Tractor
    John Deere 4440

Default need advice on older large JD tractor

I am in the market for an older 70's - 80's model JD tractor with cab and 75-150 HP. I have 15k to spend if need be, but would prefer to keep it closer to 10k if at all possible.

I am needing the tractor for just basic farming on a small scale. That is plowing and planting a maximum of 60 acres.

I know nothing about these older tractors, but am strongly leaning towards JD as parts seem readily available and the JD dealer is 5 miles from house. The next closest dealer of any brand is 25 miles.

Default Re: need advice on older large JD tractor

Same reply from me as on your other post.

John Deere 4020 Diesel. Price probably 6 to 10 K depending on condition.

Egon [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD5x10, 2950

I was in the same shape, and ended up getting a 2950 with cab/air. It is about 90 hp, and has 16 speeds. The 6 cyl engine has been doing very well, and is known to be a good one. I've been disking, and plan to do a lot of hay work. This series goes from 2750 thru 3250, if you want different hp. The chassis is common. You should be able to find these in the $13-15K range.

Tractor
    John Deere 4440

Thanks for the replies guys. Bought a 4430 at an auction today. More tractor than I need (125 PTO HP) but I got it at a heck of a price. They did have a 4020 there that actually went for more than this tractor.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD5x10, 2950

Good job. The 4020 is a wonderful tractor, and it popular. The 4430 hasn't been "discovered" yet. Enjoy!

Platinum Member EquipmentJunkie's Avatar
    Tractor
    Ford 1520

The Deere 4430s were a very popular tractor. I was actually going to suggest a 4430 for you before I came across your later post. If it doesn't quite fit your needs, you can always sell it and recover most of your money.