JD 4120 hydraulic add on's

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
JD 4120 hydraulic add on\'s

Hi guys, I am in the process of setting up a 4120 on the JD web site and am confused on their choice of hyd options.
Can anyone explain what the following options are used for.

1. LVB25511 Electric diverter kit.$1,191
Is this for working the top and tilt three point rams from the loader joy stick when not using the loader? In short, does this solenoid valve switch fluid output between loader and top and tilt? Are the top and tilt rams plumbed or quick coupled into this valve?

2. LVB25513 Third Selective Control valve kit:$211
Is this used as a conventional dual control valve for top and tilt? Where is it mounted on the 4120?

3. LVB25312 Top and tilt field:$828
Is the above third control valve included in this kit along with the hoses and rams?

4. On the JD four and one bucket, can you factory buy this with the jaw control manipulated from the joy stick with a solenoid hyd valve or would this requir yet another control valve? Where would they mount this control valve, if separate?

5. Is there a factory option for a pair of steel hyd lines running down the loader arm for use of a 4n1 bucket or whatever? Part # ????

thanks a million,

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #2  
Re: JD 4120 hydraulic add on\'s

In general...

1. Electric diverter kit - This allows the fluid to be "diverted" to the rear couplers on the back of the tractor and then whatever implement or Top-in-Tilt cylinders would be controlled by the joystick. So either you control the front set or back set, but can't do both at the same time.

2. Third Selective Control valve kit: The tractor comes with two duals which gives you 4-outlets and this would bring the number to 6, so you could control a 3rd function on your rear implement. It would usually be mounted with the other two sets in the back.

3. Top and tilt field: This is just two cylinders and hoses that would be used in place of the fixed top link and side arm which would use the standard rear duals leaving the 3rd function free for something else.

4. JD four and one bucket - Don't know on that model, but on the larger ones you would order a "3rd function Mid-Mount control valve" and it would either use a side lever or some have options for loader stick mount. Check with the dealer on that.

5. Steel hyd lines running down the loader arm - This again is available on the larger ones, check with dealer.

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #3  

5. The add on lines are for the 300CX, 400X, and 400CX. The part number is BW15261. Here is a link to JD Parts.com. Type in 300CX as the part number and go to the Hydraulic Hoses and Oil Tubes - Third Function listing under Hydraulics (nder sectional index) to see pictures or scroll to the bottom of my webpage (link in sig).

I just installed these myself on my 300X/3320 (made them fit the 300X /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). They work great. Very pricey though - $260 just for that kit.

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #4  

George, are you upgrading your 970? Maybe have a couple of JD's parked in the barn? My education here on TBN (not complete -- certainly..) tells me that you can have a total of 5 hydraulic circuits on the '20 series. As mentioned, the electric diverter switches back and forth between the 2 circuits on the FEL and the 2 rear mounted ones needed for the top n tilt. The 5th hydraulic circuit could be used either in the rear or hardpiped down the loader frame to be used on the 4 and 1 bucket or with a grapple fork that JD (and others) has available. What is less clear to me (need more schooling...) is how a power beyond hookup might be plumbed into a tractor with 5 hydraulic circuits. Maybe the hydraulic/mechanical gurus in the forum will lend a hand in the discussion. Good luck with building your 4120. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif AKfish

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #5  

I have many of the same Q's ...

Could some guru perhaps draw a "diagram" of how the plumbing (with dotted lines for options) looks ...

I could understand a schematic much more than the "description" (or lack there of) provided by JD ...

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's

AKfish, I don't think there is anything left on the 970 to upgrade. I have tip and tilt dual SCV on right rear fender and my Long 4n1 runs off a solenoid button on top of joy stick handle. My 408 Bradco backhoe and DuAll trencher run off my home made power beyond couplers in the rear.
My latest addition to 970 was a pair of Goodyear 240/70R16 R1 radial tires on 990 rims to the front of the 970. These tires are 9.6 wide compared to the OEM 7X16 Firestones. But they have close to the same rolling radius (13.1 vs 13.6) as the OEM tires.
I love my 970 but am seriously thinking of getting a hydro. I do a lot of mowing with my flail and it seems that the right gear for the moment is between the two gears I have to choose from. On the other hand, now that the 970 is set up the way I want it I just hate to get rid of it.
And no, I can not afford to keep two tractors.
Also, my Bradco hoe has a float position on it's boom that works great for an dud like me and the JD 48 hoe does not have this feature. Worse, Bradco does not make a frame kit that will let me move the hoe to the JD 4120.
Soooo, I have make a tough choice here soon.

PS. Does any one know if the newer JD 448 hoe that replaced the 48 has this boom float feature?

cheers,

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #7  

Whoa... sounds like you should be the guy to explain creative ideas for hydraulic uses. How about pictures? I'd love to see how you plumbed in and mounted the top n tilt outlets. I don't have any idea regarding the possible float feature for the 448 hoe. Some of the guys that got 'em will know.
Knot to get too far off track here... I wanna get a mower of some configuration this next season. What model flail are you using?
Decisions, decisions. That's a knotty one... new tractor with hoe and FEL. Won't need a bucket with a 4in1, though!!
A new mower would sure be easier if my wife would get a 2nd job!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you jump in -- I'd be interested to hear how you come out with your dealer, too. AKfish

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #8  

Whoa... sounds like you should be the guy to explain creative ideas for hydraulic uses. How about pictures? I'd love to see how you plumbed in and mounted the top n tilt outlets. I don't have any idea regarding the possible float feature for the 448 hoe. Some of the guys that got 'em will know.
Knot to get too far off track here... I wanna get a mower of some configuration this next season. What model flail are you using?
Decisions, decisions. That's a knotty one... new tractor with hoe and FEL. Won't need a bucket with a 4in1, though!!
A new mower would sure be easier if my wife would get a 2nd job!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you jump in -- I'd be interested to hear how you come out with your dealer, too. AKfish

I have the 448 backhoe , the only difference in it and the 48 is the 448 is a curved boom and the 48 was a strait boom, other then that , the same

/ JD 4120 hydraulic add on's #9  
100_0304.jpgI just happen to have a 4120 that is for sale and has the 2 rear kits
1 is for the top link and side draft arm has a toggle switch which changes flow from loader control to rear 3 point control
the 3rd scv [ mine is an older machine 2008 ] is controlled by lever next to seat , you could run hoses from that under tractor up loader arms to bucket
I will have to get some better pics for you but this is what I have100_0310.jpg

Last edited: