Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres #1  

lfalkenh

I am looking at getting a tractor/trailer set up for about 100 acres...about 30% of it is cleared that I would want to periodically mow...been looking at the 5103...here is my issue...I need to buy a trailer now and can't buy the tractor (even with financing due to closing issues on the land) for a couple of months...I am thinking about a 16' 7000lb tandem...will that work? or is the 5103 too big for what I am doing? thanks...newbie...

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres #2  
Couple of questions:

1) Are you going to get a front end loader?
2) Are you going to want to transport the tractor with implements attatched?

If answeris yes to both, I would get a 20 foot 12K trailer. It's what we use to transport a similar size tractor with FEL and 6 foot cutter.

Also with 30 acres of mowing I would want a large cutter. A 6 footer would take some time to mow 30 acres.

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres #3  
I went with a 24' Big Tex gooseneck. 12GP. With a FEL and mower on the back, it will take up a lot of that room. Don't skimp on the trailer. I wish I had gotten the heavier duty one. (14GP).

D.

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres
I was planning to get a front end loader and shredder...the main reason to move the tractor would be to take it for service...the rest of the time, I will use the trailer for trips to home depot, tractor farm supply, etc.

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres #5  
A low dollar 7K lb trailer will work fine for Home Depot or Lowes BUT, you'll need at least a 10K lb with brakes on both axles to safely pull that machine on it.

The tractor will cut fine with a 6 foot cutter. Plan on 12-16 hours to cut that much depending on obstacles.

/ Tractor/Trailer Configuration for 100 acres #6  
Not sure how far it is to your dealer, but my dealer prefers to come to the farm and service the tractor there. In fact, there is little if any extra charge for the on site service and it sure makes it easier for me.

Hopefully, you have that option available to you.