Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me?

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me? #1  

hutch4472

Silver Member
Tractor
L35
Hello all thanks for your time in advance. What a great forum this is, between this one and the diesel truck forum I read I am a forum junky.

Well I’ve always had a dream since child hood to be a tractor owner/operator and a fireman. Well I wound up becoming a fireman and now I am trying to obtain the other half of my dream…….I have fallen in love with the JD 110 TLB. I like its capabilities and the fact I can pull it with my F350. I would really like to purchase one of these within the next 6 months to a year. I currently own 6 acres on which I plan to put a house on. The property is in the central California Foothills, rolling hills and mostly grass and oak trees. The ground around here is also quite hard and fairly rocky.

Here is my plan for the tractor, please let me know if I’m in the realm of reality with its capabilities or if it may not be enough. I plan to cut in the road/driveway. This I would guess to be around 2000ish feet long rolling hills. Then put down the base rock. Dig the septic system. Install culverts as necessary. Cut pad for house (modular) and shop (metal building). After using the tractor for these things (and many others I hope) I plan to use this tractor as a side job. My schedule (due to the 24 hour day type work) allows me fewer work days, and a fair bit of time off work each week. I would like to hire it (and myself of course) out, not necessarily hoping to make a bunch of money but just have some fun and maybe hope it helps pay for some of itself. I would like to equip it right away with the aux hyd front and rear, 4-N-1 in front and hyd thumb in back with quick connect 16 and 24 inch buckets, auger, and box blade. Any other suggestions?? Will a tooth bar fit on a 4-N-1 bucket? What size auger bits are standard for fence posts and such?

Is this tractor capable of doing what I want on my little 6 acres and do you think a guy could make a few bucks here and there with a machine like this. All the equipment owner operator folks around here seem to be rarely at an idle. Should I plan on 15% off MSRP being ballpark for a good deal?

Sorry for the ramblings and all the questions I am just new on the purchasing side and I want to get all the education I can on this big (for me) investment. I hope this tractor will be in my family for many years. Thanks again for your time, Tom.

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me?
Maybe I rambled to much with too many questions at once, sorry about that. I kinda turn into a bumbling idiot or a kid on X-mas day when I think about finally owning my own tractor.

So....for anyone with experience with or on the JD 110 TLB.....is it a machine capable of cutting in a 2000' road, house pad, and digging a septic system? Thanks a ton.

Also can those of you that trailer your tractors often recommend deck over flat bed or low profile? I like the deck over better but it weighs 2000 lbs more than the low profile trailer (Big Tex brand Gooseneck). Appreciate your time. Tom

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me? #4  
Last month we moved into a home we just built. I did pretty much all the things you plan on doing except I bought a used 2wd jd 310d. Even with this full size bh, I did have to hire an excavator for certain things. I looked for quite a while (over a year) and got a 1996 2wd one with 3500hrs for a great price, probably 20-25% of a new 110. I have hills and mud and if you take your time can do more than you think with the 2wd - I do suggest getting the front tires filled though. Now that the house is done (for the most part) I bought my jd 4110 to mow and do all the rest of the smaller fun stuff. Problem is, I like the backhoe too much to sell it. I figure what I paid for the used one, I saved 1.5 to 2 times that amount by not hiring out. If I bought a 40k-50k machine I would have lost money. Now if I do decide to sell it, my 4110 is paid for.

I don't know the exact price of a 110 (and I guess I assumed you were looking to buy new) but if you really plan on doing all that work, I'd suggest getting an old 310 or a case 580. Those seem to be just the right size for a backhoe. That is why they are everywhere and should be easy to sell in the end when you want to mow the lawn instead of compacting it.

