
Toolcat you say? I'll check it out!

hilld, I've done biz with Stark Street (at the Stark street location. I am an eastsider) and they've been good to me. I will definately go see them. I've been by the facility you mentioned and it is MUCH bgger then their original Stark st location. I bought a Stihl from them a few years ago. A few months later I brought a friend in to check the place out, and I needed a few new chains. The guy I bought the chainsaw from could tell what was going on with me bringing friends in because of a good experience and sold us both chains ar 1/2 off or about his cost. After that I just bought all my small stuff there. I didn't even think about them as a JD dealer. So great advice!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I purchased a smiliar setup about 3 months ago, only I got the 3320, a grapple (all associated hydraulics), skid steer mount and a construction bucket (with replaceable cutting edge and toothbar), a JD trailer (3 cu ft) MX5, Frontier 6' box blade and air suspension seat for just under 25k. I purchased from Stark Street in Sherwood (great place - Tim was the sales man) )</font>
Sounds like some hardcore add-ons.
Can you explain what a grapple and skid steer mount are? With names like that, I want them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And how much was the seat? The ground is ROUGH around here!

I should add that I plan on doing more things with a tractor than just the lawn. I have about 3 acres of jungle to clear as well. And I mean JUNGLE. 15 foot high blackberry bushes, thousands upon thousands of species of utterly monstrous weeds (some are actually 7 feet high! - it's those ones that are purple in the spring and then poof out a blizzard of fluffy white stuff. And they are thorny and nasty). There's also thousands of sapplings, logs, stumps, holes, you name it. This will be the bulk of use for the first year for my tractor. Also I have about 700 feet of gravel driveway to keep up.
I also plan on using it when I build a bigger pole barn soon, in part because of the tractor + attachements (that's what you call circular logic at it's finest). Of course, I could easily get away with not doing any of these things, but that wouldn't be any fun.