Buying Advice need advice on older large JD tractor

/ need advice on older large JD tractor #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am in the market for an older 70's - 80's model JD tractor with cab and 75-150 HP. I have 15k to spend if need be, but would prefer to keep it closer to 10k if at all possible.

I am needing the tractor for just basic farming on a small scale. That is plowing and planting a maximum of 60 acres.

I know nothing about these older tractors, but am strongly leaning towards JD as parts seem readily available and the JD dealer is 5 miles from house. The next closest dealer of any brand is 25 miles.

/ need advice on older large JD tractor #2  
Same reply from me as on your other post.

John Deere 4020 Diesel. Price probably 6 to 10 K depending on condition.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ need advice on older large JD tractor #3  
I was in the same shape, and ended up getting a 2950 with cab/air. It is about 90 hp, and has 16 speeds. The 6 cyl engine has been doing very well, and is known to be a good one. I've been disking, and plan to do a lot of hay work. This series goes from 2750 thru 3250, if you want different hp. The chassis is common. You should be able to find these in the $13-15K range.

/ need advice on older large JD tractor
Thanks for the replies guys. Bought a 4430 at an auction today. More tractor than I need (125 PTO HP) but I got it at a heck of a price. They did have a 4020 there that actually went for more than this tractor.

/ need advice on older large JD tractor #5  
Good job. The 4020 is a wonderful tractor, and it popular. The 4430 hasn't been "discovered" yet. Enjoy!

/ need advice on older large JD tractor #6  
The Deere 4430s were a very popular tractor. I was actually going to suggest a 4430 for you before I came across your later post. If it doesn't quite fit your needs, you can always sell it and recover most of your money.