Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top 'n Tilt, etc?

/ Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top 'n Tilt, etc? #1  

picker77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3032E, dual remotes, TnT, tooth bar, grapple
Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top \'n Tilt, etc?

I'm a babe in the woods on modern hydraulics, my current old '79 model tractor only has the basics (3-pt and steering). Starting to think about a new JD 2520/200cx or 3120/300cx, but JD's "options" list in the hydraulics area is confusing me.

I want to be able to control two individual rear hydraulic functions in the future (tilt/angle on a blade, etc.). I'd also like to be able to hang a small 4-pt mount backhoe on in the future without having to have a bunch of rear hydraulic refitting done. So I'm assuming I need "dual remotes". However, do I also (or instead of)need "power beyond"? And what about "top 'n tilt" at $900? Does TNT make some of the other remote options unneccessary?

There are several JD hydraulic options I'm not sure I understand. For instance: the 3120 has "dual mid selective control valve" as standard, with an option for a "third selective control valve kit" for $211. Exactly what is "dual mid", and does putting the "third SCV kit" on do for you? Does that mean you end up with THREE rear remotes, or only a single plus the "dual mid SCV" setup (which I don't even know what is, let alone whether I need it).

I will never use a mid mount mower. I MIGHT use a snow blower someday, but not now. I just want a solid tractor with loader that can handle at least two plug-in rear hydraulic circuits. A third might be nice, but not sure what I'd need it for, and the power beyond vs dual rear remote thing has me temporarily befuddled.

I'm worried about all this now because I'm assuming that ordering the tractor new with all this stuff preinstalled is significantly cheaper than piecing it together with individual kits later. I hope that's correct.

Sorry for the ignorance, but we all gotta learn sometime...

/ Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top 'n Tilt, etc? #2  
Re: Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top \'n Tilt, etc?

The Power Beyond option provides an unvalved hydraulic loop. It is intended for attachments that have their own valve, such as a log splitter or a backhoe.
The Top and Tilt option replaces two of the 3-point hitch linkages with hydraulic cylinders. You will definately want this if you plan on controlling angles with a rear attachment. This option can be purchased along with another option called the Electric Diverter Kit to allow the joystick to control the Top and Tilt cylinders. You get an illuminated rocker switch to select between the functions.
The combo of these two options is very expensive (about $2k if I remember right). I purchased these options on my 3520 and find them very usefull! Not just for the obvious ability to adjust angles on the fly, but also for picking up attachments. I can back up to an attachment that is not square and match it's angle quickly. The I-match adapter is the frosting on the lazy man's cake for that.
The 3rd SCV option gives you another handle and another set of outputs. Some people use it for controlling FEL attachments, such as angling a blade or operating a grapple.

/ Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top 'n Tilt, etc?

Thanks, Jeep. That's the first time I've heard somebody describe power beyond so I understood it! So, I suppose I can skip that option until I get a BH someday, unless it is a lot cheaper to install it now vs. later.

Now, about the SCV thing. JD says "Dual SCV is standard on 3120-3270 Tractors". Exactly what do you get with Dual SCV? Does this just consist of an extra lever that controls two sets of rear remotes already installed on the tractor when the dealer delivers it? If so, getting a third SCV may be overkill, although $211 sounded like a heck of a good price for an additional set of remotes on ANY tractor. However, if the standard "Dual SCV" that I mentioned above is already taken up with some other function, then I would need a third remote, unless I get the TNT. I'm getting a headache. And if I buy a 2520 (which does NOT come with Dual SCV's, then what extra remotes do I need to order? And do the 200cx and 300cx loaders have their own remote joystick that stays with the loader, or is that part of a permanent tractor valve installation? Sheesh... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sounds like it's time to take pencil and paper down to the dealership and get some hands-on education instead of driving you guys nuts on here.

/ Power Beyond vs. Dual remotes vs Top 'n Tilt, etc? #4  

Standard Dual SCV's are controlled by the joystick and control the loader functions. They are located just forward of the right side of the operator's station. They are considered "front" hydraulic outlets. In addition to the loader, they can control a front blower, broom, etc. These are standard on almost every Deere available (anything above a lawn tractor). The joystick/valve/couplers stay on the tractor when the attachment is removed.

The third SCV is a single set of hydraulic outlets on the rear of the machine. They are controled by a seperate lever. Actually, the valve for the 3rd SCV is standard on the tractor. The $211 just buys the lever and lines/couplers to use it.

It sounds to me like you want the standard Dual SCV, the optional 3rd SCV and the optional diverter valve mentioned above. With the flick of the switch, the diverter option will now direct the joystick control to an addition 2 sets of hydraulic outlets on the rear. You lose the use of the front outlets when the switch is activated to use the rear outlets. With all of these options, you get 2 sets up front and 3 sets out back. The top-n-tilt option would use the 4th and 5th outlets (controlled by the diverter).

This is how I have my 3720 setup. I know the 3000 and 4000 twenty series offer these options. I'm not sure if all of these options are available on smaller compacts.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Chris