PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #11  
Having 1000 rpm equipment prevents your neighbors from borrowing it. :D

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #13  
That's interesting, I never knew there was different category drive lines. Is there a standard for them (certain cat for certain HP? Ect.)

I don't have a chart handy to get you the specifics but look at a 3ph spin spreader and compare it to a heavy tiller or brush mower, big difference in size.

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #14  
I was told by an engineer friend that they went to the 1000 rpm PTO to drive newer light weight equipment. By lighter weight he ment without heavy fly wheels on balers and such. Do not know if this is true as we were baling hay at the time and I was only person on the wagon. My body was busy but my brain was in a limp home mode.

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #15  
540 rpm has been a standard PTO speed since the 1920's and there are many attachments that use that speed.

1000 rpm is a newer standard that came about for use with higher HP tractors. Since HP = Speed X Torque, increasing the speed allows the same HP to be transmitted with less torque. Therefore the long PTO shafts don't have to be so big.
There are fewer attachments available for 1000 rpm PTOs, and those that are available generally are those that require more HP to run.

I am not aware of a compact tractor that offers 1000 rpm PTO.

Plus one! Very good explanation.

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #16  
Interesting thread.

The PTO RPM is in the most part governed by the implement not the tractor, start running an implement designed for 540rpm at 1000rpm & the implement gearbox life is going to be severely shortened - exceeding both the design/operating speed also in most instances exceeds the lubrication/lubricant properties, generating excess heat, cavitation, harmonic stress, bearing failure...etc
Potentially the increased stress & harmonic loading throughout the PTO driveline may also induce catastrophic mechanical consequenses too which are transferred to the tractor -for example running a bush hog/slasher at 1000rpm almost doubles the driveline/greabox stress

Depending on the tractor, you may have few or many PTO speed options - for example a compact Iseki TX2160 has a 3 speed PTO @ 454/724/1185rpm

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM
JD 5m have optional 1000rpm

D.

/ PTO Question: 540 vs. 1000 RPM #18  
If one could go back in time and remake standards. Pto rpms would be either 900 and 1800rpm or 1000 and 2000rpm.