As for doing other jobs part time, I've read several comments about that on old posts here about the liability and can only suggest to proceed with caution.

good luck

Ya a 310 is much more of a machine than the 110 no doubt, and used they are much cheaper than the 110 (yes I plan to buy new 40kish). I have put around 100 hours on a old 2wd 410 at work at one of our fire stations out in the woods. It is amazing what that thing will push, lift, and tear out of the ground. And yes I remember being suprised what even a HEAVY 2wd hoe will do especially if you counter weight by extending the hoe for traction. I was kinda afraid I would get a reply confirming I was execting too much from a 110. I mainly like it so much because I can trailer it with my one ton pickup and remove the hoe to use the 3pt. plus the skid steer attachment up front is nice. I dont know maybe I will just try it with a 110 and have to take my time (which is ok).

Anyway your logic certaintly makes sense and I have looked at some 310 and 580 used machines around, they are pretty cheap and a dime a dozen around here. I just dont want to also need to buy a dump truck and heavy equip trailer plus Class A CDL to move the hoe around which I will need to do a fair bit. And I also read about the hire it out thing being a risky endevour at times. Anyhow sure appreciate your words of experience. Tom

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me? #6  
Can you rent from a local store, say a 110 excavator, take care of the initial big stuff, and still buy the 110/39/48 TLB and finish things up? I have a 48, just put in 1700 ft or so road for my sister in law, who splits the old family farm with us, 12 and 12 acres each, abutting... I did two perc tests for her also, however, I am not using the 48 for the cellar hole as it is too rocky, boulders, and tons of ledge eveywhere.... Her septic, has to be put in by a licensed installer, which I am not. I will get a 110 to do the cellar hole,,.,, the rest will finish up with my 48...

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me? #7  
Sorry for not posting earlier, but I have to wait for a time that the 2 yr old isn't helping me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought a 110 tlb last year, have 200 hours on it now. Rather than speak to your specifics, I'll do opinions...

As far as capabilities, almost any tractor is capable of doing what you want.. If you have enough time. The 110 is a very capable machine.

I have no experience with the 4n1 bucket. I went the route of the 72" heavy bucket with teeth & a root/rock grapple. The reason i did this was because I didn't want to "beat up" the 4n1 on heavy dirt work. Also the more weight you put out on the FEL the less you can lift all the time. The quick attach makes switching buckets a 4 min operation & I find I use it all the time. When heading out to do any work, I start with the grapple on the tractor with the regular bucket in the grapple. Change as necessary.

I wouldn't waste my time with the JD thumb for the backhoe. It is poorly built & weak. See if the dealer has another source for this (IMHO)

Get your tires loaded. This is going to affect your ability to remain non-CDL however... I find the loader can outperform the weight of the backhoe. When confronted with a rock that is more than the loader is capable of, I lift the back of the tractor with the backhoe boom as I lift the FEL... Pull the backhoe boom up & the loader will hold the load, But the tractor is quite unstable with unloaded tires. Please do not ever try this, It is VERY DANGEROUS

My 110 is currently at the tractor shop getting the tires foamed..

The backhoe on this machine kicks azz!! Most 20-24 in pine stumps and most 18-20 in oak stumps take 20min to pull. My property is mostly rock with some clay mixed in.

Please do get the rear remotes, you will never regret it.

I wouldn't bother with the 16" bucket, The hoe doesn't need it for more power. I find the 24" bucket to be the smallest trench I want to work in. I also have the 36" smooth backhoe bucket for finish work. I didn't buy my smooth bucket from JD, but had it made from my local welding outfit for 3/4 price

Please make sure you get a skid plate for under the belly. There is alot of exposed plumbing under there. Many people have knocked JD for this exposed area, But the 110 is not made to be a farm tractor first, TLB second. I like the way the hydraulics are setup, they are faster than most. I know the specs might say differently, but they are better IMHO

Things I don't like about the 110-

Fuel filler is a pain to fill with a fuel can. Probably a dream with a service station nozzle.

The ROPS makes tinking sound that I can hear with my ear protection on & the radio playing in the headphones. Seems to get better after the ROPS "warms up"

I have an opinion on everything, just ask /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Please help, Is the JD 110 TLB right for me? #8  
Hey Tom

Sorry it took so long to get back to you... been traveling again.

