Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours??

/ Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours?? #1  

JEH

1st, I have to say this is truly a great site. I've been hanging around for a little while and love the info here. I can't find anything on my question in the archives so decided to post my question.

I'm looking to trade in my tractor (x485) on the 2305 and I'm curious how much year and hours factor in. If I trade a 2004 tractor in OR a 2005 tractor in with approx the same hours (300ish) should I expect to get more money for my trade? My dealer says no and it's all about hours. I have two tractors available to trade (friends or mine-same units). One has about 13 months of warranty left, the other approx 3 months. Again, he says no difference. Hours about the same, 1 year different, and 10 months difference on warranty. What do you think?

/ Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours?? #2  
It's all about hours, unless there is warrenty involved.

Warrenty is worth money, but three months is enough to cover anything found just after purchase so it migh be a wash. Warrenty value also depends on what extras there are that are prone to problems. If the machine has a lot of hydraulics or special steering (AWS or something), the warrenty would add more value.

Finally, just to toss in a separate comment. I'd rather buy a ten year old tractor with 1,000 hours that was used 100 hours a year for ten years than a ten year old tractor with two hundred hours that hadn't been run in the last five years.

Cliff

/ Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours?? #3  
Welcome to the forum.
I think the dealer is calling the shots, and its up to you if you take it or leave it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Doesn't really make a difference what we think. It's what matters to the dealer, and who he thinks will buy your trade-in, or what future business he thinks you will be good for in the future. But nearly-new has often taken a big hit from new, regardless of hours and trade, IMO.
I used to trade every year and would do it for about $1500, give or take some depending on what else was being purchased. That depended on the care and condition of the trade-in, not much else. If it still looked new, that was better than if it looked like I dragged it in behind my truck. Hey, they have to convince someone to buy it used, so you have to be convincing too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours??
Let me try to clerify as well a bit. I first priced out the trade on my firends 04' (told him it wasn't mine). Then I said what if I traded my 05' instead, if my friend decides to keep his own? He quickly said no difference. He knows I'm very interesting in the bigger tractor so I believe he's thinking he'll get an extra year to my 05' for nothing if I decide to trade my own and not my friends. Make sense?

Thanks for the quick replys and the welcome. I appreciate the help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any other thoughts?

/ Does one year really matter on trade?? Or hours?? #7  
Hours and year model both matter. You have to remember what the dealer can get an x485 for from the factory at his cost. So yours will will be worth less than that to them. I would try to sell it yourself if you can. I've decided when and if I want to move up, I'll try to sell mine myself to minimize my loss on depreciation.