Thinking of trading in

/ Thinking of trading in #1  

I am thinking of trading in My Cub Cadet 1042 for a Deere. I have been very unhappy with this mower when I try and go uphill it just bogs down or stops. I know there is a recall on this problem and the shop is checking into this now. It is back in for repairs (again) and it only has 20 hours on it. This was my very first lawn tractor and appears to have been a poor choice. I am looking for some recommendations from this crowd on which deere would be good for me. A couple features I really like on the CC and want to get again is the 42" deck, the hydrostatic transmission, and the ability to mow in reverse, and the mulching plug. I have about 1 acre with about a 20 degree incline in the backyard. I have very few obstacles to mow around. I also would like a deck that is easy to remove for cleaning because I am a fanatic about constantly cleaning my mower deck, even on my push mower. Any suggestions this group has for me are welcome. Thanks, I look forward to hearing from some of you.

/ Thinking of trading in #2  
I have a x585 and love it, I mow 2 acres with it and the deck is very easy to take off and clean. I have 100 hours on it now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Thinking of trading in #3  
I think you would be happy with a John Deere. The only problem is that you will be taking a step up in price to get what you would want. Personally, I do not hink there is that much difference between most of the lawn tractors out there, except for power plants (to me Kawi is #1). Once you move into the garden tractor size you begin to see some major differences. My dad has a 335 with a 48" deck. It has a diff lock and plenty of HP for its size, so it is a nice choice. The ultimate is the X series. Those machines are available with MFWD and are the best out there. They also probably are the most expensive. The key among the new Deere's is that the 400 and 500 series are now the X700's and the former 300's (like my dad's) are now the 500's, so keep that in mind. They are also now putting the HDAP style tires on the 500 series, so they will be even better on hills. Some folks will make a point about the drive belt on the 500's, but don't. Those machines do fine with a drive belt as the new one's are quite strong. But, if all shaft and hydro is your thing the X700's are tough to beat.

John M

/ Thinking of trading in #4  
I went from a JD LX288 to a X475 last year. What a difference. Went from 17 hp 48" deck to 23 hp 54". I really like the power steering and ability to mow at 8mph in some parts of my yard. Liquid cooled runs quieter, diff lock comes in handy mowing ditches. The hydraulic deck is overrated, no more quick lifts to dodge a tree root.
But, I'm already trading to a 2520. JC

/ Thinking of trading in #5  
If you absolutely must have an easy to remove deck, look at the X500 Series-