Anyway, your needs sound very similar to mine. I wanted a tractor to help me with my owner builder projects... on a couple parcels I have.

Thousand foot driveway.... runnning utilities, septic systems, foundation trenches, etc.

Some folks said I should have bought a used one... But, my thinking and or bias is as with cars and trucks - I just don't have the time to repair the machine if something goes wrong. Rather buy new to avoid potential hidden problems. Not sure if this is correct but, whenever I have bought used - I have always been disappointed.

Also, As was with one of the last replies to your posting said I did not get the 4 in 1 cause of the weight issues. But, I also left off the extra hydrolics just cause of my budget... the extra 5 to 6K would have put me over the top. Dubba's post was right on! And helpful to me as well. One opinion more - what ever you choose just read lots of posts - it will really help you to decide what exactly you need.

Check with your dealer on JD financing... and although I applied a large downpayment - I got them to carry about 25% of the cost for 2 years interest free. My suggestion is to shop as much as possible and read as many posts regarding pricing as possible.... I know a while back someone posted a states DOT pricing/costs on the web - this helped a great deal for comparrison purposes.... one more thought - I could not seem to find a dealer in Oregon that was in the ball park... so, I drove a few thousand (Texas - and thanks to poster Kyle in Texas) miles to save thousands!

I also picked the 110 cause cause I could haul it (to my other property) and I did not want the extra license and permit costs/requirements for the commercial class... wow - those can be very expensive! Plus, it was the smoothest operating as compared to the orange machines and well it was the best looking as well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I have a neighbor with a very large JD backhoe and dozer... which he said I could use if needed. Simply the best of both worlds.

As I mentioned on my other posting - Big Tex trailer worked very well.

No more rambling for now...

Later
Charlie

LarryRB, thanks for the reply,
Ya I can certaintly see needing to hire a few of my projects out. Part of the reason the war department (dear wife) approved this venture is that I basically said this tractor can do everything we need. But when it comes right down to it I know she will understand if a few of our projects need a bigger machine if not for time sake then for sake of not beating our machine to heck. That L48 looks like quite a beast. Tom

dubba: sure appreciate you sharing your 110 knowledge. I understand how HELPFUL those little ones can be, I've got a 17 month old that LOVES helping me smash keys on the computer.

I see your point on the 4-N-1 bucket weight. Can you give me an idea of what the rock grapple cost you? I know I want a grapple but perhaps it is better as a second bucket rather than just one multipurpose. I do plan on getting the aux hyd front and back. Basically I plan on getting every option offered: 55w alt, skid pan, rear lights, stabilized pads and guards, etc.. I had planned on the JD thumb until I read your post and one other about the poor JD model. You have any advise on which thumb to buy?

I am also glad you mentioned the 16" bucket not being necessary for hoe power purposes. I was planning on getting a 16 and a 24. I think maybe just a 24" is all for now.

I was wondering about getting the tires filled. Is it a choice between fluid and foam? If so obviously you like foam better huh? How much weight does that add? And how much $ if you dont mind me asking. I currently have a CDL but just a Class B not an A so not sure what to do there. Wonder what it takes to upgrade besides money. I do see what you mean about a 8000lb tractor (non filled tires) and a gooseneck will certaintly be over 2000lbs. The ones I have been looking at are 3975lbs for the low profile between the wheels deck and 5990 for the over the wheels deck (Big Tex 14k 26 foot). I wanted to go 26 foot to leave alittle rood for implements not attached, maybe thats not necessary.

Nice to hear about the backhoes power.

Ya I kinda didnt like the location of the fuel cap and the kinda cheeze fuel gauge just from looking in the pictures. I plan on putting a fuel transfer tank (60 Gal) in the bed of my truck with a 12v gas station style filler so maybe that will help out.

Anyway thanks again for your insight. Tom