John deere 2520

/ John deere 2520 #1  

PLUMBER

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I am about to purchase a 2520 with 200cx FEL ,62" deck ,ballast box and industrial tires ,also 3 pt quick connect i forget what they call it, just wondering what you guys think about these tires for mowing ,i wiil be doing obout 50% mowing and 50% loader work , hope i made the right choice ?
also i know its the first year for this tractor have there been any problems with them ,thanks for your input .

/ John deere 2520 #2  
I mow with R4's and unless you are in very sandy soil you should be fine> /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Also the quick hitch is called I match by JD /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jim.

/ John deere 2520 #3  
I drove a 2520 last week and was considering trading my 2210 for one until the dealer told me that the tractor is about 5" wider than the 47" snow blower that it calls for..

/ John deere 2520 #4  
I bought a 2305 for the same reason, also I thought it should have had more then 26.5 hp for the price. I do whish the 2305 had position control on the 3PH.

/ John deere 2520 #5  
My only other concern with the 2520 is the final drive. It seams small for what I wanted use it for.( backhoe and loader work) Its a cast aluminum housing that sticks pretty far down below the main axle drive and it apears to me to be dainte /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif to say the least.My Kubota uses a similar drive but the Kubota looks larger and is only used as a zero turn lawn mower (ZD 25) . Not a tractor that gets to lift attachments and drags them around . Just my opinion not a fact by any means. I was looking at trading in my 2210 for the 2520 but for only that reason I decided to wait. Everything else seems to be fine for the 30 minutes or so I looked at it.

Jim

/ John deere 2520 #6  
I have turfs on my 4100 and have not issue moving snow. If you get a thin layer of ice underneath, sometimes you slip and slide a tad, but in 4 years I have had no major issues plowing New England snowfalls with turf tires

/ John deere 2520 #7  
I've had my 2520 since November and posted elsewhere in this forum about it. Basically, its the same order as yours with r4 tires, rear work light, light guards and a toothbar. It's worked very well in the snow, even pulled a UPS truck up a steep hill, with the truck essentially dead weight due to the layer of ice under the snow. I've used it to clear a walking trail in the 27 acres of woods between my house and my parents. I buried the tractor to the axels in mud and it didn't slow it down a bit.
I've found it to be the perfect size and the tires don't mark up my lawn. I almost bought the 2210, waited for the 2305 and am very happy I made the step up to the 2520. I have zero complaints and plan to get a post hole digger for it this spring. Feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

/ John deere 2520 #8  
Those tires are fine for mowing. I had a 4310 and a 3720, both of which had the industrial tires and they tread as softly as my Dad's 335.

John M

/ John deere 2520 #9  
why are r4's not good on sandy soil?would the turf tires be a better option?

/ John deere 2520 #10  
I live a block away from the beach and the soil is very sandy and hilly ( my banks on either side of my driveway are at or greater than 45 degrees angle, the driveway itself is a 900 feet long and at its steepest point a 18 percent grade) . With tight turns and or in 4wd it pulls the grass by the clumps in my yard in some areas . My ZD25 uses R3's and doesn't pull up clumps but can also tear on the hills but not as bad as the R4's

Jim