Price Check John Deere 850 price check

/ John Deere 850 price check #1  

okiecraig

Bronze Member
Tractor
1972 MF 135 diesel, Kubota L3940
I'm looking for that first tractor and have my eye on a JD 850 with less than 1000 hrs. Drove it for about 15 minutes, does not appear to have any leaks, shifts easy. No power steering. I plan to use it to brushhog, keep my gravel road in shape, and add a FEL in the future for dirtwork and horse facility maintenence.

Does $5500 sound reasonable?

/ John Deere 850 price check #2  
The price is fair if all is good with the tractor. The only problem I would have is No Power Steering. You mention you want to use it for some horse maintainance. If your going to be scooping in tight spots such as cleaning the stalls, lack of power steering will put a strain on your arms turning that steering wheel. Buying a FEL will add a considerable cost to the tractor. You may be further ahead finding one with a loader already on it for a couple thousand more & with power steering.

/ John Deere 850 price check #3  
I sold my JD850 two years ago for $4200. It was 2WD, no power steering, rear power beyond, new factory engine cover.

Adding a FEL to that machine will be expensive once all the hydraulics are installed. Again, you will probably be better off getting one that already has the FEL installed.

/ John Deere 850 price check
thanks for the response - I think I will look for a larger tractor with a FEL.