Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320?

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #1  

BluRidgDav

Different On Ramp 62D MMM\'s for 2520 and 2320?

I went to a nice Open House at my local JD Dealer yesterday.
They had a 2520 tractor there to demonstrate the new OnRamp 62D mower. The 62D for the 2520 has been reconfigured as a "ground contact" mower, as opposed to the original "suspended" 62C mower. Mowing height is set by adjusting the height of the 4 wheels that the deck rolls along on. It was very easy on & off, and the iMatch can pick it right up for cleaning, or putting the mower deck back in the barn, etc. Very slick!

The only thing that was missing, was a way to keep it in the full UP position when you want to use the TPH for something else. The salesman said that the old Latch Pin Kit for holding up older 60" & 72" MMM's on the 4110 & 4115 was not available for the 2520. So if you want to use the TPH, you kinda gotta remove the 62D completely? Even then, the trailing arms leading back to the rear axle, will continue to drag along in the dirt anytime the TPH is lowered. You can actually see these dragging arms in the JD advertizing animation that's running at the top of the TBN page!

The only solution seems to be buying the Independent Hydraulic Mower Lift option?

On the way out, I picked up a "2006 Commercial & Comsumer Equipment Purchasing Guide". This is a half-inch thick book with specs on almost the complete JD line of stuff. On page 51, are the specs for the OnRamp MMM's. Down at the bottom of the 62D column is the following information about weight: 422 lb. (62D1), 497 lb. (62D2)

Looks like there are (or will be) 2 different 62D OnRamp mower decks?

I remember hearing that the new 2320 tractor (due out in Spring? / June? 2006) will have a mower height adjustment knob on the floor of the operator's station ala the 2210 & 2305?

Do ya think (know) this 62D will be "suspended" like the original 62C?
If yes, will it probably weight more (497 lb) or less (422 lb) than the 62D that's a "ground contact" version on the 2520?

Thanx, Dave.

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #2  
Re: Different On Ramp 62D MMM\'s for 2520 and 2320?

Dave--I guess it depends on how you define ground contact--my dealer calls the 62D a suspended deck, and from the way I see it operating it acts like a suspended deck--the wheels are there to keep from scalping if the ground is uneven/bumpy. The cut height is set by the knob in front of the ROPS (yes, with the independent lift kit), and therefore it is suspended at that height when you drop the deck. If your deck wheels are set correctly and you have you a perfectly flat lawn (I know I don't) your deck wheels may never even need to touch the ground. I think the drive over thing is a cool way to get the deck off, but moving all the pins etc needed to pick it up with the 3pt or iMatch just seems like it would be a PITA, so I'll likely find a convenient to place to drop it and leave it. Hope this helps.

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #3  

pic of the height control knob.

Last edited:
   / Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320?

Thanx B8fish!

Your photo of the Ind Hyd Lift kit was really helpful.
It reminds me of the adjustment system on the Kubota 7510 "Turf Special",
which acts as a block on the downward travel of the TPH.
(only more Deere-phisticated of course).
Could you decribe how it actually functions?
Do you still have the training arms leading back from the rear of the mower deck,
to brackets built around the rear axle?

The demo-2520 at Saturday's show did NOT have this IHL option.
Cutting height was simply set "the old fashioned (ground contact) way",
by pinning the 4 wheels of the mower at the desired height,
then lowering the whole unit onto these wheels,
and away ya go, rolling on the wheels and mowing.

Because of the 2 different (62D1 & 62D2) decks listed in the book I picked up,
and the rumor that the 2320 would have a mower-height-knob on the floor,
I was just wondering if maybe there was a "suspended" 62D in the works?
Maybe the 2320 will use this same IHL knob mounted onto the floor?

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #5  

BRD--can't really answer the question as I took the deck off about 10 minutes after the tractor got home /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But, I can tell you that the two decks are for the two different machines (at least from the owners manual, one is for the 2520, one for the 2320--maybe why there is a weight difference?) With the deck off, the ind.lift hoses are disconnected, so I'm not raising and lowering the deck. The two arms drop down, and I believe that they are contolled by the Ind Lift cylinder--maybe that is where the stop functions?
I'll check when I get home later in the week if no one else answers the question.

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe the 2320 will use this same IHL knob mounted onto the floor? )</font>

I have the sales brochure that was linked here on TBN for the 2305 and 2320/2520. They definitely show the dial knob on the floor of the 2320, looks exactly like the one on the 2305.

Thought I had saved the link somewhere to that brochure but I’m not able to find it....a search on TBN for 2320 would probably bring it up. Someone had also posted it was due out in May, I’m curious, but price is still a question mark.

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320?

Went back to look at the JD2520. It's "ground contact" 62D On-Ramp deck definitely read "62D2", which is the 497 lb version. Probably because of the larger wheels and wheel brackets. My guess is that the 62D1 will come "suspended" under the new JD2320, and only weigh 422 lbs without the "ground contact" wheels set-up?

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #8  

Hi
I just recevieved my 2520 with 62D2 deck. If the deck Operator’s Manual(54D, 62D1, 62D2) is right this is what it says. The specifications are the same for both decks including width, length, cutting height, cutting width, weight etc. The weight of both decks is 275 lbs. Both use the same blades, but they use a different deck belt. It shows no differences in the manual but I am guessing that the placement of the gear box is different on the two decks. The 26D2 has the gear box off center as the mid PTO is more off center than the 2305 is anyway and I think might be the case with the 2320. That would explain the different belt size. The gear box is mounted to a plate that is mounted to the deck with isolators. I have not run the unit let, so can’t comment on noise levels.

The 62D2 is a suspended mount deck and is held in position by either the height gauge knob mounted by the ROPS as noted by B8FISH above if the independent lift kit is used or by the Rockshaft control if the Mechanical lift is used. The manual says” IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! The mower deck can be damaged if mower wheels are adjusted wrong: Wheels must not ride on ground supporting mower weight. ….”.

I had all my equipment delivered unassembled and am in the process of putting it together. I have found that I know as much about doing this as the dealer and when finished I understand the machine. Plus it is fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I am also installing a Fasse multiplier value so I will have a true independent lift for the deck.

Hope this helps

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...I am also installing a Fasse multiplier value so I will have a true independent lift for the deck.

Hope this helps)</font>

Can we look forward to a good play by play of the install with plenty of pics and a review? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Different On Ramp 62D MMM's for 2520 and 2320? #10  

I didn't like the trailing arms either, so I had them put the independent lift kit on my 2520 and 62D. No more trailing arms! This is definitely the only way to go, IMO.